After The FIRE

justin said:
..... After the donation we have received a lot of solicitations for more donations, although they seemed to have tapered off a lot since then.

Thats what I hate about giving to organizations. I give when I can, but the constant phonecall badgering and junk mail drives me nuts. Wish there was away just to be able to donate and not be on someones "hot list", for more donations.

Christopher

Chris24 said:
Thats what I hate about giving to organizations. I give when I can, but the constant phonecall badgering and junk mail drives me nuts. Wish there was away just to be able to donate and not be on someones "hot list", for more donations.

Christopher

I have been moving to much smaller organizations and fewer in number. Instead of using the shotgun approach and tossing contributions to several causes, DW and I are focusing on local ones and much fewer in number. That slows down the flow of unwanted address labels, calendars and key rings I used to get all the time. Some never stop bugging you despite just getting a check from you. I don't contribute to them any longer and I hope they will give up someday. How do you stop all the junk mail?

SteveR said:
I don't contribute to them any longer and I hope they will give up someday.  How do you stop all the junk mail?
I don't know--maybe just call and ask them to stop sending you stuff and remind them they're wasting their money?

Regarding avoiding getting on lists, maybe one could use cashier's checks to make donations anonymously?  I think one's name and address are not printed on those but I can't remember for sure.  Of course, it's more hassle to go to one's bank or credit union to get them, but maybe it's worth a try.

Edited because I didn't originally answer the quoted question...

I have had good success with including a note with my donation saying please do not put me on your mailing list.

Another thing that works with those organizations that keep sending you requests is a nice note to the effect of "Stop sending me requests please because the money you spend on it could be better spent on your primary purpose."

Back
Top Bottom