The USD is Stronger.

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Is this just noise or is it a trend?

Will the USD get to where it was 8 or 9 years ago? It seems to me that the USD was almost on par with the Euro at one time.

The most common story I hear is that the Dollar has bottomed while other currencies, especially the Euro, are getting weaker. We still have problems, but now everybody else is dealing with it as well. Long-term prospects for the Dollar haven't changed much, but short term it looks pretty good. I've sold almost all of my positions that are exposed to currency exchange risk and went long the Dollar with some UUP a couple of weeks ago.

I think the USD still has plenty of problems. The economy isn't going to start booming again overnight but the USD was so beaten up and commodities had just gone up too much too quick.

Compare the USD with other countries/currencies though. Besides the franc, most of the beatings of USD vs. XXX has already occured. Not that it can't go down further because I do not know, but the dollar has principally already gone down because of expectations in a weaker economy and the dropping of the interest rates. The EU was doing well economically, and then just recently (last 3-4 months) it seems that they will need to lower their rates and go into a slowdown. This, I believe, is one of the major reasons of the sinking oil... it helps the dollar and weakens demand. This being said, I feel the dollar does have some more upside left to tackle.

IMHO, the dollar is a little too weak relative to the Euro, but way too strong relative to the RMB (=Chinese yuan). I base these wild-ass statements on the relative costs of random items, as I've experienced them.

Even a stopped clock is correct twice a day, and the Greenback will no doubt experience periods of relative strength. But the fundamentals are discouraging.

Back
Top Bottom