How do you cheer yourself up after mistake purchase?

What bugs me is so many chair and other pieces of furniture that appear to be comfortable are not once you get to spend time using the piece. Perhaps there is some subjectivity as everyone is built a little different and their idea of comfort may be different, but still I think the manufacturers of these products could do better.

I would also probably donate or give away to someone I know if they wanted the piece.

When I do get fooled I hold a grudge forever - e.g. I got screwed on a 1997 Volvo so I’ll never buy another Volvo as long as I live (even though they’ve changed owners since then). I guess that’s how I get even with merchants who fool me

I had a 1986 Volvo that was a piece of junk. I haven’t even considered another Volvo since. Same thing with any GM vehicles since DW owned one when we got married. It was nothing but trouble.

If a problem can be fixed by throwing money at it, I generally don't like to spend too much time spending "feelings" on top of that.

But you can also consider that a deposit in the bank of lessons learned:

I almost never buy anything that cannot be returned, definitely not something significant. If the return policy is non-existent or limited, I move on.

Try then buy, and trust reviews. Furniture is so iffy, if I can't sit on it and visit it a few times in a store, I'm very reluctant to buy (unless a super flexible return policy). Reviews help. My last sofa was repeatedly reviewed as very firm and yet super comfy, exactly what I wanted, and exactly what it is irl. My mattress was online only, but came with a super easy return policy, and I read tons of reviews and articles before I bought it. My reclining loveseat, we tried in store, loved it, and then it started making odd sounds in the mechanics 6 months later - they replaced with a new one.

For expensive things, I also want to know the store/brand provides excellent service. I want to know if there are delivery problems, or if there is the tiniest of blemishes, they will take it away and bring a new one, no questions asked, and not just for 30 days.

All this takes a bit of homework, and means I can fall in love with a thing but then find I can't risk it. But that's pretty rare.

There’s an old decision making principle that says sunk costs don’t count.
Go buy some new ones and be happy.

This is so true.

I bought a boat last year and gradually realized it is not a good fit for our boating/fishing style.

I got caught up in regretting the purchase for a few weeks. DW finally told me to just buy the new boat and sell the old. Life is too short. :) :) :)

Try then buy, and trust reviews. Furniture is so iffy, if I can't sit on it and visit it a few times in a store, I'm very reluctant to buy (unless a super flexible return policy). Reviews help. My last sofa was repeatedly reviewed as very firm and yet super comfy, exactly what I wanted, and exactly what it is irl. My mattress was online only, but came with a super easy return policy, and I read tons of reviews and articles before I bought it. My reclining loveseat, we tried in store, loved it, and then it started making odd sounds in the mechanics 6 months later - they replaced with a new one.

For expensive things, I also want to know the store/brand provides excellent service. I want to know if there are delivery problems, or if there is the tiniest of blemishes, they will take it away and bring a new one, no questions asked, and not just for 30 days.
As more and more products move online, it’s getting much harder to ‘try before you buy’ or assess ‘customer service.’ There are lots of paid reviews online, so that’s not always reliable.

I just bought shoes online for the first time, from a vendor that does not offer free returns. Took me a long time to pull the trigger, but it worked out. It seems the trend continues to move to brick and mortar stores as nothing more than showrooms with almost no inventory - but I prefer that to ordering online sight unseen for any significant purchase.

The saving grace (for online) seems to be, you get what you pay for more often than not. If it’s cheap it’s probably inferior and vice versa.

Last edited:
Any chance they just need to break in some? I recently bought my wife a reclining love seat for her sewing room. Bought it online because it saved us about $200.

It was far too hard, very overstuffed. After a couple of months of use, the cushioning softened up and now it’s comfortable.

Try to sell on Craigslist

FWIW, I sell a lot of stuff and I’ve migrated away from Craigslist to Facebook Marketplace. It’s a much better, modern interface and you can review and get the Facebook profile of the person coming to your house, or you going to theirs.

I research purchases more thoroughly than anyone I know, to minimize mistakes, so I don’t often regret purchases. And I never buy on impulse for anything significant. But I get fooled from time to time like anyone. I learn from the mistake, but I don’t beat myself up about it. If I can sell it and recover some expense, or give it to a friend who might like it, I’ll do that. Sometimes I’ll throw it away so I don’t have it there reminding me I messed up.

When I do get fooled I hold a grudge forever - e.g. I got screwed on a 1997 Volvo so I’ll never buy another Volvo as long as I live (even though they’ve changed owners since then). I guess that’s how I get even with merchants who fool me - fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me:LOL:
Wow. You sound just like me. I research the heck out of most all purchases. Sometimes my wife doesn't like it but she is usually happy with the results.:)

Oh and I had a similar experience with a Dodge Ram truck. Never again.

I research purchases more thoroughly than anyone I know, to minimize mistakes, so I don’t often regret purchases. And I never buy on impulse for anything significant. But I get fooled from time to time like anyone. ...When I do get fooled I hold a grudge forever - e.g. I got screwed on a 1997 Volvo so I’ll never buy another Volvo as long as I live (even though they’ve changed owners since then). I guess that’s how I get even with merchants who fool me - fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me:LOL:

+1 I too research diligently before buying anything major - some have said to the point of dysfunction lol. And I still got burned with EXPENSIVE lemons several times.

I also hold a grudge - especially against Consumer Reports which praised two cars and two appliances to high heaven as top/rated and most dependable, only to have them turn out to be my worst buying decisions. (They raved about the fridge and one of the cars until about a year after I bought them.) Then suddenly they were on the "avoid/not recommended" list. And these weren't new models when CR rated them- they'd been around for a while. Thanks CR! :facepalm:

My standard for "expensive mistakes" is my first marriage. Anything else was/is pocket change compared to that life lesson.

And as Dad said often "You chalk it up to tuition and life goes on".

Yeah I hold a grudge too! And a certain car maker and certain consumer magazine who recommended it are definitely on the list. I had a lot of trouble with that car and I was very young and poor and could not get out of it easily.

I cannot remember buying anything so expensive that I was not willing to just give it away and move on if it was a mistake.

For furniture, I am lucky not to have any physical issues yet where the furniture structure really makes a difference. I do try to test in out in a showroom as much as possible (we still have furniture stores nearby). I would not buy a furniture piece online unless they had a very good return policy. My man cave recliner was purchased online (part of an entertainment system package), but that had a good 60 day "we will come and pick it up if you do not like it" return policy.

we have been fortunate to be the recipient of other peoples mistakes - thing they regretted buying and wanted to give away, that we were fine with. I have a poker table from friends who decided it did not fit in with their recreation room decor... when not used for entertainment it doubles as a platform for some of my home computing center (I built a cover to protect it at those times).

I read recently about a hedge fund manager who believed so strongly in an investment that he tattooed its logo on his shoulder. Last month, it blew up, went to zero in spectacular fashion and his hedge fund investors lost hundreds of millions.

His statement in response was, “I’m keeping this tattoo as a lifelong reminder to remain humble.” That seems pretty human and wise to me.

What works for me is to use it as an opportunity to do a random act of kindness. Find someone who really needs them and is willing to pay you something for it. Then give it to them for free and ask that they do something nice for someone else.

Yeah I hold a grudge too! And a certain car maker and certain consumer magazine who recommended it are definitely on the list. I had a lot of trouble with that car and I was very young and poor and could not get out of it easily.

That sounds like a good story.:popcorn:

Donate them (preferable) or Facebook Marketplace. I don't participate on Facebook for anything other than selling this sort of mistake. Skipro's solution is a darn good one, if applicable.

I feel your pain. When I do that, I donate the stuff.

This is what I would do.
It makes me feel better to give to someone who wouldn’t be able to afford it otherwise.
And then I also don’t feel bad about spending more money on myself.

Attachments

• IMG_0669.JPG
    IMG_0669.JPG
    406.4 KB · Views: 36
^^^^^^^^

Ahhhhhhh! I feel better already. Aloha

So if I stopped doing stupid things and cheering myself with ice cream maybe I'd get thinner instead of fatter.

Good news is my new chairs are in already so should be delivered later this week which will take away the remaining doubt but not the guilt. Once here I will see how to donate. Not too many places will pick up furniture these days.

Last edited:
So if I stopped doing stupid things and cheering myself with ice cream maybe I'd get thinner instead of fatter.

Good news is my new chairs are in already so should be delivered later this week which will take away the remaining doubt but not the guilt. Once here I will see how to donate. Not too many places will pick up furniture these days.

Ice cream fixes everything!

Do you have a habitat for humanity in your area? Ours has a resell store that takes donations specifically for helping people moving into homes.
If you have any organization for homeless services they might have an executive director that you could talk to.
Other than that it is really difficult to donate furniture these days. Goodwill in my area doesn’t accept any.

I hope you like your new chairs.

We sold some stuff at a consignment store that specializes in "nearly new" furniture. They picked it up (for a fee) and mailed a check. Easy peasy

I research purchases more thoroughly than anyone I know, to minimize mistakes, so I don’t often regret purchases.

Yep, same here. I suffer from analysis paralysis so I rarely regret anything I buy. Most of the time I invest way too much research into things that aren't really that important. But that's the way I'm wired.

That said, we have shopped for chairs, mattresses, etc. that feel wonderful in the store. They've had hundreds of butts sitting in them, breaking them in to make them comfortable. When the new chair arrives at home it hasn't been broken in and can often feel very stiff and uncomfortable. Give it some time to wear a little before you toss it out. Once the cushions adjust to your shape you may find you love it again.

If not, stick them out at the road with a free sign and I'm sure a college kid will grab them in a hurry. :)

Let you cat or dog sit on it.

Boudreaux, our Basset, is currently looking at me from our old leather couch. I'm on a new sectional. We've told him that when the other new couch comes this month he's out of luck, no more couches. Check back with me in September and we'll see who won.

Back
Top Bottom