Younger retirees... Your game plan?

Indeed. It's inspiring to hear from so many early early retirees on this forum.

And truth be told - when I saw The one-day account balance down by 6 figures today and it wasn't even lunch time ... I had the "aw ****" moment .... and then remember to point into the wind and keep sailing.

This Q is targeted at those FIREd retirees who are 15 or more years out from collection of annuity, social security , and do not have a pension at all coming in today and will not have a sizable pension way out in time.. Ie, You rely on what assets you have right now.

Are you doing anything differently now that the market has corrected? Yes, I changed allocation last year to increase cash as I was concerned the market would make a major correction. However, I also have significant Real Estate and passive business interest with absolutely no debt.
What is your source of living expenses? Wife and I are covering 100% of our budget with income from part-time consulting, passive business and loans so we don’t need to tap the Nest Egg. We figured might as well make some money part-time while we can. Thus, the withdrawal rate on the investable assets is zero. Also, I have my kids college education funds fully funded and very conservatively invested so no current or future drain on the budget. It's nice to give them a debt free start to life.

Are you selling anything. or spending principle (cash) or only living on dividend and interest income. Re-allocated in 2015 and use very little of the dividends.
Any other sources of passive ( you're retired right) income such as real estate or hobby income? Yes, consulting, passive business and loan income.

At what market level from the top do you start to be very concerned about capital preservation in the short run ? Down 10-20-30-50-66 percent etc
I always concerned about capital preservation but when get the cyclical economic correction that causes a 30+% drop in the market coupled with a slowdown in business, etc. that is a double whammy. A recession in the early years of retirement makes it more difficult to generate part-time work income one might want to help offset the loss in capital due to the market correction. So, as indicated above I felt it necessary to lighten up until I see the volatility normalize.

What's your asset allocation ? On a total NW basis, I am 20% Equities, 15% Bonds, 30% Cash and 35% real estate.

How many years of "cash" do you need to feel secure - for living expenses
Notwithstanding the above asset allocation, I keep 2 years of living expenses in cash in case things get tight. Probably overkill but, I have lived thru a couple recessions and I like having solid liquidity when the **** hits the fan. There will still be some income from dividends, passive business and loans, so two years really extends to more like 4 to 5 years and would get me thru the correction. Also, I have my kids college education funds fully funded and very conservatively invested so no current or future drain on the budget. Again, it’s niice to give them a debt free start to life.
Do u have dry powder to throw at the market if so what percent of portfolio ? 30% or more if I were to sell some bond holdings in favor of stocks.

We're 46 and 45 and have been retired for roughly 3.5 years.

Are you doing anything differently now that the market has corrected?

- No, we are not changing anything investment or lifestyle wise.

What is your source of living expenses?

- We live off cash in our portfolio + income from PT consulting.

Are you selling anything. or spending principle (cash) or only living on dividend and interest income.

- No.

Any other sources of passive ( you're retired right) income such as real estate or hobby income?

- PT consulting covers about 20% of our spending.

At what market level from the top do you start to be very concerned about capital preservation in the short run ? Down 10-20-30-50-66 percent etc

- I'll be concerned at 30% but will be rebalancing on the way down!

What's your asset allocation ?

We're at 45/50/5 but right now the bonds have a very high short term allocation.

- Actual cash is about 2 years

Do u have dry powder to throw at the market if so what percent of portfolio ?

Yes, we have a lot in short term bonds that we would move to equities if the correction gets worse.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Here is some advice for you youngsters.

CZLoErDUkAEuVGl.png

This Q is targeted at those FIREd retirees who are 15 or more years out from collection of annuity, social security , and do not have a pension at all coming in today and will not have a sizable pension way out in time.. Ie, You rely on what assets you have right now.

Are you doing anything differently now that the market has corrected?

What is your source of living expenses?

Are you selling anything. or spending principle (cash) or only living on dividend and interest income.

Any other sources of passive ( you're retired right) income such as real estate or hobby income?

What's your asset allocation ?

Do u have dry powder to throw at the market if so what percent of portfolio ?

Retiring April 1st from full time work. I'm 55. I agreed to work at megacorp for 6 months part time afterward for what they call "the orderly transition of knowledge". lol translation, I'm training my replacement.

1) no, not doing anything different.
2) I have a taxable account that I will live off of. I can actually start taking my pension without penalty in 4 years.
3) no I'm not selling anything. I padded my taxable account but yes I'll be drawing from principle there.
4) Yes I will probably have passive income. I'm simply not the stay at home type. I'm a chemist so if anything I can join a temp agency and work temp jobs. I'm also taking some classes at Temple U to see what I want to be when I grow up. ;)
5) I kind of do the "bucket" system. I have a bucket of assets that I have for long term. that AA is 65% stocks, 35% bonds and other stuff. I also have an annuity that I will turn on at 60. My immediate need buckets is more conservative at 50/50
6) I like having 3 years of living expenses in the bank.

Back
Top Bottom