Money Mag

TargaDave

Full time employment: Posting here.
Normally I read stuff like The Economist, but I got a free subscription to Money for my last NPR donation. I know it's the magazine everyone here loves to hate but I actually find it entertaining to read even if I never follow the investment advice.

I actually see more articles creeping in about the Vanguard-Bogle-Berstein theme along with SWR, LBYM, bubbles, reducing debt, etc. At least it's changing from the way it was in the go-go days.

ESRbob (and his book) got quoted in the November Issue in the Retirement article (page 108, 3rd column). I suppose if you want to sell books all publicity is good publicity. Go Bob!

My FIL somehow got free subscriptions to Money and Fortune. He died in 1994. Money is still coming free to the house; Fortune stopped in 2003. I continued the subscription to Fortune, and enjoy reading it, or at least skimming thru the issues. But not Money (they can and do print some really ignorant stuff).

HH

TargaDave said:
but I actually find it entertaining to read even if I never follow the investment advice.

I also find these kinds of magazines fund to read. Even get a good idea from them once in a great while.
There is an awful lot of horrible advice, but sometimes you find a gem, or at least something that helps you find a gem.

For example, when Roths first came out, I got the idea from a magazine to do a nondeductable IRA for the year before Roth, and then convert it to Roth the next year.
I think I first learned about closed end funds from a magazine, over 10 years ago. For a while, they were over 100% of my (leveraged) portfolio.

Today, I think Smart Money might be the best of the major investing magazines. Of course, it's still 80% garbage. :D

I try not to pay more than $5 for a subscription to the monthlys. Sometimes they are free.

I really like Kiplinger's. I get an occasional good idea from them and some entertainment. More importantly, I can actually get DW to read it, which helps get her up to speed in the case of my untimely demise. She actually read the recent article on options and at least seemed to get the idea, which is a good thing since I have been buying lots of puts lately.

Not sure if anyone is aware of this, but you can subscribe to many magazines on ebay for pennies on the dollar. Just search for fortune magazine subscription or whatever magazine with the keywords magazine subscription. I just subscribed to Financial Times (the pink daily paper) for a year for $25. I think its around 300$ direct from Financial Times...

I've seen Money for like 3$ a year or so on there... Just thought I'd pass the tip along.

Thanks, hadn't thought of ebay. Got my free/under$5 subscriptions mostly from deals found on fatwallet.com forums.

When my subs run out, I'll look at ebay to renew. Right now, there's a buyitnow for SmartMoney for $3.79.

Thanks to both of you. I had no idea that you could get magazines from ebay or from fatwallet. I will have to check it out.

Dreamer

I checked on The Economist - usually sells for $50 for 1 year on Ebay. Not bad!

Back
Top Bottom