Ok, so its not 'fire and money'

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
and I dont care, as many tv related polls are hovering about and i'm on my third chilled unfiltered sake while standing in my kitchen with a large dog induced bad back.

So what are the cool shows you're watching?

Leave the CSI/L&O fare at the door. I watch it too. None of that matters. What makes you go 'cool!" and think differently.

For me:

Iron Chef America; pick two top chefs, a secret ingredient, and watch someone try to make ice cream out of it.

House Detectives; see idiots buy homes without inspections and see how badly $#$#$'ed up they were and how they were fixed.

The Daily Show; see a quasi liberal rip all the spin and hoo-hah off of todays news stories, with usually humerous results.

Robot Chicken...uhh...just watch this one. If you like it, i'll bet your odds of ER are a lot better than the **** for brains in the next cubicle.

Six feet under; great characters, a lot of people and stuff i've actually seen, set with the background of life in a family mortuary.

Battlestar Galactica (the new one of course...). Very good characters, well balanced premise, a lot less shoot-em-ups and sci-fi crap and a lot more "why does humanity exist." May be one of the better shows on tv for the non vapor locked brain watchers...

Blue's Clues is pretty good.    You'll not only tolerate your toddler's viewing habits, but you'll find yourself strangely moved by some of the fare.

Mail time... Here's the mail, it never fails. It makes me want to wag my tail. When it comes I want to wail - Mail!

Amazing race - nice if you like travel - they usually go to some off the beaten path locations and do crazy stuff.

Arrested development

The Office - a must watch for those still working in the cube farms out there.

West Wing. Sadly, cancelled. Having worked in the bureaucracy for 27 years, this show captured its essence better than anything including the weak, weak, weak Commander in Chief.

American Idol. Totally mindless fluff. I just love it when Simon says, "I don't mean this to be nasty, but you suck." What would he be like if he meant to be nasty? What are some of those people thinking?

setab

I completely poo-poo'ed American Idol in the past - totally could not get into it.

One show this season and I've been sucked into the vortex. It is mind-boggling that some of these people seem to think they can sing!!! Simon is a crack up.

"I'm bored and you suck, what could be worse?"

I also sort of like SURFACE - the strange show about a genetic mutant creature

One more, "I shouldn't be alive" on discovery channel.

Basically people who occasionally did enormously dumb things, although not always, and somehow managed to not be killed 3-5 times during the exercise. Reenacted with interviews from the actual survivors

I did find it was disturbing enough to stop watching it before I tried to go to sleep.

I think I ended every episode saying "You are a verrry luck #$^%".

Re: OK, so its not 'fire and money'

I like flip this house. When they buy them cheap and redo them in 10 days and make big money, I get that warm tingle feeling all over my body.

I like Nanny 911, Mission Reoganization and Clean Sweep. Appeals to my voyeur tendencies. I enjoy watching disorganized lives.

I like Sell this House, Designed to Sell and House Hunters because I like looking at peoples houses. I swear to you I had the idea years ago to start a business where I would go in and get peoples houses ready for sale by removing clutter, doing general cleaning, and a coat of paint or two. But I never did it. Oh well.

I like Devine Design and reDesign for decorator shows.

These all irritate Greg to no end.

setab said:
West Wing.  Sadly, cancelled.  Having worked in the bureaucracy for 27 years, this show captured its essence better than anything including the weak, weak, weak Commander in Chief.

setab

I have to agree with that totally, I love West Wing but when they moved it I knew it was the kiss of death. I wish I could like Commander in Chief but I really dislike Gina Davis.

I'm a great LOST fan, and the Housewives, CIS but only Thurs night, the other two are junk. Law and Order SVU, Without a Trace, Cold Case and the new one Injustice are favs tool

Martha I drive my dh crazy with those shows too especially Super Nanny and Nanny 911.

Star Trek's not on the air anymore, so who watches TV?

Well, OK. Fox's "The War at Home", their successor to "Married With Children".

Martha said:
I like Nanny 911, Mission Reoganization and Clean Sweep. Appeals to my voyeur tendencies. I enjoy watching disorganized lives.

I like Sell this House, Designed to Sell and House Hunters because I like looking at peoples houses. I swear to you I had the idea years ago to start a business where I would go in and get peoples houses ready for sale by removing clutter, doing general cleaning, and a coat of paint or two. But I never did it. Oh well.

I like Devine Design and reDesign for decorator shows.

These all irritate Greg to no end.
Our kid is learning a lot from watching Nanny 911 & Supernanny.

HGTV's shows demonstrate that people who can bring order out of chaos will never lack for income.

C'mon, Greg, turn off the volume, ignore the lighting tips, and just watch Candice Olson!

Outtahere said:
I wish I could like Commander in Chief but I really dislike Gina Davis.
I perked up when spouse watched an episode about a submarine, but the technical errors made me give up.

Like Jane Fonda & Barbarella, whenever I watch Geena being presidential I'm reminded that she also made the cinematic classic shown below. For this reason I also sincerely hope that Hillary Clinton never runs for president...

Attachments

• Earth Girls Are Easy.jpg
    Earth Girls Are Easy.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 189
  • Earth Girls Are Easy.jpg_thumb
    45.7 KB · Views: 1
Outtahere said:
I'm a great LOST fan, and the Housewives...

those two are on my list too.

And Survivor. Anyone else addicted to this? The new season is about to start, and it looks like they are switching up the old 2 team format this time. These change-ups keep it fresh.

Martha, I am in your camp.

We also get an Australian programme, The Block, 4 couples all renovating a duplex, plus real Renos, follows a Home renovator around, details his dealings with clients, their responses, plus get to see the results.

My Wife watches Coronation Street religiously, British Soap, has been running for over 40 years.

I grew up in a 1000 sq ft house, 8 kids, 1 TV, antenna, and today's kids are hard done by if their set in the bedroom is less than 42 inches and flat screen.?

I am addicted to HGTV, and the shows like Designed to Sell, Sell This House, etc. are among my very favorites. I don't like Divine Design, however, something about her gets on my nerves.

I love the West Wing and am really sorry to see it go. I'm completely hooked on Lost, and I'm still a big ER fan.

Amazingly enough, my hubby got me interested in Gilmore Girls about two seasons ago, and it has become one that we try to never miss.

As sad as this sounds, my only goof off time now is spent on this board! I haven't played a computer game in months, and I don't get home on time enough to get into a t.v. show. I catch survivor/CSI when I can, and some football. Right now I'm splitting time between family issues, work, and getting every certification I can (right now getting CISSP). I'm starting to question the cable bill..... :eek:

We also watch a lot of the Travel Channel and Discovery. I only love one British show Are You Being Served, it's great comedy if you've ever worked in retail.

On HGTV: House Hunters
I'm continually amazed at a 2 bedroom, 1 bath house in Southern California can be worth $490,000 but would sell for about $90,000 here in the Pittsburgh area.
That's a real example !
On Travel Channel: Vacation Home Search ( love Ashna)
On Food TV: Everyday Italian (love Giada DiLaurentiis)
On CNBC: Larry Kudlow's program
Hate all the "reality shows" , won't watch them - they're stupid
On regular TV: NCIS, CSI, InJustice, and Mandy Pitinckin's program (his name cracks me up! ).
On BBC America: all the mystery shows.
On HBO: Deadwood, great show when you get past all the profanity,
and Sopranos.
You know what's absolutely ridiculous: the local TV news; for example: when something happens at the court house at 10:00am, they send a local reporter to the front steps of the court house to tell us what happened 8 hours ago on the 6 o'clock news....like as if he being there on site makes the news better.

I don't watch too much TV, but here goes:

West Wing - first 5 seasons were pretty good (some episodes were spectacular). Now, I'm bored and shut it off most of the time.

CSI -- good, but they're running out of plots and cool new technology.

For the most part, I just watch DVDs when I have the time.

OMG, I would never say this around but the best of friends, wife watches a lot of TV, the only one I watch, except for news, sports & movies, is...Beauty & The Geek. Its a hoot. Common, there must be a few board reading geeks who watch it.

yakers said:
OMG, I would never say this around but the best of friends, wife watches a lot of TV, the only one I watch, except for news, sports & movies, is...Beauty & The Geek. Its a hoot. Common, there must be a few board reading geeks who watch it.

I meant to start watching it, but never got around to it. The basic concept seems like it would make for good entertainment.

I guess that "popular" culture left me somewhere far, far behind (although I see myself as far, far ahead) nothing has continued to captivate my attention over the years like The Andy Griffith Show. Great family entertainment with a good moral lesson in each show. Thank you TV Land!!!

Other than the other great '60's classics that I grew up with I do enjoy some of the following despite reflections of current moral decay:

Discovery Channel:
  • Mike Rowe's "Dirty Jobs". This is hilarious and I always seem to learn something about the people who make civilized life possible for the rest of us.
  • "Myth Buster's": Always seem to learn something new here too. Who'd have thought that I'd get better gas mileage by leaving the tailgate "up" on my pick-up truck but they proved it so.

Fox News Channel Yeah, I know that there's no middle ground when it comes to news sources for most of us but this is my favorite. I've always been a current events junkie and I believe that Fox has revolutionized this business in taking the "boring" out of delivery... and the ratings agree with me because they consistently beat the holy crap out of all the "other" cable news channels combined. There's always plenty of liberal vs conservative news analysis and debate... really gets one to thinking without putting me to sleep like PBS is so capable of doing.

Re: OK, so its not 'fire and money'

spike said:
I like flip this house. When they buy them cheap and redo them in 10 days and make big money, I get that warm tingle feeling all over my body.

I've seen that twice and it was the same show both times. I wasn't clear if it was a series. I'd like to see more - that's my kind of entertainment. :D

and I believe that Fox has revolutionized this business in taking the "boring" out of delivery... and the ratings agree with me because they consistently beat the holy crap out of all the "other" cable news channels combined. There's always plenty of liberal vs conservative news analysis and debate... really gets one to thinking without putting me to sleep like PBS is so capable of doing.

Absolutely! - And you would also have to assume that the 'Best' Food in the entire World is served by McDonalds - Judging by the sheer number of their restaurants!

FreeBird said:
Fox News Channel ... and the ratings agree with me because they consistently beat the holy crap out of all the "other" cable news channels combined.

Bible belt conservatives have nothing better to do with their free time than watch TV?

Back
Top Bottom