Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW is the same, she refuses to replace her 23 yr old toyota with another because the new car fronts are ugly.

I agree on certain models. DW drives a 2012 Lexus RX350 which looks fine. However, the newer models front grill is awful looking - like a scowling monster.

I agree on certain models. DW drives a 2012 Lexus RX350 which looks fine. However, the newer models front grill is awful looking - like a scowling monster.

A lot of models have gone to that angry look, as if most women and many males like that look?

I'm getting a new Bradford White water heater installed in our attic today to replace the 20 year old one that has started to leak :blush:. Cost will be $1,675 installed. That's better than $6,000 deductible (2%) on homeowner's insurance coverage I'd have to pay if the old water heater dumped its load through our 8' high ceiling.;)

Aja, if you don't mind which model did you get? Our is the RE250T6 6 year warranty. Cost for my install was 2500. My HVAC guy did it, didn't request a quote, gave 900 as deposit to get tank. when he gave 1600 due was kind sticker shocked.... especially when ours worked fine, was manufactured in 8/89 !!!

The BTD part comes when we tacked on a trip to Milwaukee because neither of us had been there. It was fun—much more so than Detroit. We went to a huge state fair, took a fun city tour, saw the Pabst mansion, and went to a Brewer’s game. I have some fun pictures, but I don’t know how to post them on this site.

Woo-hoo, Brewtown!

I wound up here by accident, but it really is a gem.

Last edited:
Part of why I retired was so I could be a trophy wife and go on cool work trips with my husband before his jealousy of my retirement consumes him, and he pulls the trigger. He works for the Coast Guard, so he has to go to places like Hawaii, Miami, Cape Cod for “work.” I love rust-belt towns and had always wanted to see Detroit, so when he had to go there for work I was elated. He also had to go to Traverse City and Grand Haven Michigan, both delightful towns. The BTD part comes when we tacked on a trip to Milwaukee because neither of us had been there. It was fun—much more so than Detroit. We went to a huge state fair, took a fun city tour, saw the Pabst mansion, and went to a Brewer’s game. I have some fun pictures, but I don’t know how to post them on this site.

If you really want to BTD, wait til you go to more glamorous locales, though Hawaii, Miami and maybe Cape Cod would fit that description.

DW is the same, she refuses to replace her 23 yr old toyota with another because the new car fronts are ugly.

I haven't told her that when she drives it, she won't see the front :LOL:
Haha, one can tell you are a man - with that logic, there's never a need for a lady's makeup, since while she walks around town, she can't see her face either :LOL:

Last edited:
A lot of models have gone to that angry look, as if most women and many males like that look?
I really don't know if the majority of folks really like it, and I hope not since that would make me question the current state of society even more. I think it's more Akio Toyoda's coming of age: "See, I am a powerful grownup now, and I can change the face of Toyotas to whatever I want". But in all fairness, the new 86 and even the RAV4 Prime have more reasonable front ends. Maybe Akio is getting over his late adolescent phase.

Agree with this and other similar posts. That RX350 was a strong leader for my next car a few years ago, but when it came time to buy they had changed that grill and I hated it. I read somewhere that they think it's aggressive and appeals to younger buyers.

DW got back from a 10 day backpack with her homies, then went for a one week trip to Vermont with her sister in Penn.
She came back for a week to Reno, then was depressed by the smoke and heat (most days have been over 150 AQI, which is not good).
So we're in Mill Valley/Marin County hiking from Monday to Friday. Great hike today from the top down to Stimson Beach then up the Dipsea/Steep Ravine trails back to the top. I'm pounding a couple of glasses of vino to distract from my slight leg ache (1600 foot climb).

By the way, I don't think the RAV4 Prime grill is too aggressive, but then I don't pay any attention to it. I bought it for the 42 mile electric range and the 300 hp; best of both worlds. We're averaging right at 50 mpg, despite the long trips.

Last edited:
Aja, if you don't mind which model did you get? Our is the RE250T6 6 year warranty. Cost for my install was 2500. My HVAC guy did it, didn't request a quote, gave 900 as deposit to get tank. when he gave 1600 due was kind sticker shocked.... especially when ours worked fine, was manufactured in 8/89 !!!

Wow, you got a lot of service out of that water heater! Mine was leaking at the bottom and it was definitely time (1999 install).

I'd have to go up in the attic where it is installed to get the exact model number, but from what I remember, it started with "R G" and has the 6 year tank and parts warranty. It's a 40 gallon unit that is 48"tall and 22 3/4" in diameter and is gas fired. Our original was also a Bradford White (USA made) and lasted 21 years. :coolsmiley

Mine was installed by a local plumber (independent guy) and his charge for the new water heater/tank, new drip pan, new gas line and new flex copper input/output piping was $1675.00 all in. Good deal I think.

... ...
So we're in Mill Valley/Marin County hiking from Monday to Friday. Great hike today from the top down to Stimson Beach then up the Dipsea/Steep Ravine trails back to the top. I'm pounding a couple of glasses of vino to distract from my slight leg ache (1600 foot climb).

... ...

Air quality in the Bay Area starting tomorrow is supposed to be bad, especially in the North Bay. We've been lucky with the winds blowing east, however, it appears our luck just ran out.

Just ordered a remote control blower for my boat lift. No more tying up and raising the lift manually! Will make life sooo much easier when I go out fishing by myself.

f35phixer, my WH serial number is RG240S6N.

i guess its an apples and tomatoes :LOL: comparison, mine is an electric 50 gallon 6 year warranty also.... I'm happy with it, just was shocking , the price...

thanks again.

Air quality in the Bay Area starting tomorrow is supposed to be bad, especially in the North Bay. We've been lucky with the winds blowing east, however, it appears our luck just ran out.

We hiked in Muir Woods today and it and Mill Valley were much better than further north or East in SF. But Reno was down to 80 AQI for once and temps at 78 (it's been in the high 90's to 100s and high AQI with a few days off, now and then for the last two months), so as you said, we missed a decent day in Reno. We go back tomorrow, and the highs won't go further than 90 degrees for at least a week! If the wind shifts, we'll get pounded by the Susanville fire smoke, though. Better to be lucky than good.

The hike today was 9.6 miles/1800 feet of elevation gain from Bootjack camp down to Muir and back up through Canopy and the Troop 80 trail. Well worth it even if Reno today was only slightly worse in AQI!

A large open gaping mouth ready to devour you. Run and hide!

Wanted to buy the Lexus, treat myself to a good ride, but cannot abide the look. Ended up with a jeep Cherokee trail hawk

We tried to blow over $12,000 on air and a cruise that we scheduled this year for October, and it got cancelled! We weren't even that excited about it, but DW always wants to join her sisters on these trips. What's a spendthrift to do:confused:??

We tried to blow over $12,000 on air and a cruise that we scheduled this year for October, and it got cancelled! We weren't even that excited about it, but DW always wants to join her sisters on these trips. What's a spendthrift to do:confused:??

$24,000 NEXT year!

My wife drives a 2007 Honda Accord. It's still got less than 85K miles on it. Whenever I suggest buying her something new, she says no way. She loves that car and wants to drive it until the wheels fall off.

My wife drives a 2007 Honda Accord. It's still got less than 85K miles on it. Whenever I suggest buying her something new, she says no way. She loves that car and wants to drive it until the wheels fall off.

DW felt the same way about her '99 Honda CRV. Guess what? The wheels DID fall off (not literally, but repairs would be way more than value of the car.) What she (and I) liked about that car was the visibility. It was akin to flying a P-51 Mustang. At our age, visibility is important.

We've looked around and have not found anything new (as in after 2015) with that level of visibility. We are seriously considering BTD on a used CRV vintage '05 or older as it would be almost the same body style with the visibility. I think we would over-pay if we found a low mileage decent looking example. YMMV

DW felt the same way about her '99 Honda CRV. Guess what? The wheels DID fall off (not literally, but repairs would be way more than value of the car.) What she (and I) liked about that car was the visibility. It was akin to flying a P-51 Mustang. At our age, visibility is important.

We've looked around and have not found anything new (as in after 2015) with that level of visibility. We are seriously considering BTD on a used CRV vintage '05 or older as it would be almost the same body style with the visibility. I think we would over-pay if we found a low mileage decent looking example. YMMV
Check out the Subaru Forester. Great visibility.

Check out the Subaru Forester. Great visibility.

Thanks. As alluded to, we wouldn't be in the market for a new vehicle, but a gently used mid 20 teens would suit us fine. I always hear good things about Subaru AND I hear that the loyalty to the brand is near the top. Aloha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom