Is there a law regarding when 1099's are due?

RenoJay

Full time employment: Posting here.
I emailed my Vanguard Flagship rep to ask when I'd see my 1099's for 2019. She casually responded that they'd be available mid to late February.

Isn't there a law that they're due by Jan. 31st?

I think so, but you should have them now. I have mine.

Have you logged in and gone to the Tax Center to see if they are there? I don't get mine by mail anymore.

Last edited:
My FIDO 1099R has been delayed to 15 Feb. They say it's because of my international index fund. Whatever that means.

My FIDO 1099R has been delayed to 15 Feb. They say it's because of my international index fund. Whatever that means.
+1. When I used to have international mutual funds, it would be delayed until mid-late February. Now that I've switched to ETFs, it's been 'delivered' by the end of January. Not sure if this is the reason, just a guess.

No. It is Feb 15 for 1099's.

It certainly depends on the kind of 1099. There are all sorts - 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, 1099-SSA. I think INTs and DIVs are required to be mailed by 1/31. Didn't know that 1099-Bs can wait until 2/15, but that makes sense given qualified dividends.

Like @pb4uski, we already have ours, but we don't have any foreign holdings. Maybe that's the reason.

Because we had some VNQ (REIT ETF) in our account in Q1, Fido is telling us not to expect our 1099 until 2/29

We have our 1099s from Vanguard for our mutual fund account. We do not have our 1099 for our brokerage account yet. My understanding is that brokerage account 1099s have to be "postmarked" by 2/15. We get our documents electronically from Vanguard so should have it this week.

I’ve been waiting for my 1099-R. I was told that for an IRA they have until 2/15. I check the website a couple times a day. One of the 1099’s showed up a couple days before the email notification that it was available.

We got all our 1099's from vanguard a week ago and we converted both accounts to brokerage. Didn't complicate our taxes.

Yep. That's something that VG neglected to mention when they said the change to a brokerage account would be transparent.

I was thinking the same thing, but in their defense, I had my 1099s for my brokerage accounts by Jan 21.... same day as the 1099s for my mutual fund accounts. It might be that the OP has some complication.... in my cases all funds are Vanguard funds in both mutual fund and brokerage accounts.

Last edited:
We got all our 1099's from vanguard a week ago and we converted both accounts to brokerage. Didn't complicate our taxes.
+1
Holdings don't generally care what type of account they're in. Taxes are taxes, they stink every year. IRS changes expectations every year and doesn't provide good information to the providers. Then you have to prioritize and attack different types of funds. Then there's problems and reworking. Of course Murphy always shows up with a bag of wrenches.

I was thinking the same thing, but in their defense, I had my 1099s for my brokerage accounts by Jan 21.... same day as the 1099s for my mutual fund accounts. It might be that the OP has some complication.... in my cases all funds are Vanguard funds in both mutual fund and brokerage accounts.

You’re probably right. At one point I owned a mutual fund in my Vanguard brokerage with was from a completely different fund house, so that could be a cause of the delay. It’s pretty frustrating.

eTrade says to expect them on Feb 18th. I suspect that's because it's the first business day after the 14th this year. 15th is a Saturday and Monday 17th is Presidents' Day.

My husband's Vanguard account was converted to brokerage in 2019. This is the email I received after I downloaded one set of 1099s for his account, one for the brokerage, one for his RMD withdrawal.
Thank you for transitioning from our old investment platform (mutual fund-only) to our new investment platform (brokerage) in 2019.

We wanted to remind you that, as a result of the transition, you may receive 2 separate sets of tax forms for 2019: a set for the old platform (available at the end of January) and another set for the new platform (available by the end of February).

Please wait until you get all of your forms before filing your taxes.

Complication is REITs, International or some other funds with odd assets.

BTW, one reason I moved from E*Trade is that they routinely sent me multiple corrections to my 1099. I had one funky fund (can't remember the name) that had some gold bars in it. They always blamed that, but I'm pretty sure it was more than that.

Many years I got corrected 1099s in April, and one time, late April. I had to amend my taxes that year.

I'd rather they get it right by end of February than pay the amendment game.

My guess is that it takes them some time to figure out how much foreign tax was paid for the holdings in the international funds, since you can get credit for this on your income taxes.

Yeah, my Fidelity forms are delayed until Feb. 15th, or so they tell me. It's because of some foreign stocks.

Ours have always been around Feb.15th from Fidelity. We have always had some mutual funds that weren't direct Fidelity funds so I had assumed that the outside funds had until the end of January to submit info to Fidelity who then had to process it before the consolidated 1099's could be sent out so I was never in a hurry and Feb. 15th seemed like a reasonable timeframe.

My own 1099 (which covers only a few Fido domestic mutual funds) arrived on line on Jan 31, in the mail I got it a few days later. My (snake-bit) friend's 1099, which covers several more funds, some of them non-Fido and some of them international funds, was supposed to arrive Jan 24. But then Fido sent him a message telling him it would be delayed until Feb 15, like what wmc1000 wrote. (I do his taxes, so I am awaiting this form to appear.)

But his 1099 is a consolidated one which includes 1099-DIV and 1099-INT, so even if those were ready by Jan 24, he won't see them until Feb 15, too.

A few years ago, when he was with Raymond James, their 1099 got delayed until early March. They were allowed to file for extensions, he was told. Back then, his Fidelity 1099 arrived on time. But when he transferred his RJ account into Fido in 2018, this has dragged down the timely availability of his Fido form.

A few years ago, when he was with Raymond James, their 1099 got delayed until early March. They were allowed to file for extensions, he was told. Back then, his Fidelity 1099 arrived on time. But when he transferred his RJ account into Fido in 2018, this has dragged down the timely availability of his Fido form.

+1
The fund can get extensions sometimes multiple extensions.

This is eTrade's tax document schedule:

Tax Document Schedule
Calendar: Important Dates
Date Calendar Event

January 31 Form 1099-R (IRAs and Qualified Retirement Plans) and Form 1099-Q (Coverdell ESAs) are mailed and posted online

February 15 Forms 1099 & Details are mailed and posted online

February 28 Form 480.6a and Form 480.6b are mailed and posted online

March 15
REMIC/WHFIT statement issued
Corporation tax returns due
Partnership tax returns due

April 15
Traditional & Roth IRA contribution deadline
IRS filing deadline

May 1 Form 5498-ESA (Coverdell ESAs) is mailed and posted online

May 31 Form 5498 (IRA accounts) is mailed and posted online

June 15
2nd installment of current tax year estimated tax payments due
Extended individual tax return due date for US citizens or residents living and working (or military) abroad

September 15
Corporation tax returns on a 6-month extension due
Partnership tax returns on a 6-month extension due
3rd installment of current tax year estimated tax payments due

October 1
Estate & Trust income tax returns on a 5 ½-month extension due
Simple IRA account opening deadline

October 15
Federal individual tax filing extension deadline
SEP IRA contribution deadline

December 31 Required minimum distribution (RMD) deadline*
*For first time RMDs, the deadline is April 1 of the year after you turn 70 ½

If any date shown above for filing a return, furnishing a form, or depositing taxes falls on Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, use the next business day

or a little more detailed:

When will I get my Tax Form?

IRS Form Available By
1099-R January 31
1099-Q January 31
592-B January 31

Consolidated 1099 February 15
1099-INT February 15
1099-DIV February 15
1099-B February 15

1042-S March 15

2439 March 31