Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a fast slow-leak in one of my tires. Realized two tires (still with lots of tread) were 8 years old. Replaced them both at a total BTD price of $238 installed. I think I'll replace the other two next year should I live so long. YMMV

Got a fast slow-leak in one of my tires. Realized two tires (still with lots of tread) were 8 years old. Replaced them both at a total BTD price of $238 installed. I think I'll replace the other two next year should I live so long. YMMV
I remember I used to be able to find some good brands of tires on tire rack website with coupons that brought the final price down to $40/tire (free shipping but installation extra) in mid 2000s. Then I would drive with them installed for at least a decade. They would still have lots of tread because I only drive around 3k miles a year.

Now the cost is doubled and we may start worrying about the rubber shortage in the future. Good things end eventually.

Replenishing that dough! So I can blow more. :)

Sold my Covid project car today. :( Got 2 x what I paid for it. Made a Wheeler Dealer style profit where one does not count one's labour. :)

So now the hunt begins again for another project car.

Attachments

• IMG_0240 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0240 (Medium).JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0134 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0134 (Large).JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0077 (Medium) (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0077 (Medium) (Medium).JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0229 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0229 (Medium).JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0243 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0243 (Medium).JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0235 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0235 (Medium).JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0002 (Medium) (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0002 (Medium) (Medium).JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0138 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0138 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 78
nice and I'm sure you look at bring a trailer website !!!
https://bringatrailer.com/
search your heart out...

Yup, I sold this one locally would you believe. 1 day on FB marketplace! I was so surprised, especially as we live in relatively po-dunk Florida, no one has any money here. Low tooth to tattoo ratios for the most part. :), I was working with BaT on a description when I got the call to schedule a showing. Money has already been wired and is safe and sound in my checking account. He picks up the car tomorrow, he lives 5 miles down the road. No haggling he paid my asking price +$1 :). I advertised it for $xx,999, he paid $yy,000.

Last edited:
More "redundancy" blow that dough.

I decided I wanted to have 4 pairs of golf shoes, 2 spiked, 2 spikeless, and rotate their usage.I play enough golf and walk the course to make it worthwhile. I just ordered the additional 2 pairs from Amazon. Now I have multiple pairs of shoes for golfing, walking/hiking, gym workouts, social casual, and formal/semi-formal. Imelda Marcos, here I come! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yeah! View out the balcony;

Water goes right up to the hotel;

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51368706125_05fdcb89f0_o.jpg

Can't say for sure, but this may be the place we stayed once many years ago. If not, it was similar and close by.

About 22-24 years ago, last second business trip on a holiday weekend for me from midwest to San Francisco, managed to get the in laws to watch the kids and FF ticket for DW to join me. We had hotel and theater tix in SF for all but the first night. While I was at work for one day (she was chilling at the business paid room), she got on the phone and called some places. Since it was Thursday night of a holiday weekend (many people with Friday off), they were willing to not only book a single night (normally 2-3 min), but gave a discount. And it was my birthday.

Thanks RobbieB, brings back great memories from a long ago trip... :)

Replenishing that dough! So I can blow more. :)

Sold my Covid project car today. :( Got 2 x what I paid for it. Made a Wheeler Dealer style profit where one does not count one's labour. :)

So now the hunt begins again for another project car.

Beautiful MG! Looks to be late 60's early 70's with the all chrome bumpers and 3 wipers. I used to restore MGB's with my dad when I was young. Owned a '73 MGB GT in high school and a 1980 MGB limited edition in college. Put a lot of miles on them with all the Lucas troubles that went with these cars. Four years ago, I found a 1980 MGB LE just like the one I had in college and bought it. Drove it for a few months and after having to fix all manner of things typical of these cars, I sold it. Wife would not drive it. So we replaced it with a BMW Z4.

We’re spending a bunch on vacation travel, Chicago in August and Nantucket in Sept. But we’ve spent very little on vacation travel since Spring 2020 so it all averages out. :blush:

I've been doing a lot of domestic travel and the one thing I have done to blow that dough has been to upgrade the experience. For example, paying another $50 a night for a somewhat bigger room with a view. Or buying gas at the first station I see rather than hunting around to save 7¢ a gallon. Or I, skip the hotel grab-n-go breakfast bag and have breakfast at a local restaurant. Then there is simply stopping at a place that makes good homemade pies and enjoying pie and coffee. A slice of good pie is definitely worth blowing some dough.

Chuckanut a dear friend had to make a long car journey in a emergency situation. Her brother died suddenly. She was overwhelmed with family stuff so I helped by looking for hotels along her route and linking the best ones by text.

It was interstate 80 in Nebraska in the middle of the week and I was surprised just about every property was in the 200 dollar when you included taxes.

Chain hotels on the interstate,so it would easy to BTD ...

Last edited:
We’re spending a bunch on vacation travel, Chicago in August and Nantucket in Sept. But we’ve spent very little on vacation travel since Spring 2020 so it all averages out. :blush:
Best time of the year to be in Nantucket. Usually perfect weather:) and all the summer tourists gone.:dance:

Blow that dough.....July! Well, it seems like money just flew out of my account last month.

My sister is going through a not so nice divorce at 57, after what I consider to be an emotionally abusive, controlling marriage. She is now teaching, and took classes this summer to move upon the salary schedule. I paid her tuition bill ($6400) and was happy to do it. I feel like I have my sister back after 27 years.

We celebrated my mom's 85th birthday in Vegas. Myself and dh, my mom, my sister and brother, my three kids, my four nephews (sisters kids) and nephews fiance. . Luckily my mom used her Marriott points for the lodging, but airfare for everyone, meals, drinks and activities (the race car driving experience, cabana rental at pool, Topgolf and a spa day for the ladies at the Venetian) was about $12,000. What a great time! So grateful I could host. My daughter (the only girl) really bonded with her cousin to be, the boys hung out, gambled together and stayed up late watching movies-it was wonderful. The cousins have really begun to have relationships since my sister's divorce proceedings started which has also been a blessing.

Finally, my mom moved to the midwest in May. I told my 3 kids I would pay for two trips a year for them to fly out and visit their grandma and have time with their cousins (probably long weekends). I don't believe in providing ongoing financial support for my kids (what was it called in Millionaire Next Door?) for them to live above their means but for me, this is very different. At 85, who knows how many years my mom has left, and I want her to still be able to see her CA grandkids. So, I pulled out $5000 to start the account.

Wow, great spending story!

I think it’s a great idea to come up with ideas you will fund. Funding visits to Grandma - no, that’s not economic outpatient care, it’s brilliant!

Blow that dough.....July! Well, it seems like money just flew out of my account last month.

My sister is going through a not so nice divorce at 57, after what I consider to be an emotionally abusive, controlling marriage. She is now teaching, and took classes this summer to move upon the salary schedule. I paid her tuition bill ($6400) and was happy to do it. I feel like I have my sister back after 27 years.

We celebrated my mom's 85th birthday in Vegas. Myself and dh, my mom, my sister and brother, my three kids, my four nephews (sisters kids) and nephews fiance. . Luckily my mom used her Marriott points for the lodging, but airfare for everyone, meals, drinks and activities (the race car driving experience, cabana rental at pool, Topgolf and a spa day for the ladies at the Venetian) was about $12,000. What a great time! So grateful I could host. My daughter (the only girl) really bonded with her cousin to be, the boys hung out, gambled together and stayed up late watching movies-it was wonderful. The cousins have really begun to have relationships since my sister's divorce proceedings started which has also been a blessing.

Finally, my mom moved to the midwest in May. I told my 3 kids I would pay for two trips a year for them to fly out and visit their grandma and have time with their cousins (probably long weekends). I don't believe in providing ongoing financial support for my kids (what was it called in Millionaire Next Door?) for them to live above their means but for me, this is very different. At 85, who knows how many years my mom has left, and I want her to still be able to see her CA grandkids. So, I pulled out $5000 to start the account.

IMHO nothing better to spend money on than family experiences. Your memories will be with you for ever. What a bargain!

Family and money could lead to some heartache.

PandaBear--These are the types of experiences we choose to spend money on--time/experiences with family, and helping out during tough times.
Wonderful!

In January, I sold a second home that I owned that my mother had been living in. There wasn't a mortgage on that house, so I was left with some cash to decide how to use. I invested about half of it and pocketed the rest to do some home projects and live off of for a while.

I decided to update the siding on my house back in March of 2021. The existing siding was the original (I think) aluminum siding from the 1960s. I got 2 quotes for replacing it with vinyl siding and one quote for repainting the house. I decided it wasn't worth $25000 to me to have all-new vinyl siding. However, the $7500 to paint it was attractive enough to go ahead with the project. The painters finally got to my job last week and finished it up a couple days ago. I could not be happier. Yes, there are some dents in the siding. But all things considered, I think it totally changed the look of the house. They painted all the siding and all the trims (gutters, fascia, soffit, downspouts, window trim, etc.).

Here's how it turned out. Old color - White (first picture). New color - Moody Blue

Next up: New asphalt driveway.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 74
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Entryway.jpg
    Entryway.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 69

I decided to update the siding on my house back in March of 2021. The existing siding was the original (I think) aluminum siding from the 1960s ...
Here's how it turned out. Old color - White (first picture). New color - Moody Blue

Nice! Although in the picture, the white looks OK, probably only up close would you see the wear & tear.

My 1st SFH had aluminum siding, and the paint was OK, but kind of "chalky" looking. I had thought about getting it painted, I think it would have really freshened up the look, but I sold it before I got to it, or even got a quote (wasn't a high priority, just a kind of "would be nice" idea).

I think the blue really blends in well with the metal roof. While I think metal roofs can make a lot of sense from a practical stand, I'm not always a fan of how they look, (sort of industrial? - personal preference of course). But I think the blue really makes the roof blend in much nicer - it's kind of a stark contrast with the white.

It did turn out nice. I'm happy you are happy! :) It's always a good feeling when we "blow that dough" and feel like we got our money's worth (or more!).

-ERD50

I like that house! Nice big ranch with no stairs - :)

So is it OK to post a "not gonna blow that dough" subject for contrast, and it's not even my money? But these home improvement posts had me thinking about a quote my DD got to replace their deck.

Their deck is good size, and 2 stories (they have an 'English", or "look-out" basement, so their 1st floor in front is almost 2 stories in back), and comes up to their above-ground pool. But not huge, not sure I could come up with decent figures though.

They wanted to look into replacing it, I really think it would be fine to just replace a few of the rotted boards, the paint/stain isn't even that bad, could probably easily get another 10 years out of it with some maintenance.

The quote for a new deck was for... $40,000! OK, I'm an old geezer, but my first home (a townhouse) cost less than that!

Pretty sure they are going to do some maintenance instead ;) And no, dear old Dad is not writing a check for that! Or at least wait for things to settle down - seems like all the home improvement stuff is in high demand, and high prices.

-ERD50

Nice! Although in the picture, the white looks OK, probably only up close would you see the wear & tear.

My 1st SFH had aluminum siding, and the paint was OK, but kind of "chalky" looking. I had thought about getting it painted, I think it would have really freshened up the look, but I sold it before I got to it, or even got a quote (wasn't a high priority, just a kind of "would be nice" idea).

I think the blue really blends in well with the metal roof. While I think metal roofs can make a lot of sense from a practical stand, I'm not always a fan of how they look, (sort of industrial? - personal preference of course). But I think the blue really makes the roof blend in much nicer - it's kind of a stark contrast with the white.

It did turn out nice. I'm happy you are happy! :) It's always a good feeling when we "blow that dough" and feel like we got our money's worth (or more!).

-ERD50

Thanks. Yes, the old white siding looked fine from the road. Up close, you would see the chalky coloration you noted on yours. It was quite faded in places. The white soffit and gutters were particularly dirty/old looking prior to the repaint.

As for the metal roof, my biggest concern with my color choice was how it would look with the gray roof. I was afraid they would look too similar. But I was pleased to see they complement each other nicely.

Metal roofs have become the norm here in my area for reroof projects. If someone is putting on a new roof, I bet 9/10 of them are being done in steel. I bought the house already roofed, so I didn’t make the decision. But I rather like it.

I forgot to mention - the current drive looks like concrete? Are you sure you want asphalt? Maybe just power-wash the concrete?

The problem I've had with asphalt is the grass/weeds want to grow into the edge and deteriorate it. Concrete is pretty good at fighting that.

Also - love the name of the blue paint (Moody Blue) :)

-ERD50

I like that house! Nice big ranch with no stairs - :)

Thank you! I love this house. I’m single, but I’ve owned big, two story houses mostly prior to this one. I decided that part of my early retirement was to downsize into a ranch. It’s paid for and now fully repainted inside and out. I LOVE not having stairs to deal with. I have a full basement under it, but only use it for storage. The previous owners had already moved the washer and dryer out of the basement into the closet of the bedroom I use as my office. Works for me nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom