Being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century ( Uber and Lyft)

Would you like to see a thread on using Uber and Lyft without a smartphone ?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Don't care , I have a Chauffeur

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I swore I would never use them, but cab service continues to deteriorate.Lucky to get a cab pickup in 30 minutes. Uber and Lyft, usually 5 minutes.

Used UBER 2 weeks ago , and Lyft 3 times. Even with large tip, cheaper than the cabs.

Both off PC browser ( no smartphone) Rates about the same, and the winner is: Lyft

Last edited:
I usually check both as sometimes one is better and sometimes the other. Almost always cheaper than cabs. I can't imagine cabs will be around in 10 years.

I have only started using Lyft a short time ago, but I am very happy with them. I have used them in Ventura, Santa Barbara, and Lake Havasu. I think their app is better than Uber.
We will be in Hawaii in November, and I found them on the island of Maui.

Lyft all the way! (But I do feel bad for the taxi medallion owners who paid $100,000+ not that long ago.)

I think they will have to eventually raise rates as I don't think the model is sustainable financially long term. Fine for now though.

I swore I would never use them, but cab service continues to deteriorate.Lucky to get a cab pickup in 30 minutes. Uber and Lyft, usually 5 minutes.

Used UBER 2 weeks ago , and Lyft 3 times. Even with large tip, cheaper than the cabs.

Both off PC browser ( no smartphone) Rates about the same, and the winner is: Lyft

I tried to use Uber earlier this week but could not complete verification of my mobile phone. Never received the texted code that they kept sending. I started the process with my browser and would have preferred to not use the smartphone at all but thought it was required. Spent 2-3 days trying to complete verification and then gave up.

I usually check both as sometimes one is better and sometimes the other. Almost always cheaper than cabs. I can't imagine cabs will be around in 10 years.

+1 especially at the airports.

We've used both Lyft and Uber and are very satisfied with the service from both. Very efficient way of getting around... and reasonably priced. The Uber app occasionally has GPS issues (inaccurate location) which I've never seen with Lyft.

We recently ended a cruise in San Diego and decided to stay for 4 days. In the past we probably would have rented a car. Total waste (rental fee, parking fees, hassle of pick-up/drop-off, driving in unknown areas, etc). We stayed in the Gaslamp area downtown. We either walked or took Uber/Lyft everywhere. We rarely waited more than a minute for a car. They seem to be swarming everywhere in that area.

I tried to use Uber earlier this week but could not complete verification of my mobile phone. Never received the texted code that they kept sending. I started the process with my browser and would have preferred to not use the smartphone at all but thought it was required. Spent 2-3 days trying to complete verification and then gave up.

I had this issue with Uber because I use a Google Voice number with Hangouts on my mobile phone. Lyft accepted it right away. But with Uber I had to send an email to their support team and within an hour, they had my number verified.

Both UBER and Lyft are kind of awkward using the web browser site for non smartphone customers. After the first time, Lyft seems easier.

I also like on the Lyft receipt the breakdown of the bill, time charge paid to driver , mileage charge paid to driver, and how much of the total went to lift and not the driver.

Another thing I noticed. An auto repair shop provided a free Lyft ride to me, and the business said they prefer using Lyft.

UBER support took 2 days to get a return e-mail . just un-acceptable.

I think they will have to eventually raise rates as I don't think the model is sustainable financially long term. Fine for now though.

That is for sure. Locally in so cal, both are paying drivers close to a dollar a mile on non peak times. In some markets, like Detroit , the rate Uber paid to the drivers was under 50 cents a mile. I hope that has changed. That is just abusive to the drivers in the driver saturated markets.

That is for sure. Locally in so cal, both are paying drivers close to a dollar a mile on non peak times. In some markets, like Detroit , the rate Uber paid to the drivers was under 50 cents a mile. I hope that has changed. That is just abusive to the drivers in the driver saturated markets.
I assume it comes down to supply and demand? What riders will pay and what drivers will/can accept.

We only using them in the big city, but Uber is far better and seemingly cheaper than a cab in Chicago at least. YMMV

Well, thanks to this thread, I just discovered that Uber has a browser option!

I did not know that! I thought it was only an app. Never tried Lyft; love Uber.

I use both but favor Lyft. Most of the Lyft drivers are also Uber drivers but they also favor Lyft except when too many Lyft drivers are on the road. I suspect the services vary somewhat fron city to city so you might have to check out both in a new city. I used Uber in Paris and got good service although I have heard that some EU countries/cities have recently cracked down on Uber services.

It's always nagged at me that I should sign up for these services so I'd have them set up on my phone just in case I ever needed them, or realized it would be a good way to get around in a city I travel to. I had no problem signing up for either.

In the local suburb here, there are 3 types of traditional taxicab companies, several with newer cabs , usually Prius, painted bright colors & multi company co-op dispatch, Black car services, and some low end with very old crown vic cabs. ( The later often does the ride without dropping the flag, for cash only).

On my last cab ride with the traditional set up, I asked the driver about how Uber and Lift has affected him. First, he leases the cab for an 8 hour shift , and said the lease cost has gone down due to drop in demand. He said with fewer cabs and drivers he often nets slightly $ more per shift .

For those of you that fly through Phoenix Sky Harbor, do you use a ride sharing service, a shuttle such as Super Shuttle, or (gasp) public transit? Looks like Lyft is about $20 to Mesa, Super Shuttle is $22. The light rail/bus combo is $4. I tried the light rail bus combination a few times, but ran into too many unsavory folks. Plus, standing around at a bus stop or light rail platform when it's 110 degrees is not appealing.

Last time we needed a ride home from the airport (25 miles) I could not raise Uber on my smartphone (some kind of airport interference with Ting, my service provider) and was forced to take an airport cab. Cost us $80 as opposed to $35 for Uber, which we took to the airport.

I use Uber frequently and love it. Haven’t signed up for Lyft as Uber has thus far been inexpensive and responsive.

Lyft all the way! (But I do feel bad for the taxi medallion owners who paid $100,000+ not that long ago.)

In NYC Lyft/Uber drivers have to have a "T" on their license plates - they pay a similar fee to the city as the NYC taxi medalian fees. For that reason Lyft and Uber are not always cheaper than a taxi in NYC. We used uber from JFK into Manhattan and it was as pricey as a taxi. In part because we were stuck in rush hour traffic. We should have done the airtrain to the subway.

That said - Uber is international - we've used it in Paris, Barcelona, and on domestic trips - all great experiences. I'm heading on a trip to San Francisco in a few weeks and will be using Uber or Lyft to get around.

Even my 91 (turns 92 in 2 weeks) step mom uses Uber to get to her bridge games. :)

My 90 year-old FIL uses Uber and Lyft to get to daily mass now that he doesn't drive - he finds them much more responsive and reliable than a taxi.

On a recent NYC trip, I used Uber, Lyft, and regular taxis as well as the subway. DD says that in crowded areas with lots of taxis (think Times Square area), hailing a cab is easier and often cheapest. In other areas, Uber/Lyft are much quicker than calling a cab.

Used Uber several times in Mexico City and other places in M. Seemed safer than cabs and always worked just fine. Cheap too.

I thought one HAD to have the app for either of these services. That isn't the case? I'm going to have to look into this.

I have a smartphone but I don't "do" apps because I don't like them crawling around in my info. I would love to be able to use one of these services!

Every four or five days DH was receiving an unexpected Uber code in a text. Maybe yours? :LOL:

In NYC Lyft/Uber drivers have to have a "T" on their license plates - they pay a similar fee to the city as the NYC taxi medalian fees. For that reason Lyft and Uber are not always cheaper than a taxi in NYC. . :)

I don't think this is the case. Uber/Lyft drivers pay the TLC rate for plates, which is $ 500-650. This is not the same as the fee for the medallion, which is a separate charge to operate a taxi, which Uber/Lyft drivers are not subject to in NYC.

I don't think this is the case. Uber/Lyft drivers pay the TLC rate for plates, which is $ 500-650. This is not the same as the fee for the medallion, which is a separate charge to operate a taxi, which Uber/Lyft drivers are not subject to in NYC.

Uber and Lyft Drivers need a special permit to pick up at LAX, and of course a fee on each ride. I think the fee gets passed to the customer.

Back
Top Bottom