I'm up 7.9% since the U.S. Presidential Election--who woulda thunk

Samclem's link to a post of mine was from 2012, not from 2016. :)

And y'all can always let me have it. I'm an adult and I can take it.
?? The link in my post goes to a made on Nov 7th, 2016.
In part:
Well, my plans were obstructed because the market is up too much at the open for me to be comfortable buying anything. Yep, things are up about 2% right now which is a good chunk of the kind of movement that I was expecting.

So I'll just sit tight except for some bond dividends that were paid today. I will buy more bond fund shares with those since bond funds have gone down slightly.

I hadn't realized that infernal thread had even been around since 2012, but it sure has.:)

Hmmm, I get a 2012 post first, then after a noticeable pause, it does go to what you quoted. Weird. But my apologies for that.

I wrote about jumping in with both feet in this post on Nov 6, 2016:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/timing-the-market-and-elections-84034.html#post1797565

and in this post:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/lol-s-market-timing-newsletter-57042-65.html#post1797827 and the follow-on posts, such as:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/lol-s-market-timing-newsletter-57042-66.html#post1798753

Samclem's link to a post of mine was from 2012, not from 2016, but it really doesn't matter. :)

And y'all can always let me have it. I'm an adult and I can take it.

Good stuff!!

:dance: :dance::LOL::LOL::D;)

Full auto since 2006. Target Retirement. Once in a while I look.

heh heh heh - But I recently married so we got's a boat load of non Vanguard, non index stuff to sort out as well as a house and a farm. My house lost out in the voting and got sold(two years of trying). Tell Mr Market not to wiggle too much in the next year or so. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sticking to the 50/50 AA with a wide 10% band. It got close to having to rebalance when the Dow was on a fast up escalator shooting past 21,000 but since then it has been meandering and last I checked my AA per Vanguard is a sedate 52.9/47.10 so back to my usual slumber for now. I've followed this approach for over 15 years and it's worked just fine for me.

Sticking to the 50/50 AA with a wide 10% band. It got close to having to rebalance when the Dow was on a fast up escalator shooting past 21,000 but since then it has been meandering and last I checked my AA per Vanguard is a sedate 52.9/47.10 so back to my usual slumber for now. I've followed this approach for over 15 years and it's worked just fine for me.

OP here. At 56 yrs old being at 70/30 seems a bit on the risky front and I should have prefaced that I *retired* (corporate restructuring) with a pension plan from my megacorp. The pension covers approximately 80% of my annual expenses so my theory was/is to be a bit more aggressive on the equities side of things. Call me crazy! :)

When the market goes down 10% I'll have to ride that out...

Whenever I think about this issue....I think back to Jan. 1981. Ronald Reagan has just taken office and I was 22 years old fresh out of college. The S&P 500 stood at 133.

And now? Friday's close....April 7, 2017....2355. A nearly 18 fold increase over a 36 year investment period. Has real estate done that. No. (Yes. yes. Someone will point to some unique situation in NYC, or Palm BEach, or Beverly Hills). HAs Gold? No. Ancient Chinese Art? Not sure.

My point is through Black Monday in Oct. 1987 when the market dropped 22% in one day....the burst of the tech bubble at the end of the '90's.....the crash at the end of 2008...... the market still gave stupendous returns over the long term. But you had to stay in the game and grit your teeth when the going got tough. For me anyway staying in the game for the long term means staying in for life. At 57 I feel I still have many more years for the market to reward me.....if I am smart enough to stay the course and tune out the noise.

JAck Boggle once said "The Stock MArket is a huge distraction to American business." I agree with him.

Back
Top Bottom