Blow that Dough! - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations and best wishes for your life together!

I am very close to Peninsula and CVNP. In the summers I’m an usher for The Cleveland Orchestra at Blossom Music Center which is also in CVNP.

Oh.........you are one of those folks to envy whenever I go to Blossom: all those free concerts you get to hear and fireworks you get to watch! The region is so beautiful; I am always proud when visitors come from out of state, and travel through the park in awe. (Same with Blossom!) :)

Attachments

• 391A019D-4876-44CF-9A94-BEEEA82C088B.jpeg
    391A019D-4876-44CF-9A94-BEEEA82C088B.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 77
  • A0239992-0187-4C24-AF47-188E2DD93CEE.jpeg
    A0239992-0187-4C24-AF47-188E2DD93CEE.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 76
Teeth are overrated anyway. People can be happy without them.

621a8e0a58258c9a33d0582bbc52c903--happy-smile-happy-lady.jpg

It certainly is. We spent 2 1/2 weeks in the Utah national parks and monuments last October. As for pictures, how about Bryce Canyon . . . .

Nice pic. I visited Zion and The Arches a couple of years ago. Plan to see Bryce and Canyonlands this year. There are some awesome 4k videos of Bryce and others on youtube. I watch some when riding my indoor bike.

Am just checking in...........after seeing that my last post was on 12/26/16.

That's because 2017 brought a wonderful new adventure: meeting and marrying Spouse #2. Back in 2015, when my first husband passed away, many of you were so kind with your support and condolences.

Then, last year-- truly out of the blue-- I met a delightful widower whose story had many parallels to my own: my first husband had braved a debilitating illness for the last 30 years of our 35-year marriage. My "new friend" (now husband) had faithfully taken care of his wife of 46 years while she suffered with cancer off and on during the last 20 years of their marriage.

But the similarities only began there. It has been a lovely story.

But, anyway, when we decided to marry in Nov. '17, he kindly and patiently went along with my desire for a nice, big fat celebration (that is, by my frugal standards). Not a mega-wedding so popular with today's 20-somethings. But a pretty church wedding with lots of flowers, friends, family, and fabulous music; followed by a nice catered dinner in a historic schoolhouse (circa 1900) in the middle of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. (I am a retired teacher, and new husband's mom taught for 40+ years in a one-room school.)

The day cost much more than the cake and punch reception at my first wedding back in '79. While Hubby #2 and I shared the cost of this party, I added goodies along the way that I just wanted to have, simply because...... (So my part cost about $7,500.......major "big bucks" for this veteran LBYM-er.) But it all was soooooooooo worth it, both for fun and for beauty.

It was a happy family and friend celebration, enjoyed by all. And we are both confident our late spouses would have enjoyed our choice of each other......and would have loved the day as well.

Great joy in "blowing that dough!!

:)

This gets my vote for post of the year! Congrats and wishing you many happy years together....:flowers:

This gets my vote for post of the year! Congrats and wishing you many happy years together....:flowers:

+1000

Welcome back, LitGal! What a delightful post and I am so happy for you. :D Also, $7500 is not that much for even a frugal person to spend on their wedding IMO.

Am just checking in...........after seeing that my last post was on 12/26/16.

That's because 2017 brought a wonderful new adventure: meeting and marrying Spouse #2. Back in 2015, when my first husband passed away, many of you were so kind with your support and condolences.

Then, last year-- truly out of the blue-- I met a delightful widower whose story had many parallels to my own: my first husband had braved a debilitating illness for the last 30 years of our 35-year marriage. My "new friend" (now husband) had faithfully taken care of his wife of 46 years while she suffered with cancer off and on during the last 20 years of their marriage.

But the similarities only began there. It has been a lovely story.

But, anyway, when we decided to marry in Nov. '17, he kindly and patiently went along with my desire for a nice, big fat celebration (that is, by my frugal standards). Not a mega-wedding so popular with today's 20-somethings. But a pretty church wedding with lots of flowers, friends, family, and fabulous music; followed by a nice catered dinner in a historic schoolhouse (circa 1900) in the middle of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. (I am a retired teacher, and new husband's mom taught for 40+ years in a one-room school.)

The day cost much more than the cake and punch reception at my first wedding back in '79. While Hubby #2 and I shared the cost of this party, I added goodies along the way that I just wanted to have, simply because...... (So my part cost about $7,500.......major "big bucks" for this veteran LBYM-er.) But it all was soooooooooo worth it, both for fun and for beauty.

It was a happy family and friend celebration, enjoyed by all. And we are both confident our late spouses would have enjoyed our choice of each other......and would have loved the day as well.

Great joy in "blowing that dough!!

:)

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your story. Very happy for you!

It certainly is. We spent 2 1/2 weeks in the Utah national parks and monuments last October. As for pictures, how about Bryce Canyon . . . .

Gorgeous picture! Bryce Canyon is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been.

Decided to spring for a new smile. 24 veneers. Will try not to make them too white.

Agree with you about not making them too white. A good friend got veneers that in my opinion are a bit too white and too perfect. I think enhancements that look natural are much better. The first time I saw my friend after he got his done, it was a bit jarring and quite obvious that he had a new smile.

And this is an example of the reason why Southern Utah/Northern Arizona is tops on my potential places for my second retirement when DS finishes high school and is off to college.

And this is an example of the reason why Southern Utah/Northern Arizona is tops on my potential places for my second retirement when DS finishes high school and is off to college.

Washington County?..we usually try to spend at least 6 weeks out there during the worst of our winters. It's inexpensive because of the tremendous increase in VRBO rentals. Very renter friendly in Jan and Feb excluding President's Day weekend.

Thank You!

Dear ivnsfan, W2R, and scuba,

Yes, this new adventure has been a gift I never anticipated. DH#2 and I found that we bring as much joy to each other as did our first spouses. Plus, we have a unique appreciation for good health, so hope to use our remaining years to enjoy it for as long as possible.

Since neither of us had ever spent over $7,500 on a party, it did feel like a fun and extravagant day to us both..........(but then, of course, it was not a car or a "thing" we could enjoy on a shelf.....)

But we already have stuff. Instead, DH#2 has been my surprise of the decade! The situation deserved a major party. And all who attended seemed to agree!

Thanks for your kind wishes!!

:D:flowers::)

Agree with you about not making them too white. A good friend got veneers that in my opinion are a bit too white and too perfect. I think enhancements that look natural are much better. The first time I saw my friend after he got his done, it was a bit jarring and quite obvious that he had a new smile.
I have a knick in one of my front veneers and I have left it to enhance the natural look.

Dear ivnsfan, W2R, and scuba,

Yes, this new adventure has been a gift I never anticipated. DH#2 and I found that we bring as much joy to each other as did our first spouses. Plus, we have a unique appreciation for good health, so hope to use our remaining years to enjoy it for as long as possible.

Since neither of us had ever spent over $7,500 on a party, it did feel like a fun and extravagant day to us both..........(but then, of course, it was not a car or a "thing" we could enjoy on a shelf.....)

But we already have stuff. Instead, DH#2 has been my surprise of the decade! The situation deserved a major party. And all who attended seemed to agree!

Thanks for your kind wishes!!

:D:flowers::)

It might have been unexpected, but it certainly was well deserved for both of you. Some times the good guys do win...

Ring a bell. I did it!

I booked us business class international round trip tickets (actually open jaw). I saw the price was like 2.3x economy, which was a way lower ratio than I’d seen before on my route.

Just in time too, apparently, because a couple of days after I reserved the tickets the price doubled.

We’ve opportunistically upgraded before, but this is the first time I’ve bought business class up front.

Now I don’t have to renew my Economy Plus subscription - at least for a long while.

I got rid of some of the extra cash by burying a Silverado 4x4 quad ZR1 in October. And DW is ERing in 10 days.

The market flash correction had me down 2 Silverados for about a week. Now I'm up temporarily half a Silverado.

Went shopping for a new truck today to replace the old one that's 14 years old. Wow, if you're ever in the mood to blow some dough just go look at a new truck!

Ice storm today in KC. Sooo I'm sitting in the Doc's office while Wife's knee gets a shot - hiking future looks limited. Reading why we should quit hiking and trade in my 2013 Silverado for a new Jeep Wrangler. FEB. Motor Trend.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: :dance::dance::angel: :facepalm:

heh heh heh - love my Chevy trucks BUT? ;) The article before was EV Chevy, Nissan and Tesla 3. Too expensive! Need an anti-cheap pill. :rolleyes:

Heading to Vegas on Friday for my 60th birthday. Staying at the Venetian and going to see the band Chicago Sat night. Just signed up for a $4000k line of credit for a little gaming for me and DGF.

Hopefully won't blow it all but if we do...what the heck.:D:D:D

Heading to Vegas on Friday for my 60th birthday. Staying at the Venetian and going to see the band Chicago Sat night. Just signed up for a $4000k line of credit for a little gaming for me and DGF.

Happy birthday!

DH’s 60th we managed to celebrate in Paris, as it happened to be a couple of days before we joined a Loire Valley tour. Great day touring Monet museum and other city sights - saw the famous girl with a unicorn tapestries too. View of the Eiffel tour lit up from our hotel room along the Tuileries Gardens while sipping champagne. It was quite a celebration!

OMG My 60th is only 1.5 years away!

Happy birthday!

DH’s 60th we managed to celebrate in Paris, as it happened to be a couple of days before we joined a Loire Valley tour. Great day touring Monet museum and other city sights - saw the famous girl with a unicorn tapestries too. View of the Eiffel tour lit up from our hotel room along the Tuileries Gardens while sipping champagne. It was quite a celebration!

OMG My 60th is only 1.5 years away!

Isn't 60 the new 50? 2 more years for me. :LOL:

I'm retiring this summer. I am angling for a birding tour in far south (east) Panama later this year. I know I can afford it - but there is an extra add-on trip .... I wrote my FA today to ask if I could do the extra trip. She said no problem. I nervously then asked if that meant I *couldn't* do a trip in 2019. She said I could, and I should "enjoy my trip." Wow - to not be jittery about this extra trip:confused: Is it really possible? Can I learn to do this?

We just had a pricey long weekend... Family of four to the Grand Canyon. Splurged on canyon view room at the Kachina lodge. And splurged on a fancy dinner at the El Tovar. Feeding teenagers is pricey - especially at a place like that... but the food was incredible. (We made up for it by having lunch at Subway for our drive home, lol.)

Now I'm busy wracking up the $$ spent for the boys swim season... team sweatshirts, team jammers for meets, non-team jammers for practice, new goggles that are higher end than the previous ones. I'm blowing that dough!!!

Oh and I also wrote a check for older son's AP exams this afternoon... Blow that dough!!!

The only thing I spent money on in January, that I don't spend money on every month, were some batteries and no-tie shoelaces for a total of $17.03.

So, I'm not blowing that dough too well yet. But who knows what the future will bring... :D
Last weekend I spent $2.99 to download some beautiful new jigsaw puzzles for my iPad jigsaw puzzle program. They are providing me with hours of fun! I listen to free podcasts to occupy my mind while doing them. The puzzles are all photos of colorful birds.

I don't know what the rest of you like to do in retirement, but to me, this sure beats other forms of couch potato activity.

Are there some extra zeros on that number, if not you should have a Heck of a birthday celebration...:dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom