Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some expenses are way up. I have put in a temporary shower which consists of a 360 curtain rod, shower curtain, shower head on a long, flexible pipe, and other plumbing items. I no longer need to use the community showers as I have been doing as I build my house. I ordered a stackable washer and dryer so I no longer will need to use the laundromat. Unfortunately, the order was delayed until mid April. The washer and dryer are just moving a planned purchase up a few months.
Dining out costs down: No more pizza slice for lunch at Costco.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm supposed to be flying to Budapest today from Berlin, however the trip had to be cancelled.

We're spending quite a bit on food, as the wife's practicing her dessert artistry. I drive 65 miles every other day to our lake house doing Spring Cleaning and visit the city dump weekly. Whatever virus' are there is not the Coronavirus, however. Have to take Brynley to get allergy shots 2x weekly at 20 miles each way.

But we're doing our part to avoid others. I'd hate to be locked down without satellite television and the internet.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:29 PM   #63

Our FIDO 2% back Visa bill for March was around $550. I don't recall a month under a thou since we've had it (many years).
Old 03-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #64

I am foregoing alcohol for the time being. It wasn't that much money - 1 beer/day - but, since I like sipping a beer while cooking or deep cleaning, and I'm doing more of that now, I didn't want to start imbibing increasing amounts of calories or alcohol while I'm self-isolating, and it just seemed easier to not drink at all. I may take it up again at some point, but right now, not drinking.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #65

Staying at home instead of eating out regularly...lower food bill.

Hardly driving at all...lower fuel bill.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
My grocery costs are higher since I can't get a lot of the sale items I usually get. Instead I am limited to 1-3 items depending on item and store so no stocking up. Instead I am buying things I don't usually buy and paying full price which I hate. Gas costs are down some but I don't dive much normally so it's not much savings. Everything else should be unchanged so probably slightly more spending due to the food issue.
Same here, mostly. No big changes except for not being able to get any food items on sale because the supermarkets aren't printing any weekly circulars. I drive very little so I can't say gas costs have really risen or fallen.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

We'll see if we have a lower food bill! LOL! I doubt it!

We've really stocked up the fridge and freezer with good stuff. And I'm still thinking of ordering some more gourmet goodies on line.

If I have to be stuck at home for weeks, I'm going to be sure we eat good!

And wine.com - might have to order more....

But still way cheaper than traveling.....
Old 03-30-2020, 12:00 PM   #68

Bars are closed so down maybe 20%
Old 03-30-2020, 12:10 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We'll see if we have a lower food bill! LOL! I doubt it!

We've really stocked up the fridge and freezer with good stuff. And I'm still thinking of ordering some more gourmet goodies on line.

If I have to be stuck at home for weeks, I'm going to be sure we eat good!

And wine.com - might have to order more....

But still way cheaper than traveling.....
Conceptually the same for me, but unfortunately health wise am treating us to snack goodies too including a half batch just of raw cookie dough made from scratch.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #70

My spending is about the same. I rarely travel, and don't often go out to events, dinner parties etc. I do go out to eat once in a while, but it's a $10 burrito, and not a more expensive meal.

A month or so ago, I did purchase tickets for me and my best friend to see Kraftwerk. The show is in June, so I'm curious to see if it will go ahead. If it does, I am not sure how I will feel about being in a large crowd of people. It will be a bit too soon, I think.

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:14 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I am buying a lot more groceries for cooking at home but eating out less and cancelled several trips so overall spending is way DOWN.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Expenses down. 20k+ Bathroom remodel delayed, June trip put on hold.
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:46 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Conceptually the same for me, but unfortunately health wise am treating us to snack goodies too including a half batch just of raw cookie dough made from scratch.
We’ve been sticking to our low carb eating which means no sweets, so no cookie dough for us!
Old 03-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #74

Groceries. Groceries. Groceries. Spending more, way more. High end protein and quality fresh veggies. Zero eating out.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:04 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cancelled $5k in planned travel, have pre-paid trip to Ireland in late May that looks iffy, that'll be another $5k back, but we were doing that with a big group and most all want to reschedule. Definitely spending less eating out, we had an $800/mo budget for that and often blew past it. We are getting take out a lot more from favorite places and tipping heavy, trying to support them.

Gas, way down, utilities probably too as we are quarantining at our smaller, second home. Groceries are probably up a bit as I like to cook, and love to eat. And since we are eating together a lot more, we are eating a little more upscale. Booze is definitely up. With more cooking comes more wine consumption, we like our wine pairings.

No $$ related, but missing twice a week racquetball. Anticipating warmer weather though and still hiking with our two pups daily.....
Old 03-31-2020, 10:08 AM   #76

While I'm not actually spending money on recreation, entertainment, golf and travel. I allocate the same dollar amount each month. I will just have more money to spend later. The only real savings is gas.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #77

Our spending is down 25% and we are frugal to begin with. LOL
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:35 AM   #78
gone traveling

Rubber bands expense about to go up for my budding ponytail.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #79

Well hoping to survive until planned retirement this summer. Travel plans have been modified and will be flexible. Expenses have dropped significantly.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:03 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Carol, I was scheduled to get my haircut and colored and then the shutdown. I had waited 3 months so things are looking pretty bad. The dogs can’t get groomed either. Of course these are all minor issues in the big scheme of things.
I am in this boat as well. I am kicking myself for not getting a cut before all this but oh well. I may ask my SO to just hack some off if this goes on another month. No one but him sees me anyway since we are home.

Expenses are down, like others. We are both working from home so we still have our salaries and benefits intact for now. Groceries are up since both of us are eating lunch at home now but eating out is only down slightly - we are trying to order take out a few nights a week to help our local restaurants.

Gas is way down as our only trip is to/from grocery store once per week.

Entertainment is zero as all shows, movies etc cancelled.

We had a small weekend trip planned in May for a graduation but that is cancelled as well, so travel also down.

While good for the budget - not so good for the spirit
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote