Tax software functionality and deals

Bobandsherry posted this on the Office 365 thread and I jumped on it. Basically Newegg giving you $30 off O365 and 3 months free and H&RB thrown in for good measure. If you already use O365 this won't be beat (or were thinking about using it). I can confirm it extends your O365 from whatever expiration date you previously had.

Here's a great deal for Office 365 Family (up to 6 users) 15 Month Subscription. Plus you also get 2021 H&R Block Deluxe + State Windows. $69.98

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?sdtid=15434914&ItemList=Combo.4407349

I've now extended my Office 365 subscription and set for next years taxes.

I would've thought the Federal Office of Personnel Management had high security too, yet China got personal details on many citizens with security clearances. Still I e-file every year.
The OPM breach first discovered in 2014 is described at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Personnel_Management_data_breach

"Security experts have stated that the biggest problem with the breach was not the failure to prevent remote break-ins, but the absence of mechanisms to detect outside intrusion and the lack of proper encryption of sensitive data."

So the data was not encrypted at rest. What happened then is very different from present events because threats continually evolve. So "they" do get in more frequently than you know, but if a company follows the proper measures then no data is compromised.

You and I don't have a way to evaluate with certainty that a particular company is good at this. I go with larger companies for this reason. Policies and funding is more likely to be as recommended. We don't have perfection yet, that is for sure.

Just got a mailing from HR Block for $15 off (used them last year) so can get Deluxe+State for $29.95. Will hold on to this just in case nothing better comes along.

Yes but it goes encrypted straight to the irs where they supposedly have high security. Using TT online is sending more details than just the filing forms and to a additional source.

I don't think it goes directly to the IRS. According to this https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/efile-with-commercial-software, the return is "securely transmitted through an IRS-approved electronic channel." Which is probably the tax software developer, such as Intuit. They may send more detail using TurboTax Online vs. TurboTax CD/Download, but I think they have access to all of it. It doesn't even look very difficult to become an authorized e-file provider. Here are the IRS instruction. https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/become-an-authorized-e-file-provider

Like the $10 or $20 is going to make a difference :LOL: I researched last year's purchase. I bought Deluxe+State from Walmart for $22ish+tax on 11/27, but I couldn't get the download to work, so bought from Amazon for $22ish+tax on 11/30. Wrangled a refund for "non-refundable software purchase" from Walmart.

This year, according to camelcamelcamel, Deluxe+State dropped from $45 down to the current $35 yesterday. Same pricing at Walmart (not that I'll go there, being burned last year).

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/tax-software-deals-106096-10.html#post2518984

Attachments

• taxsoftwareprices.jpg
    taxsoftwareprices.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Bobandsherry posted this on the Office 365 thread and I jumped on it. Basically Newegg giving you $30 off O365 and 3 months free and H&RB thrown in for good measure. If you already use O365 this won't be beat (or were thinking about using it). I can confirm it extends your O365 from whatever expiration date you previously had.

This is amazing. I am currently an Office 365 subscriber. What is the process to do this so it adds on to my current subscription?

This is amazing. I am currently an Office 365 subscriber. What is the process to do this so it adds on to my current subscription?

Buy it from Newegg. You'll get two emails, one for O365 and one for H&RB.

The 365 email will have a code. Log into your MS Account, go to "manage" your 365 subscription, click on redeem code, paste in the code, it adds 15 months to your subscription. Note, this offer is for Office 365 Family edition.

Then go to the the H&RB email, click the download link, install, start up, enter your activation code, do your taxes.

I did it all within 30 mins of bobandsherry's posting this morning.

The 365 email will have a code. Log into your MS Account, go to "manage" your 365 subscription, click on redeem code, paste in the code, it adds 15 months to your subscription. Note, this offer is for Office 365 Family edition.

Then go to the the H&RB email, click the download link, install, start up, enter your activation code, do your taxes.

I did it all within 30 mins of bobandsherry's posting this morning.

Thanks. I extended my Office 15 months which is great and am downloading H&R Block now. I don't actually need the Deluxe edition (Basic is fine for me) but this was basically free. This was really just an amazing deal.

H&R Block Deluxe + State is $22.50 on Amazon today. I went ahead and bit. Might have left $5 on the table over the lowest it went last year but now I can start planning and I'm frugal not cheap. :LOL:

I didn’t realize that, thanks. I wonder if Amazon ever matches Costco’s Jan discount $34.86 Deluxe and $54.86 Premier both Fed & State w free Fed eFile? That’s what I wait for every year.
My experience is yes they do match at some point.

When is Turbo Tax Premier needed?

I have SS income, pension income, interest income and some mutual fund distributions. No rental properties, partnerships, or self-employed income. No investments outside the USA except for an international stock mutual fund.

The TT site seems to encourage getting the Premier edition, but I wonder why?

The usual reasons (greed). We have above situation and downloaded Deluxe version always works. Wouldn’t know it by reading TT literature. They tried to remove schedule D capability from Deluxe many years ago but caved to the outcry.

H&R Block Deluxe + State is $22.50 on Amazon today. I went ahead and bit. Might have left $5 on the table over the lowest it went last year but now I can start planning and I'm frugal not cheap. :LOL:

Newegg has the same price for this ($22.49) and deluxe without state for
$17.49 for those of you who live in an income-tax free state like me.

Newegg has the same price for this ($22.49) and deluxe without state for
$17.49 for those of you who live in an income-tax free state like me.

The state is $17.49 on Amazon... I screwed up and software and not returnable even though I didn't download... here I thought I was being cheap but I was just BTD! :facepalm: Last year I bought the plus state as it was cheaper than the fed only when I bought. What I get for shopping before caffeine.

In addition to SORR, one must watch out for their own stupidity in RE.

That price works for me thanks for the heads up.

I also want to mention it automatically converted my "Personal" version of 365 to "Family" without any fanfare. So I get 3 months of "free" upgrade too. My subscription now runs through May 2023.

Thanks. I extended my Office 15 months which is great and am downloading H&R Block now. I don't actually need the Deluxe edition (Basic is fine for me) but this was basically free. This was really just an amazing deal.

Last year I had a thread on comparing HRB to TT. At the time, I gave TT a slight edge but also walked it back a bit to mostly a tie. I think now that I have a previous year's information on HRB, it will be more useful this year.

This was a good deal. I was letting MS 365 Family just auto renew. This deal got me:
- An upgrade to the Family version
- 3 extra months
- And HRB Deluxe

... for almost exactly the same after-tax price if I let it auto-renew. Nice.

Last edited:

They have lowered the price to $22.49, someone must have told them what the NewEgg price is. Woo-hoo!
:LOL:

The usual reasons (greed). We have above situation and downloaded Deluxe version always works. Wouldn’t know it by reading TT literature. They tried to remove schedule D capability from Deluxe many years ago but caved to the outcry.

I need to get Premier for ESPP shares, otherwise I could use Deluxe.

I tried other tax programs for ESPP and TurboTax handles them the easiest/best. At this point, I’ll stick with them until they give me a reason not to.

I bought Premier the day after Christmas last year on Amazon. My history shows $49.42, so I’m guessing it was $45 + tax. I recall getting a $10 Amazon gift card too. I guess I’ll wait a bit longer and see if I can score a similar deal this year.

It also has a 3% refund bonus offer from Amazon. One could force a refund and get 3% return on the money in a few months :cool:

Can someone who has actually done this, explain how it works.

They have lowered the price to $22.49, someone must have told them what the NewEgg price is. Woo-hoo!
:LOL:

Just got it for $21.49, because they automatically applied a $1.00 "Amazon Day" discount. Never heard of it before, but I'll take it. They said the price is good for the next 15 hours.

Back
Top Bottom