vanguard fyi

My only complaints about VG, is they do not have a Brick and Mortar office to go to if one wants to talk to someone.

That’s one of the ways they strive to be the low cost leader across all of their services and funds, not just a few loss-leader funds to set the hook.

That’s one of the ways they strive to be the low cost leader across all of their services and funds, not just a few loss-leader funds to set the hook.
True. And it works; a customer tradeoff between high service and lower prices.

Three years ago +/- I wrote and distributed an RFP for investment advisors to run about $5M for a nonrofit I'm involved with. VG was one of the six companies we sent it to and, no real surprise, were the lowest cost at 40bps. As it turned out, we went with a firm having a higher service model but costing us 58bps. We are getting the high service and are very happy but the comparison makes the VG strategy clear. None of the other responders was even close to 40bps.

Vanguard would be considered more than adequate if it were not for Schwab and Fidelity.

Spouse had an IRA CD come due with company x. She transferred it to Ally and Vanguard. It took 2 days to get to Ally and after 6 weeks Vanguard
said the got it (I got it meaning FLOAT?) and will take 48 more hours to process.
Reminds me of the famous saying "Never give you customer a reason to look elsewhere"

just our experience

ALLY is an FDIC insured Bank.

Vanguard in not a bank.

I have accounts at Schwab, Fidelity, and Vanguard.

In April 2020, I rolled my company profit sharing plan to a Vanguard IRA. My company mailed a check to the “cheapest” address, but it only took a couple days.

The advisor rightly convinced me to put the cash into the market rather than dollar cost average my way back I in. I’m very happy I listened to him in April.

A few months later I decided to rollover most of my 401k to Vanguard and self-manage.

Fidelity sent it first class mail because I foolishly didn’t want to pay for express shipping. It took about 10 calendar days to reach my house. Fidelity would not send it to Vanguard.

I then sent the check, over the weekend, first class mail. Another risk in hindsight, but it was in my account within a couple of days. My advisor said I could mirror what he does in the first account and not pay the 0.3% fee so I am. He makes the same salary.

In my experience, all 3 have suffered live customer service issues when I call, due to the pandemic.

Vanguard told me before I chose them that they run a lean operation, without the overhead of a 24x7 operation and the brick & mortar branches. I lowered my expectations.

The Fidelity rep I was transferred to was trying to convince me the branch in town was a consideration to not move the 401k. I replied that I’d been there, and the rep never followed up with me. He said “ I guess that doesn’t help my case” sheepishly.

I’ve been with Schwab since 1983 and like them.

I was forced to use Fidelity by my employer, and like the fact that they offer no fee HSA account. For my 401k choices determined by my employer, there are not enough options.

I like Vanguard’s philosophy, costs, value, and that it is owned by the customer. I accept the minor shortcomings from Schwab. They are not for active traders, and have followed up on every item we’ve discussed.

Back
Top Bottom