Increasing Lifespan & FIRE

Your mileage will vary...

Even PreCovid it's been dropping since 2014.
https://www.businessinsider.com/us-life-expectancy-declined-for-third-year-in-a-row-2019-11

This underlying study holds true if you fall into one of the categories enumerated. If you aren't "average" - you avoid excessive drinking, drug use, etc.. it doesn't represent your demographic

"The average life expectancy in the US has declined for a third straight year.
New research linked that decline to the fact that "working-age" Americans, between ages 25 and 64, have been dying at higher rates.

These deaths have been linked to drug overdoses, suicides, and alcohol-related diseases, among other health problems.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-life-expectancy-declined-for-third-year-in-a-row-2019-11

This underlying study holds true if you fall into one of the categories enumerated. If you aren't "average" - you avoid excessive drinking, drug use, etc.. it doesn't represent your demographic

New research linked that decline to the fact that "working-age" Americans, between ages 25 and 64, have been dying at higher rates.

These deaths have been linked to drug overdoses, suicides, and alcohol-related diseases, among other health problems.

For us FI folks average life expectancy in the US is irrelevant when estimating your own life expectancy. It's just a tracker for rising inequality, income disparity, and increasing lifestyle disease risk - all things that punch down towards people who can't be bothered / don't have the privilege to make healthy lifestyle choices and/or don't have enough income to even consider high savings rates.

A lot of comments about quality over total life span, as if you really have a choice. I suppose you do if you take matters into your own hands, or do something like refuse treatment for cancer and let it take it's course. Maybe some of you only care about funding your quality years and don't care what happens to you after that. To me, that would make those final years even more miserable.

My VPW plan carries me beyond 100, just in case, but I'm not adjusting it to last to 120 or beyond. Most likely it would last because I'm under-spending my allocation most years and I'm fairly conservative on my market return assumptions. Deferring SS to age 70 as I plan is another "just in case" step I'm taking in case I live years beyond my expectations.

I absolutely agree with your central points, and course of action.

Tangentially, here is a perspective from an oncologist/bioethicist that steers close to your "refuse cancer treatment" option: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/10/why-i-hope-to-die-at-75/379329/

A lot of comments about quality over total life span, as if you really have a choice. I suppose you do if you take matters into your own hands, or do something like refuse treatment for cancer and let it take it's course. Maybe some of you only care about funding your quality years and don't care what happens to you after that. To me, that would make those final years even more miserable.

Yes, quality of life matters...and you have plenty of control over it here in the U.S. via a health care POA.

Recently, after each round of chemo put them a local hospital's ICU with internal bleeding for a week or so one of my wife's relatives has now elected at home Hospice care.

Patients with kidney failure who aren't transplant candidates often choose to discontinue dialysis given the side effects.

Last edited:

Why would you assume that people who are FIRE have a lower suicide rate or less substance abuse issues?
Suicide is often the result of depression-A disease that doesn't care how rich you are.
and I'm sure most of us know of ex coworkers who retired and drank themselves to an early grave.

Why would you assume that people who are FIRE have a lower suicide rate or less substance abuse issues?
Suicide is often the result of depression-A disease that doesn't care how rich you are.
and I'm sure most of us know of ex coworkers who retired and drank themselves to an early grave.
I would assume this because it takes a functional adult to actually FIRE. Many of us are analytical types who take care of our minds and body; with higher socio-economic levels, comes generally higher education, generally better diets, and people who generally take better care of themselves, exercise, etc. While I'm sure this is not universally true, those of us who are successful enough to FIRE won't generally have $ problems (including money-related stress), live in safer areas, and are less likely to turn to alcohol and drugs or join gangs. I'm guessing that most of those who suffer long-term depression or substance abuse won't be able to perform adequately to make it to the point where they can FIRE. The weight of depression can make it impossible to make it out of bed, much less hold down a job.

Last edited:

I made no such assumption.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom