Staying Motivated after FI(re)

silvor

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm 50 and hit my FI goal which I pretty much saw coming for the past 3-4 years. I am having trouble staying motivated at work, and kind of life. I mean, I planned for this time forever, but now that I'm here, so what?

I don't really want to retire, as I really don't know what I would do all day. I have read the "what did you do today" threads and, no offense, nothing I read there really appeals to me.

I'm making good money (for me) at Megacorp, and don't see a reason to go on, but don't see a reason to quit. I still plan on saving the max in my retirement accounts. Then I think, "WHY"?

Anyone go through this? Any advice?

Last edited:
I just sat at my desk, surfed the internet and waited for the phone to ring.

That's the beauty of reaching your FI goal - you don't have to take any particular route, whether that be actually retiring, or continuing to work - it's your choice. Having met your goal, it just gives you another option, that you can retire if/when you want.

You'll know when it's time to leave megacorp.

I'm 50 and hit my FI goal which I pretty much saw coming for the past 3-4 years. I am having trouble staying motivated at work, and kind of life. I mean, I planned for this time forever, but now that I'm here, so what?

I don't really want to retire, as I really don't know what I would do all day. I have read the "what did you do today" threads and, no offense, nothing I read there really appeals to me.

I'm making good money (for me) at Megacorp, and don't see a reason to go on, but don't see a reason to quit.

Perhaps it will help to think of your FI as insurance in case you’re laid off or have a problem with your health. You’ve hit your financial goal but do you have personal growth goals? I have talked with many friends that are unprepared for retirement and are stuck on a treadmill without a way to get off. They haven’t thought about what their lives could be. What you have now is freedom from want. I’ll bet you have a job that stimulates rather than bores. That’s great. But is it something that you want to do at 70?

I don't know how is your health, but retirement can be really good for health. With more time, you can exercise more and do more recreational stuff.

I was a workaholic and worked 7 days a week. No one - my employees and friends, believed I would stay retired longer than a day. We sold our business because my husband wanted both of us to retire. I told him that I would give retirement a try for a year and decide whether to go back to work. I never looked back. My blood pressure is much better and tension headaches are gone for good. We golf 4 to 5 days a week and travel 3 months a year. Retirement has been good for us.

Last edited:
If your job is tolerable, there’s nothing wrong with banking some more money and having a bigger cushion for when you actually do retire.

The bigger question is what will you do if you retire. Trust me. Take a leap of faith. Once you are unencumbered from work, you will figure out the life you want and it will be great. I can’t tell you how many people say that they wouldn’t know what they’d do if retired, only to find out when they retire that they have so much to do that they don’t know how they ever got any work done. If you’re an active person, you’ll find things to do that interest you.

When you say you look at the “what did you do today” thread and it doesn’t resonate with you, that’s okay. Look in the travel forum, look at the “what we’re making” thread. There’s people on this site that do some really awesome things. There’s also people who thoroughly enjoy just being. You’ll find your road.

At 50, you don’t need to worry about putting in a few more years at the job. Take time and build a cushion while you plan your retirement. Just realize, it will be much more clear once you’ve stepped away from the job and taken some time to find yourself and figure out how you’ll do you for the next phase of your life.

Try to turn around your "problem":
How would you like to spend your time when the usual retirement age comes and your employer decides to let you go?
You will have to find answers to that question sooner or later.
Imho sooner was better, as I expected my health, open mindedness and energy level to decrease over time.
Money can't buy more years in good health.
Congrats for hitting your target. Many happy years to you.

I would decide what I want to do with the rest of my life.

Whatever you select, pursue it.

What was your goal? FI or RE?

If FI, congrats on achieving your goal. Unfortunately, it’s the kind of goal that is difficult to celebrate, except anonymously online, without sounding like an @$$. You must not have had a vision for RE, so, probably, keep working for a while, if you want to, until you have one that outweighs commuting to an office, meetings, a bad boss, whatever. It sounds like you still value w*rking for megacorp, so maybe just keep going and see how you feel. Work attitude can change, often for the better, once you know work is optional. I know I reached a new level of confidence and contribution in my last several years, because of my newfound independence. Also, the office is always changing and staff are always churning, so something might come along that makes you decide, “Forget this noise.”

If your goal was RE, it can cause a problem to set a big goal for yourself but then deny yourself the prize. So, if you intended to RE but somehow just can’t, or aren’t creative enough, or are too scared, you may be setting yourself up for stress from a kind of cognitive dissonance. In that case, your new project is either getting a plan together or just jumping off the diving board and then figuring it out.

Good luck! It’s a nice problem to have.

Last edited:
What do you do on weekends? For me every day is a weekend day, except that most places are less crowded.

I loved my career at megacorp up until I didn't. Thankfully, that happened after the financial bucket was full. I was 60.

I'd advise you to keep working if you enjoy it. You'll know when it's not fun anymore.

Ok look at it this way.

If you were fired tomorrow, what would you do? Do you have family, spouse/partner/kids you'd spend more time with? Hobbies? Travel? None of the above?

You're 50, so the odds are greater than zero that you might not get to make the decision on when your employment ends, especially if your heart's already not in the work. Your managers can tell, they know who is hungry vs. who is doing time, especially those that are doing easy time.

Find a challenge, somewhere. Ask you boss for new assignments, seek a lateral move.

I don't think you worked as hard as you think trying to be FIRE. Lol If so you would be ready to have a new life and be free from all the things about work. I don't think you are even close for the new journey in your life.

I was some what the same when I became FI. I loved my job the pay was very good but stress and all the regular things that come with the work were there. The thing I had was, I had many other passions in life. My time I valued way more then that pay check. I now wish I would have done it sooner. I have done so many things in ER that I never would have if I stayed and piled it up.

Good luck my advise is stay working and keep piling it up. I think you answered your question in just the few words about yourself. IMO you need to stay working for a long time till you figure it out and have a plan to go to.

I just sat at my desk, surfed the internet and waited for the phone to ring.

That's pretty much been my job, for the past few years. I'd usually be a bit busy two weeks out of the month, and then have a lot of slack time. It might sound dull to other people, but I got used to it, and didn't mind, because it gave me a lot of flexibility to take a day off here and there, work late one night and leave early another, and so on.

Whenever I've brought up retirement, people would sometimes ask me if I'd get bored. I'd say well what's the difference? I'm bored, here at work!

I've been working from home since 3/16/20, and now the lines between work and retirement seem a bit blurred. And, I still get bored. But I'd rather be bored at home, than have to commute 75-90 minutes round trip each day, to be bored at the office.

Once work is out of the equation, I imagine there will be days that I'm bored. But I figure that when I get bored with being bored, I'll go find something to do!

If things had gone differently, and there had been no COVID, and its after-effects, I have a feeling I would be retired by now. But working from home has taken away much of the annoyance, so I figure it's easy money, and I'll just go along with it until they try to get us to go back to the office. Or, until the BS bucket gets too full.

That's pretty much been my job, for the past few years. I'd usually be a bit busy two weeks out of the month, and then have a lot of slack time. It might sound dull to other people, but I got used to it, and didn't mind, because it gave me a lot of flexibility to take a day off here and there, work late one night and leave early another, and so on.

Whenever I've brought up retirement, people would sometimes ask me if I'd get bored. I'd say well what's the difference? I'm bored, here at work!

I've been working from home since 3/16/20, and now the lines between work and retirement seem a bit blurred. And, I still get bored. But I'd rather be bored at home, than have to commute 75-90 minutes round trip each day, to be bored at the office.

Once work is out of the equation, I imagine there will be days that I'm bored. But I figure that when I get bored with being bored, I'll go find something to do!

If things had gone differently, and there had been no COVID, and its after-effects, I have a feeling I would be retired by now. But working from home has taken away much of the annoyance, so I figure it's easy money, and I'll just go along with it until they try to get us to go back to the office. Or, until the BS bucket gets too full.
I agree with above boring is good compared to being stressed at work all the time. I have worked from home for at least 5 years now. I was on the customer service end of things dealing with customer calls and putting out fires all day long. Very stressful yet kinda of exciting. After 10 years of it someone above me decided to move me to the billing department a few years ago. I was nervous about the change but it has been the best move ever. No calls and no fires to put out anymore. Just bill, bill, bill...boring but way less stress now. I usually have just enough time to get things completed daily so I don't feel overwhelmed about work all the time.
When working from home I have always had my music playing in the background which helps get me through the day. I have recently rediscovered listening with my headphones which adds another level to the music experience. So boring work with a little music added in makes things good for me for now. Perhaps OP should seek out new
position or challenges at work or just add a little music to the day.
Had a doctor's appointment yesterday and got a reminder of the horrible traffic most office people have to deal with everyday. Ugggg when did 80 MPH become the new 65. I think not having to commute would be reason enough to RE if financially possible.
As others have stated most people who retire will say they should have done it sooner and that they are so busy they don't know how they found time to work.
We recently lost a very good friend/neighbor at 75 years young who would state above. He was a snowbirder who had a small home here in Phoenix and one in Ohio. Big car guy who was always working on his many car projects here and in Ohio. We thought he was in pretty great shape for his age. Very active always working on his cars or around the house. He was a very optimistic person and a lot of fun to hangout with. He probably could have retired a lot sooner than he did. He was really enjoying his retirement, his cars, being close to his kids and grandkids. He was really a great guy gone to soon.
So I would just say time is precious and hopefully you can find things that bring you joy whether while working or in ER if you choose that route.

What do you do on weekends? For me every day is a weekend day, except that most places are less crowded.

I live on a few acres of land so that keeps me busy enough (if I want to be) on the weekends. Besides that, normal guy stuff - watch sports, drink beer. :)

I have a 16 and 18 year old who are paying their own way through school (I'm making them), so I really have no money commitments there.

Yeah, I'm kinda boring...:D

I do work from home 3 days a week, so perhaps that is part of the fear of not quitting. The most annoying part of my job is the commute - so with COVID, that's pretty much been taken away.

Instead of saving the max, spend a bit. Take a better vacation. Splurge on a toy. Take an extra unpaid week with your kids before they leave.
FI gives you options RE is just one option.

Instead of saving the max, spend a bit. Take a better vacation. Splurge on a toy. Take an extra unpaid week with your kids before they leave.
FI gives you options RE is just one option.

This ^
With 16 and 18 year olds who will be off on their own very soon, make some memories with them that they will talk about for years!

If you enjoy your job, no reason to retire yet if you are not ready. Do you look forward to working everyday? Anticipate Monday mornings?
Perhaps now you have the freedom to really start thinking about what YOU want to do for the rest of your life.
Congratulations on reaching your financial goal.
If you do continue working and saving, one option could be to surprise your sons by letting them know you will pick up tuition for their senior year. They most likely would appreciate that.

Am 57 and retired. The last 10 years of my working life (45-55) I was in the same situation. We had plenty of $$$, I was on autopilot at work and definitely not motivated.

In my teens and 20s I had been a moderately successful amateur athlete. I stopped when work and family consumed my time. Over the years I had forgotten how much fun that was.

Then one day I received a random e-mail from a friend asking if I was interested in a weekend bike race. I raced, finished near DFL … dead eFfing Last, and felt great!

So during the last decade when was working I started competing again on the weekends and disappearing mid-day for hours on a training run or a ride during the work week. I would block out that time on my calendar and close my office door. Although my CEO was aware and very supportive of what I was doing, my co-workers and project delivery team members just assumed I was in a “meeting”. Got back into shape and re-started racing again in the weekends. They eventually figured it out as my weight was coming down.

Looking back, since the usual crap at work (hitting profit goals, tight project timelines, managing cranky clients, etc) wasn’t motivating me anymore, I reverted back to what I knew would, amateur athletic events.

Congrats on hitting your FI goals and good luck finding your path forward.

I'm making good money (for me) at Megacorp, and don't see a reason to go on, but don't see a reason to quit. I still plan on saving the max in my retirement accounts. Then I think, "WHY"?

I would invest a lot of time into what you love and hate doing and move in that direction Some times the answer is right in front of u.

After I retired I got back into sprots photographer and it's been a very positive experience and something I love doing
good luck

Well just keep working until you don't want to. I noticed you plan on making your kids pay for school another year or two work could help fund them some school. You realize you make enough money so they won't get need based aid? IMO those kids end up stuck between a rock and hard place.

Sounds to me like you don't really have a problem, unless boss decides to punish you for lack of motivation. Maybe a change in responsibilities at work would help make work more interesting.

You seem to have been interested in FIRE for several years. What motivated you to plan ahead? At 50 you have time to do what you want but you appear to have a problem moving now that you have attained your goal. Do you know where you want to go with your life?

Back
Top Bottom