When you had become self sustained.

When the Army gave me Honorable discharge papers at 21. May 25 1970.

17. Lived on my own my senior year in high school and worked full time to boot. Worked two jobs till I turned 19. Met my DH and married him 2 1/2 weeks later. We decided after being married 2 months we needed a baby. First 7 years were the roughest. I retired at 50 and he retired last year at 57. Life is good. Married 27 years in July 2016. :)

The day I got married, just before med school graduation, when I moved out if my parents' house permanently. I graduated when I was 24.

Borrowed money from a rich relative for med school (better interest rate than the banks in 1980). Lived frugally on that money, with help from mom and dad (their car!)

Anyway, spent about $5000 less than I borrowed, so we paid for our own wedding with some left over. DH worked as a musician in a bar band 4-6 nights a week and also had some odd jobs, on his own as a college drop out 2 years before we married.

We pooled our resources and never looked back. We'd known each other 9 years and dated for 3 years before the wedding, living 500 miles apart that entire time. It will be 32 years next May.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom