AARP Tax Aides Volunteer

lem1955

Recycles dryer sheets
I signed up to volunteer as an AARP Tax Aide. I thought it would be simple since I've been doing my own taxes and simpler tax returns for family members for a long time. But it only took one meeting with our district coordinator and a pile of study books to show me I was mistaken. I realized that many seniors and other taxpayers who make use of this service live lives that are vastly different than mine, so even establishing filing status can require a flow chart. I'm looking forward to doing some direct service work in my community. I've served on boards of non-profits since the mid-1980's but that didn't expose me to people less fortunate than me. Is anyone else on this forum serving in a similar capacity? Do you have any pointers, observations or insights to share with me?

I signed up this year. It looks like they want you to go to about 40 hours of training. First class is January 3rd. Will see what that reveals. Interested to see what others have seen.

I was a volunteer the first year after retiring and would unfortunately describe it as a disappointing and unpleasant experience. That had nothing to do with the customers/clientele, it was due to the individuals (husband and wife) who were the lead volunteers and trainers. It became clear during the training that they were ex-Gestapo members with little interest in or appreciation for any volunteers other than those who were members of their clique.

I stuck it out throughout tax season but didn't return the following year.

I have been invited to join a local (CCRC based) group that prepares taxes via AARP software. After reading the above posts, I don't believe that I am interested any more. Thanks for all of the info.

Find a local tax cpa. They always need a hand. Work a deal to your satisfaction.

Last edited:
My first year as an AARP tax aid was last year. I thought the preparation material was very good. Your experience will depend greatly on your local coordinator - I worked with two and the one who was organized and available was fantastic.

Returning volunteers only have about 16 hours of training. I am doing that next week.

I was a volunteer the first year after retiring and would unfortunately describe it as a disappointing and unpleasant experience. That had nothing to do with the customers/clientele, it was due to the individuals (husband and wife) who were the lead volunteers and trainers. It became clear during the training that they were ex-Gestapo members with little interest in or appreciation for any volunteers other than those who were members of their clique.

I stuck it out throughout tax season but didn't return the following year.

I tried twice and was not impressed either time, at either location, with the quality of the trainers or the noisy, inattentive volunteers, so I never came back after the first session at either location.

I’ve been a volunteer tax preparer for AARP for the last 3 years. I find it very rewarding as most of the clientele are low income seniors. Most clients are extremely thankful. Passing the annual certification test is not easy the first time, but it gets easier with experience. I would highly recommend trying it. I’m amazed at how people can survive on very low incomes. Jmho

I recently got an email from the coordinator for my town following my filling out an expression of interest form on the IRS web site. In that email she said that the formal training had already been conducted (in November) but that there are self-study materials available. I've not yet made phone contact with her but hope to soon. I feel like I'm fairly conversant with taxes although I'm not a CPA or anything like that. I'd been hoping to take the week of training.

I’ve been a volunteer tax preparer for AARP for the last 3 years. I find it very rewarding as most of the clientele are low income seniors. Most clients are extremely thankful. Passing the annual certification test is not easy the first time, but it gets easier with experience. I would highly recommend trying it. I’m amazed at how people can survive on very low incomes. Jmho

This reflects my opinion when I did it. The only client that annoyed me was a retired professor of engineering with a substantial portfolio with lots of cap gains and dividends so time consuming. Every morning we had a long line of deserving low income clients waiting for the library doors to open. He was in our system so a regular who took advantage of a free tax preparation service intended for low income folks.

Even though it was an affluent area I lived in I was amazed at the number of very low income folks that we processed.

Based on this thread I looked into it at the AARP website, but the nearest place looking for volunteers was over 200 miles away. Strange.

I have been doing it for six years. Unlike Renwahoo, I had excellent site leadership and a positive experience.

If you enjoy doing your own taxes (and perhaps finding all the loopholes that ER's can benefit from) AND you like dealing with the public face-to-face, then I would encourage you to try to the program.

The first year will be the toughest in that you don't know how hard it will be to pass the tests and you don't know how you will react in the hot seat with a tax payer in front of you.

I did a significant amount of study. The AARP slides are quite good to supplement the IRS training material.

I find that it keeps me sharp on the taxes and is a good way to give back to the community. The vast majority of taxpayers that you will see will be very grateful to you.

Hints: 1) study up front, practice with the software all the common types of returns (ie social security, 1099-R (pensions/401ks and IRAs), 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B (aka brokerage statements). 2) Study the AARP scope manual -- it defines what type of returns you will be allowed to do and which one will need to be referred to a paid preparer. 3) Obtain the AARP marked up versions of Pub 4012 and Pub 4491. 4) Review the AARP training slides - they will answer many of your questions. 5) Locate the AARP trifold document for determining filing status and dependency / qualification for credits.

There are also many opportunities in the program for roles beyond the tax preparer. Training / Tech / Leadership to name a few areas that are present at every site.

-gauss

I did this for one year with a great group of volunteers at a VITA program in my town. The actual tax person in our site was fantastic. The clients were very appreciative. Once tax season starts, it got busy but I knew that going in. All good.

The formal training was not good. A lot of folks that used our services were filing in hopes of getting a tax refund that would make a really big difference in their lives. I am sure that I was "good enough" and helped folks do something they needed to do but probably couldn't by themselves, but I often felt ill-prepared on the tax issues.

My life changed a bit and I couldn't make the time commitment to return during tax season. I am sure that it would have been easier after the first year but I often thought that the clients deserved more than a bunch of well meaning but under trained people like me!
br

^^ All returns are checked by at least one other person in order to catch any errors made.

With 2 checks, I believe that the program's accuracy rate is in the mid-90% range or so.

-gauss

My first year as an AARP tax aid was last year. I thought the preparation material was very good. Your experience will depend greatly on your local coordinator - I worked with two and the one who was organized and available was fantastic.

Returning volunteers only have about 16 hours of training. I am doing that next week.

It may depend on where you live. In my area, new volunteers and returning volunteers are required to do 40 hours of training.

I have been doing it for six years. Unlike Renwahoo, I had excellent site leadership and a positive experience.

If you enjoy doing your own taxes (and perhaps finding all the loopholes that ER's can benefit from) AND you like dealing with the public face-to-face, then I would encourage you to try to the program.

The first year will be the toughest in that you don't know how hard it will be to pass the tests and you don't know how you will react in the hot seat with a tax payer in front of you.

I did a significant amount of study. The AARP slides are quite good to supplement the IRS training material.

I find that it keeps me sharp on the taxes and is a good way to give back to the community. The vast majority of taxpayers that you will see will be very grateful to you.

Hints: 1) study up front, practice with the software all the common types of returns (ie social security, 1099-R (pensions/401ks and IRAs), 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B (aka brokerage statements). 2) Study the AARP scope manual -- it defines what type of returns you will be allowed to do and which one will need to be referred to a paid preparer. 3) Obtain the AARP marked up versions of Pub 4012 and Pub 4491. 4) Review the AARP training slides - they will answer many of your questions. 5) Locate the AARP trifold document for determining filing status and dependency / qualification for credits.

There are also many opportunities in the program for roles beyond the tax preparer. Training / Tech / Leadership to name a few areas that are present at every site.

-gauss

Thanks, @gauss, this was very helpful, especially the hints paragraph.

I'm a first year volunteer preparer. I think I'll be OK, but the training so far has not been great. Mostly the instructor isn't a good teacher. Nice guy, smart about taxes, but just has challenges conveying things.

+1
I would also recommend it. The first year you have to go through more courses, but after that it is fewer sessions.

I did it for a number of years, and enjoyed it. The gratitude of the people, especially seniors, made me feel good.
What has happened with the new tax law with the increased standard deduction, many fewer people have to even file. I got that info from a neighbor who still volunteers.

After I retired I did tax prep for H&R Block for five years and then worked for VITA as a site co-ordinator for two years. Yes, it was rewarding but became too much like a job and yes, everyone's tax situation is unique. I figure after seven plus years and two grand worth of tax returns not counting amendments and prior year returns, I had enough. Met some fine folks and some not so fine but all in all a very positive experience.

I did my own tax prep for about 40 years and hated all the time spent going through the instructions and calculations. It was not a fun experience for me and would get really frustrated with wasting time on some of the calculations only to find they were inconsequential to my taxes.

About 10 years ago I started going to the local library a mile away to try out the free AARP tax prep. So far they have been great. It's just standard deduction with income from SS, a few small pensions, RMD, dividends and capital gains. Usually have losses that have been carried over. It is pretty simple with the computer programs. I am always well prepared for them with all my paperwork organized. It has been so nice to have someone with more knowledge than I go over the numbers with me and have copies for my files to save. I could get one of the computer programs each year but why would I need that extra (albiet small) expense and spend the time when I get it done for free? Besides I am not as sharp as I used to be and not too proud to accept a little hand holding.

So a big THANK YOU to all of you that volunteer with AARP. You are very generous to offer your time to help so many others.

Cheers!

TY 2019 will be my fourth year as a tax aide, my third year as an instructor, and my first year as the district Training Coordinator.

If your local training is bad it is likely because of the district leadership. The IRS and AARP Tax Foundation requirements are to pass three exams (two on ethics and procedures, one on tax return prep) and to be trained on Policies and Procedures. That’s it— no minimum classroom time.

Beyond those requirements, your state or district leadership may add training requirements. (Actually, now that I think about it I’m not sure if the Policies and Procedures training requirement comes from National or State). For example, our state leadership has directed that each counselor successfully complete at least four practice returns to be selected from a list of seven.

Next, the Training Coordinator works with the District Coordinator to develop the District training requirements. In our case, we haven’t added any requirements. I have a team of instructors and we are offering two multi-day training sessions in January. Attendance is optional but most will attend.

I agree with the others that noted how grateful most of the clients are. I’ve had some almost cry when they realize we don’t charge anything.

Your individual experience will depend on your site and local coordinator. I was lucky that I was “assigned” to a very busy site with an energetic LC. We work hard but have a lot of fun.

I’ll put a plug in for another volunteer option: if you want to help, like talking to people but aren’t sure you want to learn the tax stuff, you can volunteer to be a Client Facilitator. They are the people that greet the clients and help them fill out paperwork before someone else starts the tax return.

For the last 9 years or so I have gone to my local AARP Tax Aide site to have my taxes filed. I have always found the volunteers there to be an impressive and professional bunch who are very careful. Any questions that arise are tossed out to the group and looked up in several reference materials. They have 2 people cross-check the finished return for any errors. The same very sharp lady who seems to be in charge is there year after year. She remembers regular clients by name.

I do live in an upscale neighborhood and perhaps what I perceive as a high degree of competence is a reflection of that, or maybe I am just easily impressed! LOL. Whatever the case, I am well satisfied, and yes, very grateful for this service. Of course, I am sure the government is too. :rolleyes:

I have had a couple of retired friends do it and really like it. However, the training is no joke. To do it right you will put in substantial hours. The deserving clients will be significantly more than the one or two wealthy ones who try to get free services (aka: total scum bags). I look forward to doing this in a few years!

What's your liability as the preparer in these situations? What if you mess up and the taxpayer ends up owing a penalty? Do you pay it?

What's your liability as the preparer in these situations? What if you mess up and the taxpayer ends up owing a penalty? Do you pay it?

My understanding is as long as the return is within scope (which means that we have been trained on the subject area and have the appropriate reference resources) then we are covered from liability by a federal law known as the Volunteer Protection Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volunteer_Protection_Act

The scope of the program is surprisingly broad and includes things that I did not expect to be included, but does thankfully exclude some sections of things like MFS filing status and farms.

If a volunteer prepares a return which is out of scope and the taxpayer ends up with a problem, then the preparer could face civil liability, I assume under regular tort law and the concepts of negligence and harm.

Back
Top Bottom