Poll: Which Brokerage(s) do you use? Switching? See 1st Post for Poll Details.

Which Financial Institution/Brokerage do you use for the Majority of your Stash?

• Fidelity

Votes: 124 33.9%
  • Schwab

Votes: 66 18.0%
  • Vanguard

Votes: 99 27.0%
  • Traditional Bank

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Credit Union

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Combinations of the above

Votes: 44 12.0%
  • Other

Votes: 30 8.2%

• Total voters

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
With the turmoil in the banking system, Perceived Schwab Woes, and other financial uncertainties, I was wondering where we (ER Members) kept the "Majority" of our stashes.

This Poll is intended for those who keep The Majority their stashes in one or more Brokerages, the main ones being Fidelity, Schwab and Vanguard. As opposed to significantly small amounts in Checking Accounts Etc.

If you use another institution or Brokerage, please feel free to select "Other" and if you like, highlight in the posts.

If you use a combination of institutions, and if you like, highlight in the posts.

This poll is simply for curiosity purposes with no underlying reasoning as I am thinking of adding Fidelity to our Schwab accounts for our IRAs. We do keep our day-to-day funds in a local Credit Union Checking Account, but I have not included this in my selection.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of consolidating accounts. By the end of the year, I expect to be down to Fidelity and Schwab for retirement/brokerage and Chase for daily banking. I've tried to like my local Credit Union, but they really offer nothing that I don't get at Chase so that small account is gonna be closed.

Maybe change the word "majority", which to me implies >50%, to "most".

We don't keep over 50% of our assets in any one brokerage.

Vanguard has a bit more than Schwab, followed by Fidelity, then eTrade (not Morgan Stanley) and others.

Maybe change the word "majority", which to me implies >50%, to "most".

We don't keep over 50% of our assets in any one brokerage.

Vanguard has a bit more than Schwab, followed by Fidelity, then eTrade (not Morgan Stanley) and others.

If you are 40/30/30 then the Combination answer probably fits better.

Fidelity, E*Trade, Vanguard, Schwab. E*Trade has the best trading app among them.

A transfer agent, Vanguard, TD Ameritrade, a credit union, and a minor position at Fidelity. We still have bank accounts but they are for operating expenses.

With the turmoil in the banking system, Perceived Schwab Woes, and other financial uncertainties, I was wondering where we (ER Members) kept the "Majority" of our stashes.
Personally, I don't really feel Schwab has any more "woes" than any other huge brokerage firm. If I did, I'd probably move my funds. In any case, I'm mostly in FDIC investments except for a small amount in SWVXX that I keep for ready cash or that I can move in a day, so I'm not worried.

I've been with them over 40 years now so I guess I'll probably stay for the duration. :)

Last edited:
Vanguard had basically been my only brokerage for 35 years. I had a really bad experience with my parents finances at ETrade/Morgan St. I have now moved both my parents accounts and mine to Schwab and have been very happy. Great service by Schwab and to have a local office has been awesome. ETrade was a nightmare.

Schwab is my largest, but Fidelity is my most versatile as I use it for some brokerage holdings as well as to store my cash and send my rent bill pay check.

I just moved some $$ from Fidelity to Schwab for a transfer bonus.

Also, About 1/5 or so is in the federal government's TSP, but my largest annual contributions go into here, so overtime that will presumably increase.

Last edited:
I wonder where an online bank would fall. Not a consideration for us (yet).

We're in three of the main five categories listed, so combination for us.

All Vanguard but I’m seriously considering moving our IRAs if not everything to Fidelity. Vanguard service isn’t anywhere near what it once was, and they seem oblivious. I prefer doing everything online anyway so I only want personal service less than once a year, or I’d probably have moved already.

Last edited:
We use Schwab for our joint taxable, my tIRA and our his and her Roths... 88% of the total.

Fido for our his and her HSAs... 2% of total. Treasury Direct I-Bonds are 8% of total. Discover Bank online savings account is remaining 2%.

Were heavy Vanguard until a couple years ago. Changed because Vanguard was too much of a hassle.

Last edited:
I’m trying to figure out what “combination” consists of. How can you have a majority in multiple places? The one that has the most is the majority. Do those people have the exact same amount in two or more places?

All equities/TIRA at Fidelity. 401k at Empower/Mass Mutual, cash at Ally and BOA.

My "stash"?

I keep that in the traditional place.

Attachments

• moneymattress.jpg
    moneymattress.jpg
    594.2 KB · Views: 50
I’m trying to figure out what “combination” consists of. How can you have a majority in multiple places? The one that has the most is the majority. Do those people have the exact same amount in two or more places?

Majority is over 50%. Plurality is more than any other.

But what the heck, it's just a poll, answer however you like. But this is that rare pull I'm finding myself defending rather than pointing out problems.

My bad, I was thinking like a politician where they all feel they have a majority ;) :eek: :facepalm: :LOL::LOL:

Fidelity since 2008. I like their bond research capabilities and fixed income management tools. I have a dedicated phone number for my account level. If I need to call, which is rare, I get an agent who if they can’t help, transfers me to an expert. Use their 2% Visa, free checks, Billpay, etc. The retirement tool is useful as well. No reason to switch.

Last edited:
E*Trade for both our rollover 401K's, both our Roth IRA's and we use their savings account and their bank.

Fidelity, Schwab, Merrill Edge

The first two are the biggest, but we have a good sized chunk at ML for ease of monthly bank transfers to fund our living expenses, and to us plenty of wiggle room for our BoA status.

Back
Top Bottom