Getting a little push back on "partial ER"

FYI to the folks asking about things like health insurance. Usually in a professional services based partnership your income is self employment income and the partnership doesn't "pay" for any of the benefits. Doesn't matter if you have the partnership pay for benefits or you pay them out of your pocket since its all the same to your bottom line and how the IRS will tax you...

I am a shareholder in my small firm. We have a formal buy sell agreement that spells out early retirement and part time options for shareholders. One stipulation is that you are not eligible to cut back or retire early without reaching a certain milestone age + service time (for me the # is 50 years old). Second you have to sell your portion of the business proportionate to the amount of hours cut back. In other words if I cut back to 75% I would be required to sell 25% of my shares back to the company and I would be paid for them over 5 years. The calculation of share values is also laid out in the buy sell agreement.

Well, it looks like my company is going to push me into taking more time off, whether I want it or not. Currently, I get 200 hours per year, can accrue up to 400, but anything over 200 gets paid out after the end of the year.

Just got a memo that says they're changing it. I still get the 200 hours per year, but can only accrue up to 300 total, and then it gets capped. And the only time they'll do a payout anymore is when you're terminated.

The rebel in me wants to find a way to fight this, but I know I need to just chill out and accept it.

I'll still get my 95 hour overage paid out in January 2012, which will get me back down to 200. And I'll have to find a way to use at least 100 hours over the course of 2012, since I'll be accruing another 200, but can only keep 100. That would put me at 300, my max. But then, from 2013 on out, I'll have to find a way to use up at least 200 per year.

Well, it looks like my company is going to push me into taking more time off, whether I want it or not. Currently, I get 200 hours per year, can accrue up to 400, but anything over 200 gets paid out after the end of the year.

Just got a memo that says they're changing it. I still get the 200 hours per year, but can only accrue up to 300 total, and then it gets capped. And the only time they'll do a payout anymore is when you're terminated.

The rebel in me wants to find a way to fight this, but I know I need to just chill out and accept it.

I'll still get my 95 hour overage paid out in January 2012, which will get me back down to 200. And I'll have to find a way to use at least 100 hours over the course of 2012, since I'll be accruing another 200, but can only keep 100. That would put me at 300, my max. But then, from 2013 on out, I'll have to find a way to use up at least 200 per year.

Welcome to the mainstream. Your previous set up was uncommon.

And, in 2012 it's going to be my goal to take off more time than I did in 2011.
Sounds like the company is trying to help you reach your 2012 goal.

I took off 8760 hours last year, and I'm on track to achieve the same this year. If it goes well then I'm shooting for 8784 hours in 2012...

Few employers want people who don't live for their work these days. Some talk about "work/life balance" but it's a smokescreen to look like they care. There may some workplaces (mostly privately held, I'll bet) where they do care a little bit, because they don't have shareholders threatening to fire them if they don't treat their employees like disposable commodities so they can squeeze out every last cent in the earnings report.
You nailed it, Zig.

Back
Top Bottom