Poll:How much do you spend on Wine, Beer & Liquor on Average?

What is your monthly average Wine, Beer & Liquor Budget?

• $0 - We do not drink & we do not offer alcohol to friends.

Votes: 45 16.0%
  • Less than $50

Votes: 61 21.6%
  • $50 - $100

Votes: 70 24.8%
  • $100 - 200

Votes: 51 18.1%
  • $200 - $300

Votes: 25 8.9%
  • Over $300

Votes: 30 10.6%

• Total voters

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For those who drink, I was curious how much one spends on this vice. For those who make wine or :confused: please use how much you spend on ingredients, materials and equipment.

The poll is based on monthly average for the year. We averaged $114pm in 2018.

Last edited:
I average about 1 beer a day, but many more in the Summer/camping. Most of the year, a case of Budweiser will last me a month at less that $20.

We're in the 50-100 club. DW has a splash of my occasional beer. I used to spend (and consume) a LOT more for wine, liqueur, etc, but my blood work caught up with it (low blood counts). Now, it is one bottle of nice wine each month and a few six packs of craft beer.

I also feel better. Who knew!? :LOL:

We do not drink, but we buy regular wine for cooking ($18 CAD for a 1.5L bottle, which lasts over a month), but we bring beer, etc visiting friends, and I do buy alcohol if drinkers are coming for dinner, but that happens only once in a while, so I voted "We don't drink and we have no alcohol budget"

Last edited:
Don't specifically keep track of this expense, as it is included in our dining/food expenses.
As a guess, it is in the 50-100 range with some afternoon drinking with other retirees.

We are pretty conservative in that department... so far this year we have only spent $998.17.

It's just lumped in with all other food that we buy, so I have no idea.

Couldn't even tell you what we spend on food, since that's included in the same category with dining out and entertainment.

I'm always impressed at the folks who track their expenses down to a gnat's eyelash, but I'm definitely not one of them.

My guess for the two of us would be right around 200. I selected the 200-300 option. We don’t break out alcohol, but I think this is a decent estimate. On the upper end of that range if you included restaurants.

Budget is $500 per month now that I’m retired. Last couple of years due to vacations in wine country locations, exceeded my budget many times over. Cellar is now full so a great way to start retirement!

Never keep up with it but it's a not an insignificant part of our budget!

Neither of us drink, cook with alcohol, or offer it to friends.

So, our grand total for alcoholic beverages is $0.00.

DW drinks wine to be able to put up with me. :D

I'm a teetotaler as I gave up drinking wine (and beer) over 10 years ago.

DW consumes a few bottles of Chardonnay per month at home, and an occasional glass of wine when out for dinner. So I guess our consumption is less than $50/month.

We don't budget for it, but it's around $25-$40 per week (depending on the week).

Restaurants alcohol and bars total 1500 monthly for two. Shameful but we are enjoying ourselves;)

50+% spend less than 2 cheap bottles of wine per week.

DW and I are currently reviewing our past two years expenses establishing a future retirement budget and I have this down to the penny. We have averaged $151.17 per month not including alcohol dining out. This would be beer, wine, and bourbon.

I don't have any idea how to answer this. We live in a high liquor tax state so dh often picks up bottles of bourbon etc when working in neighboring states. I sometimes buy beer, but sometimes he does. (I love to keep track of expenses, but dh does not.) I have cut way back on wine. I still like wine but it no longer likes me. And I usually buy it at the grocery store and don't separate it out from the grocery category. Too much work. So the answer is- less than I used to?

cannot have alcohol while on the current medications ( and am single )

so if the global economy implodes before March 2020 i did my part to help it happen ( half to governments seem addicted to taxes on vices )

Cabernet goes with everything

Ours gets stirred into the food expense, but I guess it's about 200/month. It sounds like a lot, but we routinely give hooch as gifts.

We went Jan and Feb at about $20 per month, then maybe $70 for March when we had guests. Now back down again. DW drinks no alcohol at home. I average 5 beers a week. Most of our alcohol consumption is during a dinner out.

Back
Top Bottom