Big Plans for ER and then ...?

In hopes of getting this thread back on the interstate...Can we get a consensus on this cell phone thing that its a distraction? When added to all the other unavoidable distractions from both inside and outside the car, chances for accidents increase.

Bottom line (I hope)... Know when its safer to take the call and when to let the caller leave a message. Can you hear me now?

BUM :p

Bum -

The data says 'no' resoundingly. Accidents have not risen in step with increased cell phone usage. In fact, accidents havent risen significantly at all.

However I think its agreeable that talking on a phone is in fact distracting, the short version of my long winded post above is that its obvious that people will find another distraction to replace the phone in its absence.

Heres a funny sideways opinion...up until a year ago when I got rid of my "unlimited use" cell phone, I dont think I logged more than a total of 10 miles over 5 years when I wasnt on the phone while driving. I tended to pay a little more attention to be truthful. When I wasnt on the phone I was daydreaming and looking around at stuff. So in my case the phone improved my driving concentration. Zero accidents my whole driving life, two moving violations in the last 15 years.

SG - same logic applies to the thought that 'speed kills'. The 'Prarie Dog' approach says that when the national speed limit was raised, road deaths should have increased if speed was a factor. In fact annual road deaths stayed almost the same...but oddly they increased among women and the elderly while dropping among men. An interesting and thoughtful analysis I read postulated that it wasnt that 'speed kills' but that 'disparity in speed kills' along with 'unsafe speed (unfit for conditions) kills'. The postulation went on to suggest that male drivers started driving faster when the speed limits went up, while many women and the elderly did not. The disparity of speed (or to paraphrase, the slower driver) created the problem rather than the speed itself.

This has related to cell phone usage while driving on city streets.

As a daily bicycle commuter, I see drivers violating 2 traffic laws at the same time, the 1st is yapping on their handheld cells and the 2nd is, no longer having a free hand, failing to signal when making a turn.

I think drivers using handheld cell phones on city street can be very dangerous to peds and bicyclists.

I wonder what the statistics would say about those circumstances.

Of course, drivers don't have a monopoly on irresponsibility. I have seen a few stupid (IMHO) bicyclists riding while yapping on cells as well. Peds are notorious for crossing streets during the day oblivious to traffic, some also yapping on cells.

MJ

Statistically most drivers dont use their signals most of the time.

With or without a phone.

Statistically most drivers dont use their signals most of the time.

With or without a phone.

TH, In NY, where I live, most drivers do, that's why I brought it up.

Back when I was working I would talk on the cell, take
notes, read the road map and eat simultaneously
(it's a Type A thing :) ).
No harm done, except that I ruined a few nice silk ties :)

JG

Back when I was working I would talk on the cell, take notes, read the road map and eat simultaneously (it's a Type A thing :) ).
No harm done, except that I ruined a few nice silk ties

Perhap no harm was done because either no one else was on the road with you or everyone else was watch the road and you.
I don't any problem with people taking risks with their lives as long as it doesn't risk the rest of us.
A moving car is no different then a loaded gun. Both need to be used responsibly.

MJ

Hello MJ. I agree with the moving car/ loaded gun
comparison.

As a P.S. to my prior post. Once I had a CB in my car
and was rolling along with a road map spread across
the steering wheel. After I passed a semi, some guy
came on the radio and said "Hey, did you see that
S.O. B. reading the map?" Things are different now
of course, but my DW won't allow any reading material
to be viewable while I am behind the wheel :)

JG

Inattentive driving causes accidents every minute of every day (according to AAA).

For almost 30 years I worked in over-the-road jobs...must be a million miles. How I survived I don't know...tons of near misses.

My most vivid memory was riding, as a rookie, with an associate who was speeding - smoking, guzzling hot coffee from a thermos, reading the map on his lap. When I asked if he brought the customer samples. He said. "In the back, I'll get it." With that he turned to the back seat rummaged around to get the sample. I hollered "look out!" to no avail. In one second we were 100 yards into a fallow farmers field. Under different circumstances, this post could have had a different ending regarding the farmer's daughter. In this case suffice to say she was nice enough to provide coffee and arranged a tow.

Ahhhh sales!

BUM

Yep, it only takes a second. My driving record is good
but I think the most impressive thing is the bazillion
miles I drove through heavy deer populations and never hit one. Several near misses though. Anyway,
inattention is dangerous, no question. Also, if you are in a
car and run off the road, most times it's just embarrassing. On a motorcycle though there's an excellent
chance you'll be dead. I miss it, but it's a dangerous
hobby.

JG

Yup, I was in New Hampshire when I saw my first person on a sport bike, no helmet, talking on a cell phone as he manuvered through traffic.....very scary... :eek:

TH, In NY, where I live, most drivers do, that's why I brought it up.

:eek:
I've driven extensively in New York. Come on. I'm fairly sure that 90% of New York drivers would take more than 30 seconds to identify where their turn signal lever was located in the vehicle. ;)

The code of driving in the northeast is to never signal your intended plan to the other opposing drivers to assure they have no advance warning and attempt to thwart your maneuver. :D

Besides, again we'd see some sort of statistical variance on increased pedestrian and bicycle injuries/deaths in lockstep with increased cell phone adoption. But there isnt any.

My two favorite cell phone stories.

I was in a costco gas station and watched a guy on the next aisle over pull up to the pump, get out and proceed (in defiance of the sign on the pump that says to turn off cell phones while fueling) to make a good 5 minute phone call while standing next to his car without ever putting the pump in it. The guy behind him yelled something unintelligible, whereupon this fine fellow yelled back "up your butt". Ignorant *and* rude. An excellent combination.

The other was when I was walking out of a store and did one of the things that bugs me most about californians...the blind, never looking up stroll in the crosswalk, presuming drivers are attentive and watching out for you. I almost walked into the side of an Excursion (or had it run over my toes) as it passed by, going at least twice the parking lot speed limit. Woman on the phone, eating some fast food item, about 900 kids in the back. Clearly she never saw me.

:eek:
I've driven extensively in New York. Come on. I'm fairly sure that 90% of New York drivers would take more than 30 seconds to identify where their turn signal lever was located in the vehicle. ;)

TH,

I think you meant NJ drivers. The state plate should be changed from Garden State to Guess What I'll Do Next

BUM
:D

LOL. I wanted to make up some bumper stickers that said "See if you can guess what I'm going to do next" and apply them to some of those drivers cars.

Now, when you speak of NJ drivers, which exit are you referring to?

(actually I used to have a girlfriend in Montclair, very nice town, and most of new jersey is rather nice.)

Yep, it only takes a second. My driving record is good
but I think the most impressive thing is the bazillion
miles I drove through heavy deer populations and never hit one. Several near misses though. Anyway,
inattention is dangerous, no question. Also, if you are in a
car and run off the road, most times it's just embarrassing. On a motorcycle though there's an excellent
chance you'll be dead. I miss it, but it's a dangerous
hobby.

JG

I live in deer country and have hit two in my driving career. Both in the dead of night.

I have also hit (or been it by) two birds when motorcyling. this could kill you. One was a pigeon that ended up flapping wildly in my lap; I pushed it away as I wobbled a bit. The gross out factor was greater than the danger. I was probably going only about 10 miles an hour. Dumb pigeon.

The other bird incident was a grouse I ran over in the road. Totally destroyed the bird. No effect on the bike.

My husband once had a bee go in his mouth and sting the back of his throat while motorcycling. I most always wear a full face helmet but when I don't I keep my mouth closed.

Martha

I was in a costco gas station and watched a guy on the next aisle over pull up to the pump, get out and proceed (in defiance of the sign on the pump that says to turn off cell phones while fueling) to make a good 5 minute phone call while standing next to his car without ever putting the pump in it.

I'm sure the guy was an idiot and obviously rude, but the rule about no cell phones at gas stations is not really grounded in fact:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

Anyone seen "Myth Busters" on cable? I love that show and they investigated the cell phone at a gas station issue too. They tried everything to get a cell phone to ignite gas fumes, sometimes at obscene levels, to no avail.

Sparks from static electricity, on the other hand, appeared to be far more problematic. Interesting stuff.

Yep I'm a regular mythbusters watcher. Did you know that Adam was the cute little red haired kid that used to help Mr. Whipple stack Charmin back in the good old days?

They did a pretty good job on putting the "cell phone blows up a gas pump" myth to rest. On some other efforts I've found their methods a little incomplete and scattered. Its fun to watch though.

If you're reading this and have no idea what we're talking about, "Mythbusters" is a show where two hollywood special effects engineers take on all sorts of myths and folktales, reproduce what supposedly happened, and prove or disprove the myth.

They've built a raft from raincoats and paddled it from alcatraz to the mainland, tested to see if jumping up just as an elevator minus its cable and brakes hits the ground lessens the impact, tested to see if you can break out of jail by rubbing salsa on prison bars over a long period of time, and if you can actually pole-vault a car by having its driveshaft front u-joint fail and have the shaft fall into a pothole. Oh yes, and they've also done hideous and nearly unspeakable things to a crash test dummy, which has now had its skeleton rebuilt twice, been burned beyond recognition several times, catapulted, dropped on the ground from great heights, dropped into the ocean from great heights, etc.

I'll bet that dummy had some good thoughts about ER before all of that happened to him. Ok, so thats a lame attempt to actually tie this back to the original topic.

I'll bet that dummy had some good thoughts about ER before all of that happened to him.
Hey, we could learn a lot from a test-ER dummy...

I am an "ER test dummy". I strapped myself in (1993)
unceremoniously and hit the gas. Devastation and destruction are left in my path, but I am patched up
with spit and duct tape and still rolling along..................

JG

Yep I'm a regular mythbusters watcher.  Did you know that Adam was the cute little red haired kid that used to help Mr. Whipple stack Charmin back in the good old days?

We just saw that episode. My wife rewound the DVR a couple of times to confirm it. He looks just as goofy now as he did then. :)

"Jackass meets Mr. Science".

Here's Buster the crash dummy preparing for his ER experience:

busterinchair_t.jpg

This was trying to reproduce the myth of the Chinese Astronaut...that supposedly some dude back during the 16th century attempted to shoot himself into space with 47 bamboo rockets tied together and stuck under his chair.

The first attempt produced a flaming chair (and crash test dummy). The later attempt brought in amateur rocketeers who strapped a bunch of professionally made rocket motors in place of the bamboo ones. Due to instability the chair rose 5' and then turned upside down, smashing Buster into the ground and then lighting him on fire again. I believe this was later referred to as the "***** ER method". :D

Back
Top Bottom