Share Your FIRE Milestones - 2021

How's this for a similar trajectory?
Graduated in 1990 with student loans (<$0 NW)
$1M - 2012
$2M - 2016
$3M - 2018
$4M - 2020
$5M - Q1 2021
At end of Q2 2021 we're at $5.4M (total net worth is roughly +$250k more to reflect value of our primary home).

Congrats srblanco so it’s nice to see the gains people making it would be great info to say what investments gave those kinds of returns for us poorer people at less than 400000 lol

Congrats srblanco so it’s nice to see the gains people making it would be great info to say what investments gave those kinds of returns for us poorer people at less than 400000 lol
For the most part investments are fairly vanilla - pretty much all Vanguard index funds coupled with time in the market (and we save somewhere between 30-40% of our gross income each year).

We also realized about a $600k gain at the end of 2018 related to the sale of a business, which certainly helped but was not the main reason for our good fortune.

For the most part investments are fairly vanilla - pretty much all Vanguard index funds coupled with time in the market (and we save somewhere between 30-40% of our gross income each year).

We also realized about a $600k gain at the end of 2018 related to the sale of a business, which certainly helped but was not the main reason for our good fortune.

Thanks for sharing and like I said congrats as a lot of people want to get where ur at so they finally can tell their boss to take this job and shove it lol

Wifes 401k just reached 1 million.
We're gonna go out for dinner to celebrate. We'll use a gift card purchased with credit card points to pay for it.

Last edited:
We were really close to a new million mark before we had to pay our June quarterly taxes, which knocked us back substantially. Friday got us back over that hump thanks to some market gains and (mostly) rent payments. Sold an 8 unit this year and a 9 unit last and a single family the year before - now down to just a triplex and a 16. Very odd to have the monthly rent roll be so short and the deposits shrinking. Somehow I think we're going to be ok though.

We just hit the $1MM mark in June. I am 53 and spouse is 50. We are essentially a 1 income family. Spouse earns $10k/yr working as a sub teacher after staying home with the kids for a long time and my income has only recently passed $100K gross. Never contributed more than 5% of income to retirement plans. Inherited $100K 7 years ago. House will be paid off in 3 years. 1 kid through college debt free and the last one starting college next month with enough in 529s to cover undergrad. Spouse won't be eligible for SS on her own, but I will and will have 3 different small pensions.

Congratulations on all your milestones!! Very happy for all of you.

Crossed a big NW #. Don't typically track this too close, but since I recently turned 40 I decided to check...with RE, Equities and Cash we made a nice milestone.

Also completed a massive backyard reno.

And set some personal PRs that I would consider health is wealth type of milestones.

Things really seem to be "firing on all cylinders" lately.

1980-$0, with just a shirt on my back coming to this country as a refugee.
2021- NW 9.2M(4.9M stock/bonds, 4.3M in real estate)

Thank you America for the opportunity

Congratulations on your achievements.

I want to echo on your last comment. We came to America as students 20+ years ago and this great country gave us everything. Now we are in mid 40s and hopefully I will early retire at 50 and my hubby will keep working until 60. By then, my kids will be out of college and totally independent and we are still not too old to enjoy our golden years. :LOL:

I had similar net worth growth spurt like others have posted

$1.0M 2012 Age 50
$2.0M 2017 Age 55
$3.0M 2019 Age 57
$4.0M 2020 Age 58
$4.5M 2021 Age 59

in my 30's/40's I would have bet that I'd never see these numbers so it shows that the power of time/doubling eventually kicks in if you keep plugging along

$1.0M 2012 Age 50
$2.0M 2017 Age 55
$3.0M 2019 Age 57
$4.0M 2020 Age 58
$4.5M 2021 Age 59

in my 30's/40's I would have bet that I'd never see these numbers so it shows that the power of time/doubling eventually kicks in if you keep plugging along

Yea, it's crazy to me these numbers, but a little less crazy seeing folks with similar trajectories. Also, makes me realize how long it took me/most to amass the first million, then how fast things grow after that.

$1.0M 2012 Age 50
$2.0M 2017 Age 55
$3.0M 2019 Age 57
$4.0M 2020 Age 58
$4.5M 2021 Age 59

All in stocks?

95% in aggressive mutual funds of different objectives. No individual stocks in the last 10 years or so. The market has been very kind over the last 10-12 years.

$1.0M 2012 Age 50
$2.0M 2017 Age 55
$3.0M 2019 Age 57
$4.0M 2020 Age 58
$4.5M 2021 Age 59

Retired?

Im 38, wife is 36...we crunched numbers over the weekend and reached $1,563,000. First time we ran numbers and passed 1.5...that was nice to see. This number doesnt reflect house, which we never include.

I hit a two significant milestones after the close of the market yesterday:

1. I have hit my barebones FI number.
2. My investment portfolio is the same size as when I divorced a few years ago.

Of course for #2, it would be significantly higher if we didn't divorce! Such is life. [emoji2]

Congrats! I always enjoy reading about others overcoming the financial hit a divorce brings. Such is life, indeed!

Im 38, wife is 36...we crunched numbers over the weekend and reached $1,563,000. First time we ran numbers and passed 1.5...that was nice to see. This number doesnt reflect house, which we never include.

The equity part of your house is asset so why wouldn’t you include that?

Thought I'd tell a bunch of faceless folks on the internet that we paid off our mortgage today. :dance:

We had a 30 yr loan at 6% which we refinanced after 6 years to a 15 yr - 3.25% in 2012. We had been paying it down gradually but did so with vigor this past year or so. The last straw was that Navy Fed was late pulling out my payment on Jul 1. With only $17k owed ...... (BOOM)!

Nice to be entirely debt free. Now if only my wife would give a firm date to stop working.

The equity part of your house is asset so why wouldn’t you include that?

To us, its not something that we will ever touch (meaning sell or borrow against.) For now, we will live in in at least another 30 years if not forever. Since we will never put our house up as collateral, our home will never pay our bills, it'll never feed us or pay for vacations. Our investments will.

For retirement planning, including our house in our NW is meaningless. We are only interested in knowing how much our funds that we plan on living off of are worth. Since our home does not generate $$, its not included.

I know including home is a touchy subject. Different strokes for different folks. In my eyes, it pads people's numbers. If our house generated income, we would include it. If we had rentals, they would also be included.

Back
Top Bottom