Suze in Trouble.......

I'm not sure why Suze Orman bothers people so much. No-one has a gun to our heads to make us watch her on TV or read one of her books, so what is the issue? If you don't like what she has to say ignore her. Obviously her advice is directed at a certain portion of the population, and like Dave Ramsey it will turn on the light bulb for some of those who do pay attention.

I see a similar situation on a woman's board I am a member of. So many of the members are rubbing their hands with glee because the marriage of Jon&Kate+8 is in trouble. Their issue is they don't agree with her parenting advice. Well it's really simple don't watch it.

As to Suze's sexuality and who did what for her, who cares? Is it relevant to the advice she gives? As to her giving bad advice, I don't follow her, from what I have seen nothing she says is too outrageous.

Obviously her advice is directed at a certain portion of the population, and like Dave Ramsey it will turn on the light bulb for some of those who do pay attention.
Yep. As I said before, Orman and Ramsey primarily target a specific audience, the vast majority of which are considerably less financially literate than most of us here. When we listen to their advice, we'd do well to keep that in mind. For us, some of it seems simplistic or contrary to a savvy strategy. For them, it may be a kick in the butt they need.

Their intended audiences don't need to "fine tune" a financial plan with a few adjustments to asset allocation, withdrawal rate or tax strategy. They need a broad based kick in the butt, they need MAJOR financial and lifestyle adjustments, and even it's something as simplistic as "avoid debt like the plague" and "don't spend more than you earn", there are a lot of people who need this kick in the pants to get them pointed in the right general direction even as it seems like "wow, duh" to us. Once they *are* pointed in the right direction and they want to learn more, *then* they can start arguing the "small stuff" we cover here from time to time.

Yep. As I said before, Orman and Ramsey primarily target a specific audience, the vast majority of which are considerably less financially literate than most of us here.

I wonder who lost most in the last 18 months? The average hotshot on this forum, or old dumb Suze? She would have to have really messed up her munis to do any worse than I did.

Ha

I wonder who lost most in the last 18 months? The average hotshot on this forum, or old dumb Suze? She would have to have really messed up her munis to do any worse than I did.
A fair point, but most of us are investing for 18 *years* or more, not 18 months. If a mostly-invested portfolio doesn't beat munis for the next 18 years given the flatline we've had for the last 12 years, we're so screwed that my asset allocation would likely be the least of my concerns.

Also, one truism of money management is that there's no need to take a lot of market risk if you don't need to. Suze doesn't. Most average middle-class people whose 401K represent their best and only chance to retire at a reasonable age do. If I had Orman's wealth, you know what my AA to stocks would be? Probably zero or close to it.

Comparing what Suze does and what many middle-class small investors need to do is like an apple and an orange. And don't get me started on Dave Ramsey and his claims of 12% returns on stock funds...

A fair point, but most of us are investing for 18 *years* or more, not 18 months. If a mostly-invested portfolio doesn't beat munis for the next 18 years given the flatline we've had for the last 12 years, we're so screwed that my asset allocation would likely be the least of my concerns.

Also, one truism of money management is that there's no need to take a lot of market risk if you don't need to. Suze doesn't. Most average middle-class people whose 401K represent their best and only chance to retire at a reasonable age do. If I had Orman's wealth, you know what my AA to stocks would be? Probably zero or close to it.

Comparing what Suze does and what many middle-class small investors need to do is like an apple and an orange. And don't get me started on Dave Ramsey and his claims of 12% returns on stock funds...

Yeah I bet she doesn't sweat 4% withdraw rates.. :LOL:

"I wonder who lost most in the last 18 months? The average hotshot on this forum, or old dumb Suze? She would have to have really messed up her munis to do any worse than I did."
Even a blind mouse finds an acorn once in a while. And if she's holding them long term she's an idiot, and she'll take an a$$ whopping a couple years from now. Keep in mind that we are talking about a woman that suggested a high yielding dividend mutual fund to her audience. You want to talk about stupid there you go.

Back
Top Bottom