Leave TSP funds in TSP or move to Edward Jones

i recently rolled a portion of my TSP account to Schwab so I can do QCDs. I didn’t have to do this.

Really? Could it be based on the length of the marriage? My spouse and I recently withdrew from our respective TSPs, and we each had to submit a note approving the transaction for the other. TSP is temporarily waving the notarization requirement (but not the physical signature) due to COVID-19.

Or maybe withdraws and transfers have different requirements?

Really? Could it be based on the length of the marriage? My spouse and I recently withdrew from our respective TSPs, and we each had to submit a note approving the transaction for the other. TSP is temporarily waving the notarization requirement (but not the physical signature) due to COVID-19.

Maybe I am misremembering and had to upload a form signed by her. I definitely didn’t have to visit a notary. I did this before the end of 2019.

OP hasn't checked in for the last five days so the question has probably been answered to her satisfaction.

Maybe I am misremembering and had to upload a form signed by her. I definitely didn’t have to visit a notary. I did this before the end of 2019.

Maybe, it depends on whether you've enrolled in TSP as a CSRS covered employee/annuitant. I believe the rules are slightly different for CSRS folks as opposed to FERS people, especially since the CSRS participant in TSP is not receiving a Government match. As I recall, my spouse did not have to sign anything associated with TSP when I retired, and if ever took out a TSP loan (while I was still working) I don't believe my spouse would have had to sign anything. https://www.tsp.gov/loan-basics/applying-for-a-loan/

Maybe, it depends on whether you've enrolled in TSP as a CSRS covered employee/annuitant. I believe the rules are slightly different for CSRS folks as opposed to FERS people, especially since the CSRS participant in TSP is not receiving a Government match. As I recall, my spouse did not have to sign anything associated with TSP when I retired, and if ever took out a TSP loan (while I was still working) I don't believe my spouse would have had to sign anything. https://www.tsp.gov/loan-basics/applying-for-a-loan/
This prompted me to look it up and you are correct. I am CSRS and can do as I please. FERS retirees need to get a spousal write off. I do now recall that TSP sent an after the fact notice to my wife.

I'm FERS and retired last year (2019). Because spouse is eligible for joint life annuity and 50% survivor benefits from TSP, she had give the ok for installment payments (Rule of 55) and Roth conversions via notarized document (TSP-99).

This prompted me to look it up and you are correct. I am CSRS and can do as I please. FERS retirees need to get a spousal write off. I do now recall that TSP sent an after the fact notice to my wife.

That makes sense. My wife is FERS, and I am Uniformed Services, and we each have to get the other’s signature to withdrawal funds.

I’ve left mine in TSP for 6 years since I’ve retired. I’m happy with the results, safety & lower fees.

Avoiding fees is one of the most important factors in investing success and all firms are not created equal. Most firms, with Edward Jones being among the worst, are designed to separate unknowing clients from their money with outrageously high fees. A very few, like Fidelity and Schwab, aim to attract the clients who understand that fees lower clients’ investment returns. One, alone, Vanguard, is a cooperative owned by the clients themselves and, naturally, it has the consistently lowest fees in the industry. It also does not have the expensive offices the others have and everything is done over the phone.

Uniquely, your TSP has even lower fees than Vanguard, so putting everything in the Lifecycle Income Fund is just fine, as my own wife has. TSP will calculate the sustainable payment you’ll get each month and simply send it to you.

Your Edward Jones broker will likely insult your intelligence, stamp and holler and say he can outperform TSP, as he is trained to do, because he has a conflict of interest, he thrives on people’s ignorance and not using him denies him his huge fees. However, virtually everyone on this board of experienced investors will tell you that going with Edward Jones is a huge mistake you will regret.

I feel for you having to make a hugely important decision without enough knowledge. To keep it simple as you learn from this board and other reputable sources, leave your money in the TSP. In fact, ask the TSP folks to transfer your Edward Jones money to TSP. GOOD LUCK and start reading about Vanguard and their index funds.
+1 Great advice!

I have a TSP account and I rolled my external tax deferred accounts INTO the TSP. I recommend you do the same with any tax deferred funds at EJ. The TSP offers excellent index funds with rock bottom fees, including the excellent G Fund that is not available anywhere else. Their mission is to serve you, nobody else. Edward Jones is not your friend.

+1, I did the same. You definitely do not want to move your TSP funds to Edward Jones...........the fees will kill you.

All this seems to have been wasted on the OP, who never returned and missed 60 excellent posts but thanks and I’m glad you enjoyed it![emoji16].
it seems like the OP is another one hit wonder. glad most members are more conscientious and respond to those that have taken time out to participate.

Moving Funds from Edward Jones to TSP

Don,

What was the process for this transfer? I am hoping there is an online way to do the transfer but the TSP info states they want a check mailed to them?

I have a TSP account and I rolled my external tax deferred accounts INTO the TSP. I recommend you do the same with any tax deferred funds at EJ. The TSP offers excellent index funds with rock bottom fees, including the excellent G Fund that is not available anywhere else. Their mission is to serve you, nobody else. Edward Jones is not your friend.

+1, I did the same. You definitely do not want to move your TSP funds to Edward Jones...........the fees will kill you.
I am looking to do the same...any advice on how to do this quickly and smoothly? Did you have to mail a check form ed jones to TSP or was there a method to do the transfer online (which is what I prefer but I have yet to find any TSP documentation that speaks to this).

Thanks

Don,

What was the process for this transfer? I am hoping there is an online way to do the transfer but the TSP info states they want a check mailed to them?

It was many years back but, as I recall, I had to go with a check. Same when I rolled a portion of the TSP over to Schwab (so I could write checks to charities with the RMDs to get top of the line tax deductions). The TSP has some excellent funds but they are a PITA for withdrawals, roll overs, and roll ins.

It was many years back but, as I recall, I had to go with a check. Same when I rolled a portion of the TSP over to Schwab (so I could write checks to charities with the RMDs to get top of the line tax deductions). The TSP has some excellent funds but they are a PITA for withdrawals, roll overs, and roll ins.
Thanks for the reply...Yeah I have heard others say that TSP is a PITA for withdrawals...which concerns me a bit come retirement time when I need to get the money out of TSP to live on.

I started doing monthly payments from TSP and annual conversions to a Fidelity (FIDO) Roth 2 years ago.

Initially I had to login into TSP, specify the amounts for each transaction, print out the paperwork and part of it I had to get DW signature notarized. The conversion portion I had to send to FIDO to agree to accept the money and provide routing info. With both portions in hand, I mailed it to TSP.

The second year, since I had not changed the monthly payment amount, no notarization was required. Still had send the FIDO portion to FIDO as the conversion amount was different due to COLA increases.

Just be aware, if the monthly payments are expected to last less than 10 years based on the withdrawal amount and the fund amount, your monthly payments are automatically taxed at 20%. Conversions do not have tax withholding and you are responsible for taxes at the end of the year.

If monthly payments are expected to last MORE than 10 years, monthly payment taxes are based on # of claimed dependents and the difference needs to be paid with quarterly payments to the IRS to avoid underpayment penalties.

With the crazy stock market, I had one year of each circumstance.

Last edited:
I am looking to do the same...any advice on how to do this quickly and smoothly?
Thanks

I hope your not going to Eddys....
I dont have a TPS, But I got a cashiers check from my bank, and went to a Schwab office and opened an account, then online I have the choice of setting up online transfers, and started Roth accounts for the Wife and I.

Eddie may make it easy to withdraw but you certainly pay dearly for that privilege.

I hope your not going to Eddys....
I dont have a TPS, But I got a cashiers check from my bank, and went to a Schwab office and opened an account, then online I have the choice of setting up online transfers, and started Roth accounts for the Wife and I.

haha I am looking to leave uncle Eddie . :)

Some years ago I deposited some old IRA's from the 1980's into TSP. I submitted a form, which I think was TSP-60. TSP worked with the Credit Union that held the IRA's, so the transfer happened electronically. I don't recall it being a big PITA.

I'm not OP, but two years post-retirement, I've decided to stick with the TSP. But, due to its relative inflexibility, I've found it helpful to have some retirement funds outside the TSP.

Right now, I'm using those non-TSP funds to do Roth conversions. Since we don't have a lot of savings outside retirement accounts, the Traditional IRA also provides a second source of emergency funds.

Thanks for the reply...Yeah I have heard others say that TSP is a PITA for withdrawals...which concerns me a bit come retirement time when I need to get the money out of TSP to live on.

The TSP relaxed their withdrawal policies for > 59.5. I’ll bet the folks you heard complaining were referring to the old policy which was more rigid.

We've done numerous transfers and rollovers from 401a, 457b, 401K, tIRA accounts as well as conversions of funds into Roth IRA accounts. Within the last 12 months, I've rolled over funds from a 401K (using TSP 60 and 60-R forms) into TSP and transferred funds out of TSP (using the TSP online portal and TSP 99 form) to a Roth IRA. I find TSP no worse and sometimes even better than many of the other tax deferred account custodians. As a CSRS annuitant, I'm not saddled with spousal consent requirements when rolling funds out of TSP so this makes things a bit easier.

I intend to keep on rolling over funds into TSP as North Carolina, where I live, has very favorable state income tax treatment for Federal pensions and TSP distributions for those who quailifed under the Bailey settlement. https://www.ncdor.gov/taxes-forms/i...g-federal-state-and-local-retirement-benefits

Back
Top Bottom