i-orp offline?

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
Have not been able to get online since early yesterday- can anyone confirm they are also getting an "offline" message.

Sure would miss this of not available going forward.

I've worked with the author many times on new features, suggestions and such. I have done linear programming in the past, but nothing this big. I hope he's ok and going to keep the site running. I asked about / volunteered to help with continuity, but he just commented back that he gets the continuity question a lot.

i-orp has been returning a page "The Optimal Retirement Planner is offline" for quite some time. Has anyone been in contact with James lately? In the past he's replied to mail on orplanner, but a note in February went unanswered. I didn't think much about it, but a more recent one also went unanswered. I found a resume (cached), but it's from 2015 https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=us

i-orp was my go-to for comparing various approaches to pull from various accounts in retirement. I hope it's not gone for good.

Here's a bit from Jim, back in 2019:
Ah, succession. That topic has come up often enough to get its own topic in the FAQ. The short answer is that Dynaxys has agreed to keep ORP running as long as possible, which means they will keep the server running and update the personal income tax table once a year. One or two conditions will being ORP to its end:

• Microsoft changes its operating system in such a manner as to stop running ORP's 30 year old code, namely the matrix description and the optimizer.
  • The US Congress changes the tax law.
ORP is propriety in the sense that I actively defend the copyrights, but it is not secret. I will answer any question asked. ORP is documented only in the sense that the code is the documentation. Alas, nothing else. ORP is my play ground where I explore what can be done with the LP paradigm. And I console myself that it may be serving some sort of a social good.
I made an email inquiry to Dynaxys, but that has gone unanswered.

i-orp has been returning a page "The Optimal Retirement Planner is offline" for quite some time. Has anyone been in contact with James lately? In the past he's replied to mail on orplanner, but a note in February went unanswered. I didn't think much about it, but a more recent one also went unanswered. I found a resume (cached), but it's from 2015 https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=us

i-orp was my go-to for comparing various approaches to pull from various accounts in retirement. I hope it's not gone for good.

Here's a bit from Jim, back in 2019:
I made an email inquiry to Dynaxys, but that has gone unanswered.

Thanks, sengsational!

I've been checking the i-orp site, too, and wondering what may have happened. Hopefully, Jim is off having a lovely much-deserved vacation and will soon return to crank-up i-orp.

omni

I'm so glad I got to use this (i-orp) before this extended service interruption. Lots of us talk about optimizing finances for retirement, but few available calculators actually run an optimization program to answer our questions. I suspect very few financial advisors could even set up a basic linear programming problem, as would be seen in an undergraduate course on optimization. If I ever grow up to be a financial advisor, I'll have to write my own code for something like this. Or maybe hire a grad school student to write it for me. It could double as a master's practicum.

There was a guy who built an LP model like i-orp, but I don't think it was web enabled. I had his name at one point. Not sure if I just read public posts he made or if it was direct interaction. I figured if the i-orp source code was lost, he'd have another starting point.

I read that due to age and health, the I-orp author is unlikely to be able to support it anymore.

Sengsational may be thinking of a poster at Bogleheads, who made a spreadsheet that uses a freeware GNU solver for the LP engine. Here's a link to a thread where he discussed it:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365518

I tried an early version of the spreadsheet solver a couple years ago and couldn't get it to solve, maybe it's debugged now, but I haven't checked.

I read that due to age and health, the I-orp author is unlikely to be able to support it anymore.

Sengsational may be thinking of a poster at Bogleheads, who made a spreadsheet that uses a freeware GNU solver for the LP engine. Here's a link to a thread where he discussed it:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365518

I tried an early version of the spreadsheet solver a couple years ago and couldn't get it to solve, maybe it's debugged now, but I haven't checked.

Same here. I played around with it earlier this year and it seemed to work. Like a lot of things, though, there's always something missing for my own particular situation, which likely means that a custom spreadsheet is in my future...

Cheers
Big-Papa

Last edited:
Speaking of sengsational, glad to see him back. I was afraid he had gone the way of the i-ORP guy. Seng was on yesterday and posted elsewhere, not this thread.

Speaking of sengsational, glad to see him back. I was afraid he had gone the way of the i-ORP guy. Seng was on yesterday and posted elsewhere, not this thread.
I'm not sure about James, but I'm still around, just on extended travel until recently.

I think that spreadsheet was what I was thinking about. I tried it with as close to the same inputs as i-orp and got a similar, but not the same solution. But as discussed many times, just doing something like what these models suggest gets you most of the available advantage.

Yes, I think the program could be very useful; I don't know who got it running again, but I'm glad they did.

Now we can go back to complaining about it like we always did, answering posts of people that gave it bad input and got bad answers.

Broke again?

I ran this a couple time after the 11/23 back on-line post (successfully). Now the data entry pages are there, but trying to run it results in a proxy error.

Anyone able to run it?

Broke again?

I ran this a couple time after the 11/23 back on-line post (successfully). Now the data entry pages are there, but trying to run it results in a proxy error.

Anyone able to run it?

I just ran it today and it seemed to be working fine.

Back
Top Bottom