Jan 2008 damage poll

I'm glad I rebalanced when the DOW was lower. If we get back close to 14,000, I will be way ahead of my high last fall. Of course I will need to rebalance again. But who knows, we may test the lows again before that happens. :-\

50% equity
without Chevron -1.99%
with Chevron (down 17% from 12/30/2007) - 2.64%

-2.4% at Jan lows, -1.2% now. 30/30/40 stocks/bonds/cash equivalent. ZZZZZZ

-3.5% in January 67% equities/33% fixed income

Just looking at Vanguard which is about 2/3rd of my portfolio...

Down 9.3% since October....

Down 5.1% in January...

Up 1.7% the first day of February...

Down 8% - 10% bonds 70% large caps 20% International.

For Jan 2008, -3.37%. As of Feb 1, -2.37%.

Not too bad!

57% equities.

Audrey

My main account that has asset allocation in index funds 90% stocks, 10% bonds is down 2-3% after looking for the first time since end of Dec....So, I dont see what all of the "sky is falling" threads were all about...;) Looks like mid and small caps have been doing nicely...which I have been adding to during the downturn...

Down almost 4%, with gold, RE, BEARX, and new purchases near the bottom helping out. Roughly 20% cash, the rest is equities.

Dan

I'm glad I rebalanced when the DOW was lower. If we get back close to 14,000, I will be way ahead of my high last fall. Of course I will need to rebalance again. But who knows, we may test the lows again before that happens. :-\
This has been an incredibly sharp rally in the stocks like financials and retail that were knocked down earlier.

Are we back to the bull after a short steep correction? Or are we experiencing a bear market rally?

My crystal ball has been stolen. All the money being pumped in by the Fed has to be a support. OTOH, going by history what we have experienced so far would be an unusual picture of a durable bottom.

Ha

My crystal ball has been stolen.

I'll let you borrow mine. It's a bear market rally. :)

The good news is that, historically, they seem to last 1-2 months, so we should still have some room to run. I'm guessing until the next batch of earnings reports come out.

I'll let you borrow mine. It's a bear market rally. :)

The good news is that, historically, they seem to last 1-2 months, so we should still have some room to run. I'm guessing until the next batch of earnings reports come out.

This is my leaning also. It's the old game of musical chairs. You expect the music to stop, but don't want to disappoint your greed by leaving too soon.

Why is life not less ambiguous?

Ha

8.3% off our all-time high, down 3.2% YTD. 92% equities and the rest cash. Reinvesting dividends (for now).

This has been an incredibly sharp rally in the stocks like financials and retail that were knocked down earlier.
Are we back to the bull after a short steep correction? Or are we experiencing a bear market rally?
My crystal ball has been stolen. All the money being pumped in by the Fed has to be a support. OTOH, going by history what we have experienced so far would be an unusual picture of a durable bottom.
Ha
Considering all the fundamental improvements that have brightened the subprime & financial markets over the last couple weeks*, I'd have to go with bear-market rally.

I wonder if the Fed's frantic pumping is making people fear that things are even worse than they thought possible.

Regardless, our highs keep getting higher and our lows keep getting higher. The trend is good...

*Yes, that's sarcasm.

-2.59% from 12/31/07 thru 1/31/08
Portfolio currently 56.5% stocks/43.5% bonds (AA is 60/40)

Normally I only look once a quarter but the Vanguard account is down 3.0% for the year as of 2/1.

74 % stocks
21% bonds
5 % cash

To lazy to look up the others.

MB

In spite of withdrawing about $15,000 in living expenses and est tax pmts, my accounts recently bested my all time high water mark reached last fall.

Right now I'm about 80% equity- reached 90% briefly a few weeks ago.

I don't really understand this good fortune, as some of my large holdings have been weak. Others, especially new specs bought during the January meltdown have recently been very strong.

My method is to pray to whichever saint has momentum.

Ha

I noticed that that KRE regional banking ETF that Brewer had been recommending seems to have recently gone up 30% from its bottom. Those who followed his advice probably had a nice momentum play there.

I am down 3% since January 1st and down 4% off my all-time high.

I am currently about 55% equity.

My numbers are probably a little skewed since I currently only track my total investable assets and my percentages are distorted by money that I save from my paychecks.

Portfolio is down about 6.5% from all time high (Oct 2007). Our networth is down about 2.7% from that same high. We are pumping as much new money as possible into our investment accounts but we can't seem to be able anymore to prevent our networth from tanking when the market takes a beating. In the 2001-2002 downturn, it was fairly easy to plug the hole with new money, but I guess our portfolio has become too large for this strategy to work any longer. So in a way, it's not so bad! ;)

Last edited:
Just ran the calculations down 2.2% from end of the year. Considering I moved my allocations from 70/30 equities to 80/20 and I have lots of financial stocks I think this is awfully good. I really was expecting to be down 4-5% for the year. My main account was down 18% from the Oct high at one point in Jan. :(

Go Giants if they win the market will go up!!!

What if they lose?

The market go downs thus reconfirming the validity of this indicator.
Or the market stays the same since we are already down for the year.
Or the market goes up because the indicator is only accurate 80% of the time.

I am not retired I am a market pundit.

Back
Top Bottom