Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations - it's a great achievement.

I well remember the first time I joined the club ... and the second and third times
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #42

I made it. Today. Finally. I can't believe it I want to shout this from the rooftops but there is nobody I feel comfortable telling. Except you guys (and my husband).
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:06 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I made it. Today. Finally. I can't believe it I want to shout this from the rooftops but there is nobody I feel comfortable telling. Except you guys (and my husband).
Congrats!!
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #44

For those of us that are old enough to remember when $100,000 was a big deal, this is a really big deal! Congratulations!
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:32 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That was the hard part, the next million is easier.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:52 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good for you! Keep going!

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:53 PM   #47

I hope so! But I am happy with this. It's been my goal for so long.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 11-30-2017, 06:55 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I made it. Today. Finally. I can't believe it
Good Golly!

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:06 PM   #49

Quote:
Wonderful! Congratulations!
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Congrats and at least for me it was a yuge psychological event since my initial planning had indicated we would need 1.3 million to retire (assuming working until full SS benefit age). 5.5 years later and it has doubled, which I never, ever had imagined.
You should be very proud.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
Congrats and at least for me it was a yuge psychological event since my initial planning had indicated we would need 1.3 million (assuming working until full SS benefit age). 5.5 years later and it has doubled, which I never, ever had imagined.
You should be very proud.

WOW! Doubled in 5.5 years?!? How exciting for you!
Old 11-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Well done and congrats Miss Molly!
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:43 PM   #53

Congrats! Happy for you.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:14 PM   #54

Quote:
WOW! Doubled in 5.5 years?!? How exciting for you!
I looked at Quicken and the portfolio almost tripled between early '02 and '07, almost (but not quite) doubled between early '07 and early '12, and almost but not quite doubled between early '12 and now.
We didn't have a lot invested yet in '02 and increased significantly our investments/withholding then and increased even more in '12 when our oldest was graduating from college (and it was clear we had enough to pay for the youngest to get through school), so it makes sense, in retrospect. I had expected a slower increase the last five years since I stopped witholding in mid '15 and DW took a sharp cut in salary when we moved to Reno in '15.
YMMV but the increase caused by compounding can be a bit shocking in the later years--barring yuge recessions, etc.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:47 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
That was the hard part, the next million is easier.
Each subsequent million is easier because you have the prior million(s) generating returns. When you start out, OTOH, you have nothing. That's why the first is so hard.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:44 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Each subsequent million is easier because you have the prior million(s) generating returns. When you start out, OTOH, you have nothing. That's why the first is so hard.
Aaah yes, I was wondering why that was. Thank you for explaining it

As REW said, good golly Congratulations MissMolly - you are inspiring me! I have a little way to go, and will probably have to weather a downturn or two before I finally make the club, but I will get there.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:51 AM   #57

Not sure whether this is the reference for the OP's moniker, but I grew up listening to Bob Wills (Granddad lived a stone's throw across the Red River in Oklahoma across from Wichita Falls where Wills started.)

Old 12-01-2017, 06:16 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Aaah yes, I was wondering why that was. Thank you for explaining it

As REW said, good golly Congratulations MissMolly - you are inspiring me! I have a little way to go, and will probably have to weather a downturn or two before I finally make the club, but I will get there.
If I can then I know you can!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:19 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
Not sure whether this is the reference for the OP's moniker, but I grew up listening to Bob Wills (Granddad lived a stone's throw across the Red River in Oklahoma across from Wichita Falls where Wills started.)

No, actually Molly was the name of my little Yorkie (see my avatar) who I lost to kidney failure last year. I still miss her every day
Old 12-01-2017, 07:52 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Good for you.

Now, remember, in an (inevitable) downturn it may retreat a bit, but at this point the critical mass is there for you. Any downturns are just your million(s) taking a breather!

Just hold a broadly diversified portfolio and continue to control your spending. It will grow and grow over time -- your own personal endowment.