Online banking from the road

Do you use hotel or other wifi options while traveling?

• Yes, I use free wifi where ever I am to logon to banking and brokerage sites

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • I only use hotel wifi to log on to bank and brokerage accounts domestically

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Nope, never logon if outside my home

Votes: 48 55.8%

• Total voters

Luck_Club

Full time employment: Posting here.
OK how many will log on to their brokerage or bank from hotels domestically or internationally. Does the level of hotel impact your decision, country where you are staying?

We do this in many countries and have done so frequently over the past eight years since retiring. Not much choice when we travel for extended periods. Most frequently in Thailand.

Last edited:
I log in daily. Sometimes multiple times. I stay at low-budget (Super 8, Days Inn) motels mostly, and RV parks.

I assume that my passwords are safe...

There is nothing on my phone related to financial information or accounts and there never will be.

i login to my various financial sites while traveling in our motor home but always with my own verizon hotspot.

I will, but I use my laptop only via vpn, and store my password manager which is encrypted in an encrypted file (in case laptop is stolen).

I don't use my phone or app on my phone, as I carry that thing around all the time, and my passwords are too complex to remember.

I use my phone for email, via vpn.

Can't vote as I only use cellular date to do mobil baking when away from home. Would never use a hotel wifi for banking.

Rarely. I’ll only log in publicly if it feels very necessary and will often use the thumb print log in.

Only log in from my house. Just don't fully trust the hotel security.

I mostly use my bank's apps with passwords entered via Touch ID. Touch ID is also required to get into my iCloud Keychain passwords. I *think* I have 2FA set up for most of my serious financial sites. I should probably check on that...

I only have logged on to bank sites from home or our snowbird condo. We have only been gone from either of these places for a few weeks at a time and I can wait until I get home to do any banking.

I put Nope as there was not the key option in the poll! I ALWAYS log on from the road, BUT only from the secured Hotspot on my Phone. Never from any public wifi.

Without getting into technical details, if you are using a browser, the connection between your device and the server is encrypted from end-to-end. The perceived security of the hotel wifi should not factor into this decision.

I can't speak to phone apps, although I would think they are similarly encrypted.

Without getting into technical details, if you are using a browser, the connection between your device and the server is encrypted from end-to-end. The perceived security of the hotel wifi should not factor into this decision.

I can't speak to phone apps, although I would think they are similarly encrypted.

Great answer.

So even if the hotspot is hacked, being monitored etc from a bad actor, they can't get your password data and then drain your accounts like the commercials imply.

Can't vote as I only use cellular date to do mobil baking when away from home. Would never use a hotel wifi for banking.

I didn't vote fo the same reason, although I might use free wifi for sensitive activities with a VPN. It depends; for a quick balance check, I'll probably turn off wifi on my phone and run the app. For bill pay, email, or something similar with a few steps, I'll probably connect to a VPN on my laptop or tablet. And I have two-factor authentication enabled everywhere it's available.

In theory HTTPS sites should be safe even over open wifi, but there's really very little to no inconvenience to me to take these precautions.

Last edited:
I'm paranoid about this and never contact my financial institutions while on the road, But I have things set up so I don't need to. I would not be uncomfortable accessing banking over the cellular connection on my phone or via the phone's hotspot. If I ever run into a situation where it becomes critical to use public wifi I would risk it because I am confidant that my financial institutions use end to end https.

Yes with my laptop and HTTPS... When traveling I seems to always look to be sure the connection is VIA HTTPS before entering my ID/PW. At home I don't usually check, but probably should. Just a habit.

Last edited:
My concern is with my phone or tablet getting stolen. That is uncharted territory even with fancy authentication.

My concern is with my phone or tablet getting stolen. That is uncharted territory even with fancy authentication.

Find phone/tablet - remote wipe - done.

This is available even for non-Apple devices.

However - if you have touch or Face ID set up, you are still protected.

Find phone/tablet - remote wipe - done.

This is available even for non-Apple devices.

However - if you have touch or Face ID set up, you are still protected.
Yup. That's what the advertising says and I'm sure the boffins believe it. In roughly 50 years in the technology business I have never seen any software that did not work exactly like what the advertising claimed. Do you believe that?

YMMV of course.

Didn't vote.

I NEVER EVER use public WIFI for anything. Not since my email was hacked 7 years ago while using the public WIFI at a cancer treatment center while under going chemo. Embarrassing emails were sent to all my personal and business contacts. No financial impact but it sure made an impression on me.

I try to only use our secured WIFI at home. If access away from home is needed, I use my phone directly or as a hotspot.

Yup. That's what the advertising says and I'm sure the boffins believe it. In roughly 50 years in the technology business I have never seen any software that did not work exactly like what the advertising claimed. Do you believe that?

YMMV of course.

Why base such a decision on advertising? That seems silly. How about basing it on the tech specs and security analysis?

1 - VPN's will tunnel you securely through any malicious or insecure WiFi
2 - Just use your cell phone connection. Also secure. Also can use a VPN if you are paranoid.

Back
Top Bottom