America Has Never Had So Many 65-Year-Olds - article

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
America Has Never Had So Many 65-Year-Olds. They’re Redefining the Milestone.
https://www.wsj.com/health/america-...olds-theyre-redefining-the-milestone-4383e769

4.1 million Americans are turning 65 this year, the highest ever. This is rather interesting, because I’m one of them.

2024 won’t be the record - the peak is expected to occur in 2025 when almost 4.2 million Americans turn 65. Then it gradually drops.
About 4.1 million Americans will reach 65 years old this year, reaching a surge that will continue through 2027, according to an analysis by Jason Fichtner, executive director of the Retirement Income Institute and chief economist at the Bipartisan Policy Center. That is about 11,200 a day, compared with the 10,000 daily average from the previous decade, he says.*

This WSJ story is available to read on Apple News. Maybe someone knows how to provide a free direct link.

Interesting. According to this document from the census bureau, the peak birth year in the baby boom was 1957:

https://www.census.gov/history/pdf/babyboomers-boc-2014.pdf

Births continued to increase through the rest of the 1940s and into the 1950s, reaching a peak of 4.3 million in 1957.
One might assume that 2022 would be the peak year for people turning 65. 2024 being the peak year might mean there is a higher survival rate of folks born in 1959 as compared to 1957. Or, it might mean more folks who immigrated to the U.S. were born in 1959 as compared to 1957. Or something else, it is getting too late for me to think straight :).

Last edited:
Higher rate even for folks born in 1960 as 2025 will have the highest number turn 65.

I'm one of them also.

Interesting. According to this document from the census bureau, the peak birth year in the baby boom was 1957:

One might assume that 2022 would be the peak year for people turning 65. 2024 being the peak year might mean there is a higher survival rate of folks born in 1959 as compared to 1957. Or, it might mean more folks who immigrated to the U.S. were born in 1959 as compared to 1957. Or something else, it is getting too late for me to think straight :).

Interesting. Thanks for the 1957 info.

I like the practical analysis! It's likely a lot of little factors... perhaps even the record keeping has had some disparity or flaws causing the delta. Leap Year? That might change it a little ?? hehehe I'm telling you Jolly, we need to greenlight the Jolly Podcast very, very soon.

Higher rate even for folks born in 1960 as 2025 will have the highest number turn 65.

I am a 1960 baby and amongst my co-workers and former co-workers, it was the most common birth year by a wide margin. It always seemed very strange to us that the number of people born in 1959 or 1961 seemed to be about half of the 1960 babies, while statistically they should have been very close. We all somehow gravitated to the same line of work.

Something in the water that year, for certain. I even had a co-worker who was born on the same day as I, just a few hours apart.

I would be very curious to know what specific day or week is the peak. I was a Valentine's baby, born in mid-November, and there seem to be legions of us!

I am a 1960 baby and amongst my co-workers and former co-workers, it was the most common birth year by a wide margin. It always seemed very strange to us that the number of people born in 1959 or 1961 seemed to be about half of the 1960 babies, while statistically they should have been very close. We all somehow gravitated to the same line of work.

Something in the water that year, for certain. I even had a co-worker who was born on the same day as I, just a few hours apart.

I would be very curious to know what specific day or week is the peak. I was a Valentine's baby, born in mid-November, and there seem to be legions of us!

1960 baby too, born in Feb.

I'm so curious what this is going to mean for the housing market. We still have a dream of buying some day, but it's looking less likely by the minute. I almost bought before the pandemic, and am really sorry I didn't.

Seems like a lot of people will want to downsize. Will that mean the Millennials moving into those larger homes? I don't know how that will be affordable...maybe everyone will just stay put?

I'm so curious what this is going to mean for the housing market. We still have a dream of buying some day, but it's looking less likely by the minute. I almost bought before the pandemic, and am really sorry I didn't.

Seems like a lot of people will want to downsize. Will that mean the Millennials moving into those larger homes? I don't know how that will be affordable...maybe everyone will just stay put?

Aaah yes, but if that happens, it will bring the value of all houses down, including the smaller houses.

That's an if, of course, as we have no idea what will happen with housing prices - or anything, really!

I'm glad I don't have to go through being 65 again. I was so immature at that age.:D

I occasionally think that it would be nice to have the same verve, passion, and general fresh outlook on the world that I did when in my 20's. I guess that what I miss is what you might call the "flowering of the self" - that period when everything is new, exciting, and wonderful. With it though, would most likely also come the immaturity.

Passionate, engaged 65 year-olds are wonderful, but passionate, engaged, and immature ones? I've seen a few of those and it ain't pretty! :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom