Redeeming This Coin

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DW is putting all our loose change in rolls ($72 total), and she came across this coin:

Coin 001.jpg

According to the Internets, an ounce of silver is worth about $13, though I'm guessing the coin is worth less.

Can we just take this to the bank? If not, how do we redeem it?

What's the other side of it look like? Most likely, if it's recognizable to coin dealers who trade in gold and silver bullion and the weight is correct for a silver round, you could sell it there. Most likely you'd be offered around $10-11 at current silver prices by a dealer, I'd bet.

Other side has an eagle and a liberty bell. I'll take it in to a coin shop, thanks.

It looks like a silver slug. Basically worth what the silver is worth. If it is some sort of official mint currency (US or abroad) it would have some additional value.

Nymex is quoting $10.70 for an ounce. These prices can change a lot though. I'd take $9-10 from a coin dealer if offered for a slug.

Or you could just sell it to a forum member? I collect coins. It is just a troy ounce of silver. People buy them for relatives, newborns, or just to keep some silver in the safe. You can also sell it on ebay and get more than a dealer. However, with the time, fees, and such, it isn't really worth it for one coin. A dealer will give you $10+ for it.
Ty

You should save it for when the world financial systems completely collapse and you need to trade precious metals for food and services.

Back
Top Bottom