Retirement is Unplanned for Many

Hagar was more than a fill in...he had a very successful career as a guitarist, songwriter, and a great vocalist before Van Halen. Then Van Halen asked him to join and during the time he was there the band was the most successful they had ever been in their entire career.

Diamond Dave was a weak vocalist who did nothing on his own other than one minor hit (a cover).

I loved Sammy Hagar before he turned Van Halen into van Hagar, popularity/ higher charting doesn't necessarily mean better ....

I left a job around age 50 and had a couple of part-time gigs to keep me going. I decided I wanted full-time work. I searched for six months, got two interviews, and one offer. I hated the job, but was able to work it into something that worked well for me after a couple of years. That was in Massachusetts, 15 years ago. It was bad, that job-hunting. My heart goes out to anyone forced out and unable to find something else. Sickening.

Two years ago I moved to Vermont, seeking part-time. I am semi-retired, a psychologist. There is a serious dearth of people to fill any jobs here, and professional positions go unfilled for months, even years. I had my pick of jobs (albeit lower-paid jobs designed for masters-level therapists). I’m retiring in a couple of weeks, but if I want to pick up p/t again, there is plenty around.

Need w*rk? Come to Vermont! The state is offering incentives!

The June AARP Bulletin has an article, "Too Old to Apply". In January, the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Age Discrimination Employment Act (ADEA) does NOT apply to job applicants. The AARP Foundation is appealing it to the U.S. Supreme Court. As it stands, "employers can say 'no one over 40 need apply' with no consequences under federal law."

Be warned.

The June AARP Bulletin has an article, "Too Old to Apply". In January, the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Age Discrimination Employment Act (ADEA) does NOT apply to job applicants. The AARP Foundation is appealing it to the U.S. Supreme Court. As it stands, "employers can say 'no one over 40 need apply' with no consequences under federal law."

Be warned.

Well, IMO they don't even have to do that.

From personal experience and a good number of posts here it's pretty clear that it's pretty easy to find ways to keep the oldsters (age 40+) from getting hired.

[QUOTE The AARP Foundation is appealing it to the U.S. Supreme Court. As it stands, "employers can say 'no one over 40 need apply' with no consequences under federal law."

At least if were stated that clearly I wouldn't waste my time with that employer.

[QUOTE The AARP Foundation is appealing it to the U.S. Supreme Court. As it stands, "employers can say 'no one over 40 need apply' with no consequences under federal law."

At least if were stated that clearly I wouldn't waste my time with that employer.

Good point. This might be one of those instances where it's bad to do good.

At the time I wish I had known who wouldn't even consider me. I would've saved a lot of hassle.

Last edited:
I loved Sammy Hagar before he turned Van Halen into van Hagar, popularity/ higher charting doesn't necessarily mean better ....

I remember tearing around in my 1978 Datsun 280Z with Sammy's "Three Lock Box" blasting from the cassette deck in the early 80s.

I remember tearing around in my 1978 Datsun 280Z with Sammy's "Three Lock Box" blasting from the cassette deck in the early 80s.

I don't think anyone disputes Sammy's talent.

It's just that Van Halen just wasn't "Van Halen" without DLR, hence the 'no one is irreplaceable' context within this thread.

I don't think anyone disputes Sammy's talent.

It's just that Van Halen just wasn't "Van Halen" without DLR, hence the 'no one is irreplaceable' context within this thread.

I look at it as they were two different bands. Some people liked the first band and some liked the second band. I liked both but thought that Hagar was an improvement.

Another band that provoked similar sentiments was The Doobie Brothers. Some people hated what Michael McDonald brought and some loved him.

I look at it as they were two different bands. Some people liked the first band and some liked the second band. I liked both but thought that Hagar was an improvement.

Another band that provoked similar sentiments was The Doobie Brothers. Some people hated what Michael McDonald brought and some loved him.

And some people never cared for either band, ever. :D

Hagar was more than a fill in...he had a very successful career as a guitarist, songwriter, and a great vocalist before Van Halen. Then Van Halen asked him to join and during the time he was there the band was the most successful they had ever been in their entire career.

Diamond Dave was a weak vocalist who did nothing on his own other than one minor hit (a cover).

Don't forget about his Rum. :dance:

I remember when I was a teenager and my Dad's company was having layoffs. He'd worked his entire career with that company, and I don't know what he'd have done if he lost his job in that economic environment. He wasn't fired, but that memory has stayed with me all my life.

As a single person, I have only myself to rely on. That's one reason I've been diligent about saving - to make sure I could take care of myself if I lost a job or had to stop work for health reasons.

I commented a few months ago that instead of planning for retirement, what people should be planning for is an age 50-ish UWS (unplanned work stoppage).

If it doesn't happen the rest is gravy.
Yes Sir! Exactly the conversation I have had with both soon to be middle aged sons. Have at least enough saved to go into business for yourself, or work PT, if necessary.

Yep, never going to be a greeter at Walmart ! I might volunteer at a non-profit org if I believe in the mission.

I remember when I was a teenager and my Dad's company was having layoffs. He'd worked his entire career with that company, and I don't know what he'd have done if he lost his job in that economic environment. He wasn't fired, but that memory has stayed with me all my life.

As a single person, I have only myself to rely on. That's one reason I've been diligent about saving - to make sure I could take care of myself if I lost a job or had to stop work for health reasons.

DW and I were single for decades, before marrying well into middle age. We both assumed in our 20's that there would be no one to take care of us financially. So we both were strong savers, but never felt like we were deprived.

A few decades later, DW and I married and, several years later, realized that we could both FIRE. The fact that we BOTH saved when single allowed an exit 5-7 years earlier than the best case guestimate from my early 30's. I'm every grateful for DW disciple and foresight! :)

That’s appalling! I’m not going to look up the decision now but I’d be curious as to their rationale.

Back to Walmart ....

I ended up retiring early because my MIL moved in with us. The job market had started to tank in my field, salaries were dropping, job duties increasing. I got laid off and began to look for another job.

To get anywhere near the salary I used to command, I would have to commute. Not far in distance, but easily a 1 hr-90 min slog combo of public trans/freeway rush hour driving.

When MIL moved in we discovered her 'absent-mindedness' was in fact, mild dementia. We weren't comfortable leaving her alone all day; all our neighbors worked, the area is urbanized but very hilly, and she didn't make friends easily.

So I calculated what average salaries nearby would be, after taxes. Subtracting expenses from that, I would be clearing a munificent total [NOT] of $1500/mo, while being gone 11-12 hrs per day.

MIL offered to help pay 1/3 our mortgage and food costs. That was $800-1100 cash, so......it all came out equal.

I stayed home, and Spouse worked another 4 yrs, then took ER. Things were not always easy with MIL, but eventually we moved her to a very fine Asst Lvg facility where she absolutely blossomed. She was a very social person but we're more introverted, which wasn't good for her dementia. At the facility there was lots of cheerful, casual social contact and it worked out much better for her.

Financially my ER was not a problem. We had done a lot of work on financial planning in our early 50's, and Spouse has a good pension with health bennies.

Unlike many here, we are not the LBYM type. We're more the LRUTYM - Live Right Up To Your Means. Spending $$$$ was never a problem for us, LOL!

We're currently investigating senior living facilities for ourselves, with the alternative of simply moving to a condo with an elevator, then renting our home out/selling it. We have LTCi so are covered for a large percentage of eldercare expenses.

Financially my ER was not a problem. We had done a lot of work on financial planning in our early 50's, and Spouse has a good pension with health bennies.

Unlike many here, we are not the LBYM type. We're more the LRUTYM - Live Right Up To Your Means. Spending $$$$ was never a problem for us, LOL!

The power of a good pension with retiree health bennies! It makes planning easier, even if you live "right up to your means".

Great for you to help out MIL. Been down this road, not always easily, especially dealing with the situation every day. My hats off to you guys!

I ended up retiring early because my MIL moved in with us. The job market had started to tank in my field, salaries were dropping, job duties increasing. I got laid off and began to look for another job.

To get anywhere near the salary I used to command, I would have to commute. Not far in distance, but easily a 1 hr-90 min slog combo of public trans/freeway rush hour driving.

When MIL moved in we discovered her 'absent-mindedness' was in fact, mild dementia. We weren't comfortable leaving her alone all day; all our neighbors worked, the area is urbanized but very hilly, and she didn't make friends easily.

So I calculated what average salaries nearby would be, after taxes. Subtracting expenses from that, I would be clearing a munificent total [NOT] of $1500/mo, while being gone 11-12 hrs per day.

MIL offered to help pay 1/3 our mortgage and food costs. That was $800-1100 cash, so......it all came out equal.

I stayed home, and Spouse worked another 4 yrs, then took ER. Things were not always easy with MIL, but eventually we moved her to a very fine Asst Lvg facility where she absolutely blossomed. She was a very social person but we're more introverted, which wasn't good for her dementia. At the facility there was lots of cheerful, casual social contact and it worked out much better for her.

We're currently investigating senior living facilities for ourselves, with the alternative of simply moving to a condo with an elevator, then renting our home out/selling it. We have LTCi so are covered for a large percentage of eldercare expenses.

Congratulations -- good to hear about alternatives to the usual INTJ lifestyles that prevail on this forum. Not that there's anything wrong with that....

I don't see much discussion on the other side of the coin. Company I worked for recently went belly-up after 40 years in business. They had so many upper 50s early sixties crowd that worked there for many years and drew huge paychecks and didn't contribute like they had in the past. They also took on two small companies that were hurting financially with, who pays large salaries and again, the older crowd. We had too many chiefs and not enough Indians doing the work and it eventually led to the company's demise just a couple months ago, taking 100 people down.

There were other factors involved but in my estimation this was a prime reason poor cash flow issues in the end and they didn't make the moves quick enough to right the ship. I'm not one of the Young Bucks at 48 years old, but I expect a similar work product out of my peers and contemporaries who are there with me. If they are just dead weight, I don't have time for that.

I left about six months before this went down. But I was seeing it happen in slow motion while I was there and has I kept in touch with others.

Back
Top Bottom