Votes: 155 49.1%
  • Down -21% to -30%

Votes: 50 15.8%
  • Down -31% or higher

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters

ESRwannabe

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just curious how other people are doing. I just did some calculations and I am pleased with how I have done so far. I have 100% stock portfolio (this is just looking at my taxable account). I did some trading around the last few weeks and was able to improve my position.

On a YTD basis I am down -19.74%.

If I had just stuck with the assets I had going into the down turn and not done any trading I would be down -27.47%.

As a comparison the Vanguard Total World Stock Index is down -23.42% YTD.

I haven't had a chance to add any new money into my investments yet. I've been setting excess money aside to pay for 2019 taxes. I'm looking forward to finally being able to add some new money in at the end of this month. If the stock market behaves like it did after 2008, I should be able to contribute a lot of new money in at depressed prices over the next few years.

If the stock market stays low, then I think I will be able to increase my investments enough to FIRE once we come out of this. My taxable account div income is now $29k based on 2019 payouts.

P.S. I have confirmed that I love working from home. This is the first time I have gotten to work from home for more than a day or two in a row. I could see myself continuing to work full time for many years (I'm 43) if employers will lighten up on their micromanagement butts-in-seats mentality and let me continue working from home.

Last edited:
Damage This Year

So far, my overall portfolio is down about 13%. I'm currently 45% Equities/40% Cash/15% Bonds. Normally, I try to maintain 70% Equities/20% Bonds/10% Cash. I tend to maintain higher cash levels than most but I increased this by about 25% at the end of January. The market seemed to be overheating + some news started to circulate about the virus. My 2 favorite ETF's - ITA (US Aerospace) and IPAY (Digital Payments) were absolutely annihilated due primarily to Boeing and sharp reduction in consumer spending, especially travel. These had been so good to me the last ~3 years. I sold off more equities during the run-up this week to add some more cash. I will assess legging in a few % points at a time into mutual funds on any meaningful pullbacks from here and look for opportunities to dollar cost average down on some of my favorite stocks but I'm in no hurry.

The plan is working...

With my AA at 68/32, I am down 16% YTD but was up 20% last year.

Fortunately, I just turned 70 and my first SSA check arrives next month, so we will not have to rely as much on tax deferred accounts to meet day to day expenses. I feel as though we have planned to live within our means and this is just one of those times were we will spend some of that cash and those bonds...I mean, that is why we have them.

We are still planning to do a large Roth conversion at the end of the year to take advantage of the current tax brackets.

Although a bit more stressful, life is still good.

I switched my AA to 40/60 last fall as I was concerned about high valuations and the longevity of the bull market. I then changed to 50/50 on March 20th to buy some stock at recent lows. I'm down about 15% total. I plan to slowly shift even more assets into equities going forward. This bear may last a while, even causing a recession. But I see it as a buying opportunity.

Last edited:
-18.5% ytd

Hard to tell. I only own real estate and cash. The RE market has ground to a halt, so getting meaningful valuations is impossible at the moment.

At the moment my quick calculation says around 10%. Maybe a little less.

Cheers!

Down about 13% YTD but that includes deposits made so far this year. Without those, I'd be down about 17%

Cheers.

Down 14% It helped that I rolled over a 401k from my former employer that was 68% stocks to a 30/70 Fund in February.

I haven't looked since January 31 but with a 50/50 AA I'm estimating around 14% to the bad. With enough cash or cash equivalent for 3 years of spending I have no plan to sell anything.

Just curious how other people are doing. I just did some calculations and I am pleased with how I have done so far. I have 100% stock portfolio (this is just looking at my taxable account). I did some trading around the last few weeks and was able to improve my position.

On a YTD basis I am down -19.74%.

I'm confused, which is nothing unusual. If you are only including your "taxable account" in your numbers that really isn't telling us "what percentage you are down so far."

What is your YTD performance for your total portfolio?

FWIW, I'm at -7.7% YTD, and that number includes all our investable assets.

Probably not as far down as I will be in the coming weeks/months

Sounds like you have a nice gig, and I too hope it continues for you.

Last edited:
I try to maintain a 74/26 allocation and have re-balanced once during this down turn. Currently down -17.91%.

-19% right now, was -22% at the lowest (so far)

Last edited:
I only look at this on a monthly basis. I will run it Wed. morning. Equity AA on 2/29 was 53.6, down from 58 on 12/31.

60/40 portfolio, down 14%

When computing these numbers, people should a) include all accounts and b) exclude YTD contributions, assuming we're trying to compare apples to apples.

I don't know and I don't care. When things calm down I will probably check. Why do something I know will be unpleasant when I know I will be taking no action anyway?

Up, down give or take $60K here and there. Got taxes out of the way! Self employment taxes killing us.

Apologize, I know this sounds flip ^^. I stopped evaluating YTD, day to day and since all time high/low. I'm looking at 3 yr., 5 yr portfolio performance. These fluctuations are so massive from day to day, I just don't see the point.

Last edited:
Down 28% YTD on 100% stock portfolio. Looking forward to quarterly 'excess dividend' purchase next Wednesday. About $15K this time (bigger than normal, got back $$$ for cancelled cruises and airline tickets).

From my peak mid-Feb to my low (so far) last Monday I was down 49%.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom