Uber/Lyft Questions

First a disclosure: my DD is invested in Uber. Because of auto vandalism in San Francisco, she orders an Uber to travel between her Menlo Park and San Francisco offices. She always asks the drivers if the program is working out for them. What she has learned is that drivers choose customers destined for addresses that fit their family needs. For example, they may need to pick up their children at child care or school.

Recently an Uber manager was interviewed by Jim Cramer where the capacity of their software to handle trucking was discussed. That can improve over the road logistics significantly improving the life of truck drivers and saving shippers a lot of $$. The interview was brief likely because Uber is not yet publically traded. In my opinion that may be a bigger profit center for Uber than ride sharing.

From TheStreet:
In his "Off The Tape" segment, Cramer sat down with Lior Ron, head of Uber Freight, the logistics side of Uber, which aims to tackle rising freight costs using technology.

Ron said that while just about every other production cost has declined over the years, freight costs have only risen. Uber aims to fix this by using technology to remove friction. The company's app pairs drivers with loads that need to be moved and allows drivers to book opportunities with just a few taps.

Despite only being in operation for 20 months, Ron said they're already seeing a decline in shipping costs as transportation becomes more efficient. This is especially true for heavier items, like food and water.

Ron added that technology is a great equalizer. He said many minority drivers didn't have access to opportunities in the past, but with Uber Freight, they can instantly be matched with work that needs to be done.

Last edited:
The only time I had a problem was at Hana, at the very tip of Maui, where there was no cell service, but I knew that going in.

Were you expecting them to drive the Road to Hana to pick you up? :LOL:

Were you expecting them to drive the Road to Hana to pick you up? :LOL:
Not at all. I had rented a plane and was going to land at the Hana airport and wanted to go into the town of Hana, but there was no cell service to contact a Lyft or Uber driver in Hana. to get into town.:confused:

"I guess the driver does not know your destination until they pick you up. I was talking with a driver about ending his day close to home. Kinda hard to do that if you don't know to pick up a passenger based on the end point."

A driver told us there is something in the app that allows them to put in a direction of travel that they want to go. So they can take fares as they work themselves closer to home.
My cousin showed me his Uber drive app, and it had something like that. It was all very, very vague.

He did pick ups only in his area that mostly allowed him to stay local for grocery shopping or the like. Every now and then he got surprised and had to go someplace he didn't like, but he dealt with it.

Despite the surge charges, he didn't do the airport. He said it was just too random for his likes. He also didn't do bars since he didn't like driving at that time, and some of the passengers had, uh, issues.

We have used both and like using them. When we have luggage, sometimes we get a small car driver with a full trunk. Lyft has been a better than Uber overall. When you do have lots of luggage, or have a longer ride to the destination, we use the more expensive car option for Uber. We get a nicer car and a better driver. Overall experience is very positive.

I've never used either Lyft or Uber but I do have a nice experience to share.

It's a long story but DH and our daughter-in-law and baby grandson had to go to the Chinese Consulate in New York City. They drove to NJ and stayed with family. Then they took the train into NYC and got off at Penn Station. From there they took an Uber to the Chinese Consulate. DIL has used Uber before but this was DHs first time. They had plenty to deal with - 10 week old baby, stroller, diaper bag, back pack etc.

After they were dropped off at the Chinese Consulate DIL realized she didn't have her phone. Her phone is an essential item so this was a big deal! She used DHs phone to call her phone. The Uber driver picked it up and within a short time drove back to the Chinese Consulate to return the phone. DH and DIL both tipped him generously, in cash.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom