Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Think carefully about protecting your retirement by exercising the options in a timely, planned manner.

I was fortunate to have options that had significant value. I was slowly exercising them until I had two pieces of advice. The first was from a colleague in another firm who claimed he had lost out on about $1.5M of gain because he did not exercise. Stock price went down, options expired.

The other advice was from our financial advisor who commented that my employment, pension, and options were all tied to one company. We followed his advice and began to aggressively exercise the options. The top exercise price was $54. Within about nine months the stock was trading at $15-20.

I was fortunate. Several of my colleagues were holding out for the stock to hit $75 on options pegged at $15-30. Some left $1M plus on the table. The old market saying is so true....pigs get slaughtered'.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by felizcortez View Post
We are almost 2 years into our work contract and things are going well. Our net worth has climbed to ~$2.08M (not including any RSU's or NQO's) as of this morning and the stock price on the RSU's and options has gone up from ~$58 to over $100 since authoring the original post.

We still plan to go sailing, but will be likely quitting my job in the January 2019 time frame. This will enable us to capture the large equity slug that vests in October and collect a bonus at the end of the year.

We've spent the last two years getting more familiar with the boat and taking trips around the area we live. It's been an eventful year and we've learned a ton about boat maintenance/ownership. It has definitely had it's ups and downs with regards to expenses and the learning curve. I'm glad we didn't pull the trigger 2 years ago as I feel much more comfortable with our financial position and believe this gives us many more options in the future.

Tell us about the boat?
thepalmersinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:00 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalmersinking View Post
Tell us about the boat?
The boat is a 1980 Tartan 37 Sailboat. We have been working on outfitting the boat and have been doing mostly day sailing and a few longer weekend type trips to Catalina Island. The Catalina Island trips have been overnight sailing to either Avalon Harbor or Two Harbors. Staying for a few days then heading back to our home port. A good way to shake down what works and what doesn't on the boat.

I built a navigation system out of a Raspberry Pi running Openplotter/OpenCPN. It's really cool and also receives AIS. Seems to be a great little system.

We've done quite a bit of work to the boat and still need to get a few major projects completed.

Still to do
Windlass to help raise the anchor - right now it's powered by my back.
Solar Panels - Charge the house battery bank.

Most of the other items we want to do are nice to have and aren't critical for leaving, but would be significantly easier to accomplish with more time.
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

You all should have a ball. We retired in 2004 in a financial situation similar to yours but at the age of 53. We have spent all we needed to spend, and in dollar terms the balance has doubled. Our boat is a 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34, and for each of the last eleven years we have taken it to the Bahamas for the winter returning to our house in the Tennessee mountains for the summer and fall. Since retirement I have also finished hiking the Appalachian Trail in sections. My wife keeps a blog of our boat travels. You can find its address by clicking on my name to the left then 'About Me'.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
You all should have a ball. We retired in 2004 in a financial situation similar to yours but at the age of 53. We have spent all we needed to spend, and in dollar terms the balance has doubled. Our boat is a 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34, and for each of the last eleven years we have taken it to the Bahamas for the winter returning to our house in the Tennessee mountains for the summer and fall. Since retirement I have also finished hiking the Appalachian Trail in sections. My wife keeps a blog of our boat travels. You can find its address by clicking on my name to the left then 'About Me'.

Bill
Sounds like you are having a great time . I'll check out the blog.

Are you spending the entire cruising season on the boat when you go to the Bahamas? Any particular boat items you'd recommend for the trip? e.g. one thing we love is the aquabot waterbottle sprayer. I thought it was gimmicky, but it works great to conserve fresh water.

Awesome job on the AT. I've been doing some backpacking and am section hiking the JMT right now. Did a chunk last year and will do another chunk this year.
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

We have our kids and grandkids at our house for a week or so after Christmas, race a
Tanzer 22 on a mountain lake on New Year's Day, put up the Christmas stuff, drive to the North Carolina coast, move onto the boat, and head to the Bahamas arriving in maybe late February. We stay aboard until we return in June.

Helpful stuff... dry boat, flush toilet, propane stove (40 lb gas), reliable refrigeration, big anchor, electric anchor windlass, anchor wash down pump, reliable dinghy, tools, spare parts... you know the list. Among the odd things is a 1 gal orchard sprayer with its hose and nozzle replaced with a home kitchen sink rinsing nozzle and hose. Since adding that we have seldom used the shower in the head.

When we first started this, you do not know how many older couples told us over a drink on the beach that we were doing the right thing going earlier while we were younger. As it turns out they were right. We have no regrets.

A long time ago when this forum was young there was Dory36. I read everything he posted.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote