Free TurboTax Premier from Fidelity

Here is why some of you see the offer and some don't. You have to qualify for "Active Trader Services" or "Active Trader VIP" (see Clipboard03).

"Active Trader Services" requires you have both the # trades and the dollar amount. "Active Trader VIP" could give it to you if you just have a million dollars with Fidelity, so I'm told.

The free TurboTax shows up under Advanced services (see Clipboard02)

Like others said, just call the rep.
1mm would qualify one for Private Client Group status, but not all PCG members get it automatically.
I pushed for it in my rep meeting, was kind of turned down, but then it appeared the other day.:angel:

Like others said, just call the rep.
1mm would qualify one for Private Client Group status, but not all PCG members get it automatically.
I pushed for it in my rep meeting, was kind of turned down, but then it appeared the other day.:angel:

That seems to be the case -- part of the decision to offer it is up to the rep.

I found that out some years ago when I had been PCG for a few years but never got the offer. I had a meeting with my rep on an unrelated matter one day and asked about it. He just said "Oh, I didn't know you used it. I'll put you on the list."

I've had the offer automatically ever since.

This shows up on the summary view after logging in? Because we’re not seeing any mention of TurboTax.

Did it go away?

I think everyone's Summary Page may be different. To see the Turbo Tax link I had to click on the Customize link (upper right corner) and add it. See my post 59.

Thanks to the previous posts that clarified the process, especially to Cobra9777. I got the free Premier dowload to work for me. The hangup is you need to first log into or create your Turbotax account, then do the "Products & Pricing" tab at the top and follow through with the "CD/Download Products", go through putting in credit card info even though total will be $0.00 and then once the order is completed you get the link to download the program to your computer. Otherwise the Turbotax online tries to get you to do it online if you just click on the "Start Premier" on the page where the "Products & Pricing" tab is. I prefer the download version.

At the top of the page, pull down on "Products & Pricing" and select "CD/Download products." From there, you have the familiar free download of Premier including 5 free federal e-files.

I hope you aren't moving to VG because you think you'll get a more useful "flagship support representative." Ours have been useless. They specialize in getting back to you very quickly, with verbose emails that, when parsed, show that they didn't really understand the question, and didn't know enough to say so. I haven't asked them for help in years.

Well I just might be moving to Vangaurd or Chuck

I can't find the offer either, even though my circumstances are virtually identical to this time last year (still "Fidelity Premium Services", still slightly under $1M).

I have made sure all the cards are enabled on my summary page.

Maybe they are staging availability to avoid overloading Intuit's servers. Or maybe I am out of luck this year :-(

Thanks to the previous posts that clarified the process, especially to Cobra9777. I got the free Premier dowload to work for me. The hangup is you need to first log into or create your Turbotax account, then do the "Products & Pricing" tab at the top and follow through with the "CD/Download Products", go through putting in credit card info even though total will be $0.00 and then once the order is completed you get the link to download the program to your computer. Otherwise the Turbotax online tries to get you to do it online if you just click on the "Start Premier" on the page where the "Products & Pricing" tab is. I prefer the download version.

I've never had to input credit card info. before and I don't know why they want one now.

It properly shows $0.00 for the price but it won't let me proceed until I put in a valid number. I tried putting in random numbers and it's checking to make sure it's valid.

Anyone else able to download without putting in billing info.?

I've been downloading for about 5 years now, this is the first time I'm running into this BS.

AFAIK, I've always had to put in a credit card for a zero charge, just like I've always had to sign in to my actual Turbotax account when doing it. Nothing new. Are you really sure about not putting it in before?

I've never had to input credit card info. before and I don't know why they want one now.

It properly shows $0.00 for the price but it won't let me proceed until I put in a valid number. I tried putting in random numbers and it's checking to make sure it's valid.

Anyone else able to download without putting in billing info.?

I've been downloading for about 5 years now, this is the first time I'm running into this BS.

If you need a card number to use that doesn't belong to anyone, try Visa 4111 1111 1111 1111. Use any 3-digits for the CVV and pick an expiration date in the future. This is a well known number that's used for testing payment software. It won't work if the system actually sends the number over to the payment processor for authorization, but if they're just locally validating the number before deciding that they don't need to process a $0 charge it should get you past that point.

AFAIK, I've always had to put in a credit card for a zero charge, just like I've always had to sign in to my actual Turbotax account when doing it. Nothing new. Are you really sure about not putting it in before?

Maybe not absolutely sure.

Just don't recall having to do it before.

So everyone else has been inputting their card numbers to get the download?

If you need a card number to use that doesn't belong to anyone, try Visa 4111 1111 1111 1111. Use any 3-digits for the CVV and pick an expiration date in the future. This is a well known number that's used for testing payment software. It won't work if the system actually sends the number over to the payment processor for authorization, but if they're just locally validating the number before deciding that they don't need to process a $0 charge it should get you past that point.

That worked!

We need to save this thread.

I think everyone's Summary Page may be different. To see the Turbo Tax link I had to click on the Customize link (upper right corner) and add it. See my post 59.

OK - we can try this.

But I have a feeling we're going to have to make a call to the client group this year.

Last edited:

Maybe not absolutely sure.

Just don't recall having to do it before.

So everyone else has been inputting their card numbers to get the download?

I do not recall entering my CC info in the past. This was the first year, even though nothing ever got charged.

Wish I had seen cathy's 4111 suggestion first. Very interesting that it actually worked. Then again, with all the personal information we trust TurboTax to protect, I'm not overly concerned about the CC info. Just a little puzzled as to why they asked for the information this year.

Well, I've followed the suggestions and I simply don't see where it might be hiding. We are private client, have well over the minimums, and many accounts. I do have a custom landing page, but I don't see anyplace to add Fidelity Investor Community, nor any of the other referenced options people have found. I had it last year. Aargh. May need to get DH to log in tonight - perhaps it shows under his account since he is less likely to have adjusted the landing page.

Well, I've followed the suggestions and I simply don't see where it might be hiding. We are private client, have well over the minimums, and many accounts. I do have a custom landing page, but I don't see anyplace to add Fidelity Investor Community, nor any of the other referenced options people have found. I had it last year. Aargh. May need to get DH to log in tonight - perhaps it shows under his account since he is less likely to have adjusted the landing page.

You have to be invited into the Fidelity Investor Community, but that has nothing to do with the TT offer.

I clicked the link on Fidelity's page and got an error message. I went back a few minutes later and it clicked through to TT. I created a new account. Following the instuctions in post #50, I was able to download a Mac copy without entering a credit card.

Downloaded the Free 2018 TurboTax Premier for Mac from Fidelity yesterday. No issues.

Next year I'll have that postcard return that they're bragging about.

I buy the CDrom wherever I like (often at Costco) and email my scanned receipt to my Fido account rep. He then credits the cost back to my Fido cash fund account each year.

Hmmm.
Again I had sent my Private Client team an email saying I can't find the free TT link and they sent me a $20 off link.
$110 charge to get taxes filed.
I'll complain to FIDO again.
Not real happy this keeps happening. Wonder what other benefits I qualify for that I'm not receiving?

Back
Top Bottom