Software or Online Site to Analyze Multiple Accounts as One?

fidler4

Recycles dryer sheets
Can anyone recommend a web site or software that can bring together several retirement accounts to show what the total asset allocation is?

My wife and I have 3 separate retirement accounts each (Roth IRA, Traditional IRA & 457b). Each of the accounts is invested in various Vanguard Index Funds. All of the IRA's are Vanguard. What I currently do is put everything into Excel to determine what the overall AA is for the accounts. I list each account, the funds then whether its a Bond ,Dom Stock, or Intl Stock.

Is there a site someone could recommend where I can input the various funds and have it give me an asset allocation?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Thanks Steelyman that is exactly what I was looking for. This is going to be easier than my Excel method.

Thanks Steelyman that is exactly what I was looking for. This is going to be easier than my Excel method.

Great! Y'welcome. That's why you're here (plus to read the ridiculous things we post :) )

I define all my accounts in Vanguard and link DW's accounts so when i run a Vanguard Portfolio Watch report it includes all of our accounts. Easy. Updates itself and easier than reentering everything in X-Ray.

FWIW, here are screenshots of our Portfolio(s) in the CNN application.

Personal Capital gives MUCH more data along with tracking e-mails on all accounts (including Checking, for instance).

Attachments

• CNN-1.JPG
    CNN-1.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 20
  • CNN-2.JPG
    CNN-2.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 22
  • CNN-3.JPG
    CNN-3.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 20
  • CNN-4.JPG
    CNN-4.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 14
So this is the part that gets me nervous:
Or you could give access to your accounts to CNN Portfolio and/or Personal Capital

What does the fine print say for these sites regarding any liability if the site is hacked and your username and passwords are stolen? Or, is it just me being overly paranoid these days?

What does the fine print say for these sites regarding any liability if the site is hacked and your username and passwords are stolen? Or, is it just me being overly paranoid these days?

No, it is not you alone. This is mentioned quite often. I have used both services for about five years now with no bumps. They (and several pundits) tell me they use the same service that the major banks, credit card companies, brokerages, etc. use -- they, of course, share all your data amongst themselves.

So if you live in a cave and have never shared any information, you are good to go. Otherwise, you should do the research yourself and not take my comfort as permission granted.

(BTW, I have no financial or any other-than-user relationship with either company -- I don't even have stock in them unless it is hidden in a fund.)

I was nervous about this also and resisted for many years. But I was also nervous about using my credit card to make online purchases in 1999, and I eventually got over that. As did most everyone.

Personal Capital was founded by Bill Harris, former CEO of Intuit and Paypal. He's also been with several other companies involved in computer, financial, and network security. They reportedly use technology and processes, same as most banks or brokerage houses. So I trust the security (at least as much as I do a bank), and I've been using these services since I dumped Quicken a couple years ago.

I have experience with Mint, Fidelity Full View (w/ GPS), and Personal Capital. I also did a trial subscription at Morningstar for the portfolio manager w/ X-ray, etc. I found X-ray to be no better than free services like GPS and Personal Capital, so I canceled before the trial period ended. Mint is very good for expense tracking, budgeting, debt reduction, etc. But is lacking on investment analytics. Fidelity Full-View with GPS is also very good, but I've had problems such as having a particular investment show up as "unknown" in the asset allocation, with no ability to correct or override.

Personal Capital seems to work the best for me. It's a bit lacking on transaction tracking, but mainly little things like no ability to split a transaction into two accounts or categories. Also, no budgeting capability. But I find the portfolio analytics to be excellent... asset allocation down to individual securities, developed/emerging, sectors, efficient frontier, fees, ERs, yields, performance metrics, tax efficiency.

I can certainly relate to the security concerns. But if you can get past that, these tools are an excellent free resource.

When you use a tracking option like personal capital, and allow it to login to your accounts, can you inform the software that your 401k fund x is just like Vanguard Developed Markets? Or, will it only analyze investments with symbols?

When you use a tracking option like personal capital, and allow it to login to your accounts, can you inform the software that your 401k fund x is just like Vanguard Developed Markets? Or, will it only analyze investments with symbols?

Yes, with Personal Capital, you can set up an investment holding with no ticker symbol, and assign it whatever asset classes you want. For equities, you can also assign sectors. This allows it to show up correctly in the asset allocation and portfolio analytics. You can do this manually or by specifying a ticker (or mix of tickers) to represent your holding.

DW is still working and I use this for her vested pension lump sum. I assigned asset classes/sectors according to the pension's underlying portfolio. I also set up our rental houses as investments using this capability. They show up in the allocation as Alternatives/Real Estate.

Of course, this is manual and both the value and allocation must be maintained. The system works more efficiently with actual ticker symbols. But for those cases where there is no ticker, you do have the capability to manually assign asset class and sector.

Thanks for the info on Personal Capital - somehow I've never heard of it before and it looks interesting. I've been using Morningstar X-Ray but I'm not thrilled with either the interface or the reporting.

Yes, with Personal Capital, you can set up an investment holding with no ticker symbol, and assign it whatever asset classes you want. For equities, you can also assign sectors. This allows it to show up correctly in the asset allocation and portfolio analytics. You can do this manually or by specifying a ticker (or mix of tickers) to represent your holding.

DW is still working and I use this for her vested pension lump sum. I assigned asset classes/sectors according to the pension's underlying portfolio. I also set up our rental houses as investments using this capability. They show up in the allocation as Alternatives/Real Estate.

Of course, this is manual and both the value and allocation must be maintained. The system works more efficiently with actual ticker symbols. But for those cases where there is no ticker, you do have the capability to manually assign asset class and sector.

Thanks for replying.

OK, to be clear, you have to manually enter the information in this case, and personal capital can't login to the account and automatically capture the total, fund by fund.

Or am I misunderstanding?

Vanguard can login to my 401k, for contrast, and tell me the fund names and balances. But it does not allocate these to a class.

I am a big fan of Personal Capital, discussed by Cobra9777 above. Have used it for about 9 months now.

OK, to be clear, you have to manually enter the information in this case, and personal capital can't login to the account and automatically capture the total, fund by fund.

Or am I misunderstanding?

Vanguard can login to my 401k, for contrast, and tell me the fund names and balances. But it does not allocate these to a class.

Let me clarify...

If you have a 401K or any account at a major financial institution, PC will login to your account, and automatically pull in all information pertaining to your account and investment holdings. As long as this information includes a valid ticker symbol for each of your holdings, all of the asset allocation and other portfolio analytics are fully automated. Nothing needs to be entered manually.

Your original question was related to those rare cases where there is no valid ticker symbol, such as for privately held funds. Or at least that's how I interpreted it...

In such cases, the amount will be imported, but PC will show it as "unclassified" in the asset allocation. As I described previously, this can be correctly classified either by specifying a representative ticker (or mix of tickers), or by manually entering the percentages of each asset class and sector.

If PC has no ability to link with the institution where your holdings are, then you will need to manually enter all the information including shares, amount, and classes. I think this is the more common case of manual investments, such as I described for my wife's pension and our rental houses. Most financial institutions will include valid tickers and everything will work fine.

Let me clarify...

If you have a 401K or any account at a major financial institution, PC will login to your account, and automatically pull in all information pertaining to your account and investment holdings. As long as this information includes a valid ticker symbol for each of your holdings, all of the asset allocation and other portfolio analytics are fully automated. Nothing needs to be entered manually.

Your original question was related to those rare cases where there is no valid ticker symbol, such as for privately held funds. Or at least that's how I interpreted it...

In such cases, the amount will be imported, but PC will show it as "unclassified" in the asset allocation. As I described previously, this can be correctly classified either by specifying a representative ticker (or mix of tickers), or by manually entering the percentages of each asset class and sector.

If PC has no ability to link with the institution where your holdings are, then you will need to manually enter all the information including shares, amount, and classes. I think this is the more common case of manual investments, such as I described for my wife's pension and our rental houses. Most financial institutions will include valid tickers and everything will work fine.

Thank you for the explanation. I was misunderstanding things.
I will give this a try when I get some extra time.

Back
Top Bottom