Votes: 107 33.9%
  • Down -11% to -20%

Votes: 155 49.1%
  • Down -21% to -30%

Votes: 50 15.8%
  • Down -31% or higher

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
No stocks or bonds, 5 yr CD's averaging 3.25%.
30+ yrs in the market was enough for me.
Found out I didn't mind at all missing out on big gains.
But had trouble with losses. Different strokes.
Am laughed at during normal times. Found out I dont mind that either.
When things are normal, will hear again how inflation will be the ruin of me.

Last edited:
Better than I expected, down just under 13%. Moved some to cash before the biggest down days, and my bond ETFs performed well enough. Was 50s/20c/30b, now 32s, 49c, 19b. Retired. Picking up some stocks I like in the dips, not planning to lower my stock percentage.

Down about 10%. I redid my asset allocation in the fall to 50/50.

Down 17%; was 70% in equites before the Stuff hit the fan. I knew that was aggressive and was working to gradually decrease that but the market took care of that for me.:blush:

In down markets I track the values monthly and try not to stress about the changes in the meantime, although I do watch the overall indices. I've been through bad markets before and the good stuff recovers. Long-term models show that my withdrawals are sustainable even with the occasional bear market "correction".

I calculate my net worth monthly and just got done updating for EOM March. From my high water mark Dec 31, I am down 22% today. Not as bad as I expected I might be. Other than a little bit of cash (~5%), I'm 100% equities -almost all indexed. Actual investment returns would put me a bit lower as I have been continuing to save a fair portion of my income.

Looking at the short term is painful but looking at the longer chart of my NW it is a nice pretty exponential curve even with the current turmoil caused by the other exponential curve the news keeps showing. I guess my portfolio has gone viral!

I calculate my net worth monthly and just got done updating for EOM March. From my high water mark Dec 31, I am down 22% today. Not as bad as I expected I might be. Other than a little bit of cash (~5%), I'm 100% equities -almost all indexed. Actual investment returns would put me a bit lower as I have been continuing to save a fair portion of my income.

Looking at the short term is painful but looking at the longer chart of my NW it is a nice pretty exponential curve even with the current turmoil caused by the other exponential curve the news keeps showing. I guess my portfolio has gone viral!

Nice rally last week. Thinking about taking some off the table with your retirement pending this year?

Valuations today are where they were in December 2018. Do you think we had a better economic outlook for the next year or two in December 2018 or April 2020?

Down 13% ytd on liquid investments. I figure both main home and investment property are completely unmovable at any price for a while so this isn’t a true “net worth” calculation. Our expenses are at 3.3% of liquid assets - I will take that ratio.

No stocks or bonds, 5 yr CD's averaging 3.25%.
30+ yrs in the market was enough for me.
Found out I didn't mind at all missing out on big gains.
But had trouble with losses. Different strokes.
Am laughed at during normal times. Found out I dont mind that either.
When things are normal, will hear again how inflation will be the ruin of me.
Yeah, I get that. DW and I (more DW) lost our nerve for the stock markets back in late 2017, early 2018. Got out before things got ugly late 2008/early 2009. Took several years (early 2017) before our bond and TIPS funds and cash lagged what a 60/40 portfolio would have during that time. Started falling behind the last three years until last month. Now, I think we're close again.

Up 0.83% YTD (down 0.22% for March 2020). Similar to your 3.25% CDs for the year. Performance would be better if it weren't for DODIX in my wife's 401(k) account (really need to move it to an IRA). Just like in mid 2008, DODIX is getting whacked again.

Last edited:
Nice rally last week. Thinking about taking some off the table with your retirement pending this year?

Valuations today are where they were in December 2018. Do you think we had a better economic outlook for the next year or two in December 2018 or April 2020?

No, I'm actually going longer.. as I've already made the decision to delay till the end of the year to see how 2020 shakes out, I've bumped my TSP contributions to max out (was just getting the match as I built cash to fund my first 12-20 months). I also picked up some more shares of TJX (one of the few individual stocks I own) when it was down with a bit of my free cash. I'm still building some cash reserves but have all year to save the same amount so the rest is going into the market. Even if I was inclined to reallocate, I am still sitting on CG I would realize in my taxable account so I'd be locking in this decline plus paying taxes to pour salt on the wound! TSP is longer term so I have no need to be more conservative with it - even when I decide to start SEPP withdrawals the amount will be very low as a % of the balance as I'm still in my 40s and will use life expectancy so my SEPP income increases as I age/portfolio grows.

I am more optimistic now as I thought the market was pretty frothy. Really comes down to how the economy behaves as people are allowed to live again... until we see the impact it is hard to say if stocks are more conservatively priced. I'm hopefully optimistic that people will get back to work and spending when they can and that there will be some pent up demand from being stuck at home to act as a bit of a surge to get things going!

About 75% of my holdings are in two managed portfolios at Fidelity. I had a long talk with my advisor yesterday. He stated that they have been gradually reducing stock exposure by about 10% starting in mid 2019 as they saw an end cycle correction coming. This somewhat softened the blow when the market took a crap in February. This week I saw a slew of trade confirmations come through which he said is a move to re-balance portfolios which are buying up some bargains and take the opportunity to position the portfolios for gains when the market eventually recovers.

About 75% of my holdings are in two managed portfolios at Fidelity. I had a long talk with my advisor yesterday. He stated that they have been gradually reducing stock exposure by about 10% starting in mid 2019 as they saw an end cycle correction coming.
Have you fact-checked what he said about "gradually reducing stock exposure"? Did he miss that great run-up in last half of 2019?

I'll state it bluntly, the run-up since the start of the last half of 2019 was more than 15% total return, so that softened the blow, too. As reported by folks in this thread, many have not lost 15% yet.

My point is that sales reps are pretty good at mind games.

Last edited:
Down about 8% as of this morning YTD - 10% all time high (Feb 14 or so).

Selling today and remaining out 10/90 stocks/cash until the day the US claims the curve is flattened. Going to take some of the gains over last few days and get back out.
Have some stop losses in today which will likely get met with the futures down 3-4%.

My opinion is we are not going to get a significant sustainable rally until we get some good news. Not day to day good news but very good news such as a flat curve with some hopeful science that this is on it's way out and not likely to come back to any significant degree in the near future. I think that is not any time soon (month or more). JMO.

Once I get back in changing allocation permanently to about 30-70. A bit sick and tired of this. I need to get better educated on individual bond investing (funds seem vulnerable).

Any good threads on individual bond investing?

Down 9.65% in retirement accounts and 8.2% overall (YTD).

Down 8% YTD for the first quarter, down about 10% from my peak. Currently at 30/46/24.

We're down 17% YTD, but had a gain of over 31% last year on our IRA, which is all stocks and mutual funds, and no bonds. Our rentals continue to bring a healthy monthly return and only one of our tenants will be unable to pay their full rent for April because he was laid off by the restaurant where he cooks. But his wife is still working. They wanted to pay half, so we're forgiving the rest for April. We'll work with all our tenants on individual terms as we move through this crisis. We sold some Google stock in early February--not at the peak of over $1500 a share--but much higher than the current $1118. So no cash flow worries at present.

If we were still working, we'd be considering the stock market a buying opportunity.

I really don't know yet. We were in the process of rolling everything over to Fidelity from Wells Fargo and Prudential and we finished that up yesterday. We will be able to see our accounts in 2-3 days according to our advisor. We were down from approx. 600k end of Feb. to 500k that went in to Fido. DW keeps asking if I'm sure we will be ok. I don't know but I just hope. He is going to have us both in a 50/50 allocation. We will see.

I'll state it bluntly, the run-up since the start of the last half of 2019 was more than 15% total return, so that softened the blow, too. As reported by folks in this thread, many have not lost 15% yet.

I was up about 10% TR in that period with a balanced mix (55-60% stocks).

Down 24% YTD. This downturn finally gave me the opportunity to tax harvest and get out of a bunch of individual stocks I wanted out of for awhile in my taxable account, so going forward I will be much better allocated. Also took my taxable/tax free from 70/30 to 60/40, so it was a hit but feeling good about the long term.

Stocks down about 25%.

Overall net worth hard to say, but guessing about 6% overall down from high water mark.

Although that includes additional income / contributions since the high water mark, so I'm probably down a bit more since then.

Last edited:

I just checked, and that was the case for me. It feels a lot better to know that I am only down 3.3% since July 1st.

It was fun watching that run-up, until it started dropping instead.

Back
Top Bottom