"Mortgage Moms"?

I think that story is just an attempt by the media to have a new slant on the RE bubble.  They've got to find some new way to talk about real estate.

Did you see the NBC nightly news story on rennovating the McMansion so that the couple could live there the rest of their lives?  "Now that the four kids have left we're rennovating so that we can live here longer."  The couple is about 50.  Some of the rennovations: replacing door knobs with levers to make them easier to turn, and raising the outlets "a bit" so that they don't need to bend down so far.

So these people can't manage their own finances, but somehow politicians think they'll manage to get to the polls? People have backed themselves into a bankruptcy corner and expect the government to bail them out like last year's legislation? I hope they're not holding their breath.

It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Bart was wildly popular in the election campaign... but none of his wildly popular demographic ever quite got around to voting.

It must be deadline journalism.

TromboneAl said:
Did you see the NBC nightly news story on rennovating the McMansion so that the couple could live there the rest of their lives?  "Now that the four kids have left we're rennovating so that we can live here longer."  The couple is about 50.  Some of the rennovations: replacing door knobs with levers to make them easier to turn, and raising the outlets "a bit" so that they don't need to bend down so far.
Heck, why wait? Those features make life better now!

I really enjoy door levers. Receptacles should be waist-high or they should be integrated with light switches. I think that I'd also avoid ever buying another multi-story house, that all door openings should be at least 36" wide with pocket doors, that all showers should have a bench or a grab rail, and that all tubs should have low/sunken sides. And all walls should be fitted with pop-out panels so that you can access the back of your entertainment electronics without having to rack out the entire shelf... OK, I'll stop now.

I like our door levers, but they often catch on my belt loops as I'm walking by. Sure, that's fun, but it sometimes rips the pants.

TromboneAl said:
I like our door levers, but they often catch on my belt loops as I'm walking by.  Sure, that's fun, but it sometimes rips the pants.
Sorry, no belt loops or pants here...

What I really want is Star Trek doors coded to my biometrics. (And yes, I know that was just done by stagehands.) Imagine if the snack cabinet would only open if I'd already consumed my day's quota of fruit & veggies, or that you could only get into the media room if the day's chores had been completed...

All you need is an implanted RFID, which, by the way, may also be a good way to keep track of the kids.

Gumby said:
All you need is an implanted RFID, which, by the way, may also be a good way to keep track of the kids.
With a GPS chip. And maybe a low-voltage prod.

Heck, while we're at it, let's add the "Mission Impossible" cerebral detonators. I wouldn't need to actually install one, just to convince our kid that one had been installed...

Back
Top Bottom