Poll: Paying for financial advice

When it comes to financial advice, I ...

• Do-it-myself only (with free advice from message boards)

Votes: 80 80.0%
  • Do-it-myself mostly, but paid less than $500 in last 3 years for advice

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Pay less than $500 a year for check-ups

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Pay more than $500 a year for check-ups

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Pay alot for financial advice

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

LOL!

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I think we sort of know what the poll will show, but I am curious if many of the do-it-yourselfers take advantage of a reality check from independent sources.  I'm gonna get one of those free financial plans from Vanguard shortly.

only thing I pay for is investor's business daily and the wall street journal. Otherwise there is too much free information on the internet

LOL! said:
I'm gonna get one of those free financial plans from Vanguard shortly.
From my days on the M* Diehards board I heard that's a great reality check ("Am I missing something?!?") but otherwise worth what you pay for it...

Hmmmm

As I qualify for a freebie from Vanguard - maybe next year to celebrate my 14th year of ER - or not.

Not going to replace all my books lost to Katrina - maybe the latest Zweig edited edition of Ben Graham - probably not Four Pillars.

Sure would hate for some VG financial planner to tell me I've been doing it all wrong all these years.

That would just tick the Norwegian widow off.

heh heh heh heh heh heh - he who violated his own best theory and got a mortgage and just took early SS this year.

LOL! said:
  I'm gonna get one of those free financial plans from Vanguard shortly.

Received my free financial plan and 45 min phone follow-up from VG a couple of weeks ago.  Plan suggested Tot Stk Mkt Index, Total Bond Index, Int'l Value Fund, Morgan Growth.  Owned 2 of the 4 plus own 6 other VG funds and 1 non-VG.  All in IRA.  All suggested to be sold and moved into suggested funds.  Thought they would suggest more diversification than they did, but VG CFP said they wanted to "own the market".  I suggested they add correlation tool for VG funds on their good Flagship website so behavior relative to the market could be better anticipated.  Am kinda happy with the behavior and performance of my homegrown allocation of funds for a couple of years and also recently.   Of course different individual goals may result in different VG plan suggestions, but since this is an ER Forum, I would be curious as to the similarities in plan suggestions by VG.

Nords said:
From my days on the M* Diehards board I heard that's a great reality check ("Am I missing something?!?") but otherwise worth what you pay for it...

Yeah, i suppose if the guy calls up and says "Whaddayanuts?!?" you might want to reconsider your investing strategy. Otherwise the guys just going to tell you that you might consider doing something else you probably already considered and decided not to do... :)

I got a letter from vanguard last week imploring me to try their free financial analysis. Maybe next week when I have some free time and I feel like watching someone dangle over a cliff...

Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny said:
... and I feel like watching someone dangle over a cliff...
One of Schwarzenegger's best lines: "I let heem goe..."

starboardtack said:
Received my free financial plan and 45 min phone follow-up from VG a couple of weeks ago.  Plan suggested Tot Stk Mkt Index, Total Bond Index, Int'l Value Fund, Morgan Growth.
Of course different individual goals may result in different VG plan suggestions, but since this is an ER Forum, I would be curious as to the similarities in plan suggestions by VG.

There are threads on the VG plans here:
http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?topic=7571.0
http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?topic=5712.0

Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny said:
Maybe next week when I have some free time and I feel like watching someone dangle over a cliff...

Maybe one day you can retire.

Back
Top Bottom