Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Splurged on our anniversary dinner. Six course tasting menu with paired wines - $360. Delicious, especially when the combinations were very unique.
The past few years we've cooked special meals at home so this was a treat.

One negative was a pitch to add a $50 per person caviar course.

Not sure if I can post here as I’m not retired yet (plan to be within 2 years) but today’s purchase definitely but a crimp in my retirement assets.

My wife and I went to our regular jeweler to get her jewelry cleaned for a wedding we attended tonight.

While there,he showed me a Rolex Sky dweller watch he had just gotten that he knew I have been interested in. It is white gold and white face and is brand new(he’s not a Rolex dealer but sells used and resale Rolex). I had bought another Rolex from him 6 years ago. He offered to “buy my Rolex back” for $1,000 more than I paid him for it and apply it to the price of the new watch. After some deliberation and encouragement from my wife I took the deal. Net cost of the new watch for me was $17k. It’s a lot of money but investing in a Rolex watch is an appreciating asset that can always be resold for more than I paid. I don’t think I will ever sell it and it will eventually be passed down to my grandson.

Yes, it is a significant and extravagant purchase but one that I felt comfortable making as I’m still working.
I guess reading the book Die With Zero has influenced my spending philosophy.

Watches are (a socially acceptable form of) jewelry for men. :)

Picked up this one on sale (half-price) for my kid in flight school: Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster Nighthawk Quartz Mens Watch, Stainless Steel, Pilot watch

Last edited:
Watches are (a socially acceptable form of) jewelry for men. :)

Picked up this one on sale (half-price) for my kid in flight school: Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster Nighthawk Quartz Mens Watch, Stainless Steel, Pilot watch

I'm too clumsy to wear an expensive watch but find myself ogling the adds for expensive watches in the slick magazines. A friend has half a dozen "expensive" watches (not in the Rolex class - but maybe a $Grand or two.) He switches off daily and DOES wear them as jewelry (in addition to always having the correct time.) I admire them but wouldn't take the plunge myself. YMMV

I'm sure your kid will treasure his gift!

I have had more than half a dozen different Rolex watches during my w*rking career. My DW has had 2, and still has one.

My favorite was an all gold Sub-Mariner with a blue lapis dial. ..... I digress.

When I FIREd, I had 2 left, DW had one. I used to sell them and replace them with another Rolex design or upgraded one. DW upgraded to a 2 tone custom from a SS version.

I just sold my last one last year, as since I retired I do not wear a watch at all. 12 years later it was time to de-clutter. :).

DW is keeping hers as she likes it as a piece of jewelry. I am uncomfortable wearing any watch now.

The GOOD news with Rolex is, when I sold each one I got at lease 30% more than what I paid, 50% more for the all gold one. Unlike almost all other jewelry they hold and even increase in value as opposed to losing 50%.

Not sure if I can post here as I’m not retired yet (plan to be within 2 years) but today’s purchase definitely but a crimp in my retirement assets.

My wife and I went to our regular jeweler to get her jewelry cleaned for a wedding we attended tonight.

While there,he showed me a Rolex Sky dweller watch he had just gotten that he knew I have been interested in. It is white gold and white face and is brand new(he’s not a Rolex dealer but sells used and resale Rolex). I had bought another Rolex from him 6 years ago. He offered to “buy my Rolex back” for $1,000 more than I paid him for it and apply it to the price of the new watch. After some deliberation and encouragement from my wife I took the deal. Net cost of the new watch for me was $17k. It’s a lot of money but investing in a Rolex watch is an appreciating asset that can always be resold for more than I paid. I don’t think I will ever sell it and it will eventually be passed down to my grandson.

Yes, it is a significant and extravagant purchase but one that I felt comfortable making as I’m still working.
I guess reading the book Die With Zero has influenced my spending philosophy.

Good for you. I also liked that book for some out of the normal thinking ideas.

A couple years ago I did the same thing with Rolex. Traded my two tone Sub for much more than I paid on a gently used Deep Sea. Love it. My son does too... someday.

I have had more than half a dozen different Rolex watches during my w*rking career. My DW has had 2, and still has one.

My favorite was an all gold Sub-Mariner with a blue lapis dial. ..... I digress.

When I FIREd, I had 2 left, DW had one. I used to sell them and replace them with another Rolex design or upgraded one. DW upgraded to a 2 tone custom from a SS version.

I just sold my last one last year, as since I retired I do not wear a watch at all. 12 years later it was time to de-clutter. :).

DW is keeping hers as she likes it as a piece of jewelry. I am uncomfortable wearing any watch now.

The GOOD news with Rolex is, when I sold each one I got at lease 30% more than what I paid, 50% more for the all gold one. Unlike almost all other jewelry they hold and even increase in value as opposed to losing 50%.

The kind of jewelry that I've found to be (sort of) an investment has been anything solid gold (chains, charm bracelets, coins in bezels, etc.) I used to buy these used (for DW) at a pawn shop where I knew the owner. He gave me a good deal and I've traded up over the years or just held them. DW loves them. Her favorite is a chain necklace with matching wrist and ankle bracelet made from two neck chains. I could get my money back (and a lot more) at any gold store or jewelry shop - but I won't. At the time it was definitely BTD but in a good way! YMMV

I love that aspect of RETIREMENT to NOT wear a watch! I think I will still wear one when I retire (even my Apple Watch which I wear almost daily, unless I have somewhere to go).
Yes, a Rolex is a decent investment but I love it for the great feeling it gives me to wear it. I'm sure others here who have had them understand.

I have an an electric car and blew 2 grand on installing a charger at my mothers place.

Compared to just charging from a plug on the wall I get better charging speed and a sensor which lowers the charging speed when my mum use lots of amps herself. Stopping any circuit breakers from going off.

She does not drive. But both my brother and I drive electric. And some of her friends. And last quarter over 70% of new cars sold in Norway were pure battery ones. So it will be useful for many.

Maybe you can charge others for a fee to charge their cars, post a sign outside your mother's house.

Maybe you can charge others for a fee to charge their cars, post a sign outside your mother's house.

I could have - but there are plenty of public ones in the area - some are even free of charge.

So, the local Fresh Thyme has Wagu beef (Australian, Carrera) for sale this weekend. Rib eye and NY strip. $40/lb.

Worth trying?

Quoting myself.

Just dropped $95 on 2 steaks. One strip, one rib-eye.

Hardly blowing the dough, but a splurge for me.

Went shopping today for new shoes. I have a high arch and have suffered from plantar fasciitis for years. I went to a specialty shoe store and had someone really check my shoes size and recommend specific shoes for me. Three pairs plus tax = almost $500. I got a pair of sneakers for exercise, a Chelsea ankle boot for winter and a pair of casual work shoes.
I plan for this to be my "new normal", I need to not skimp on shoes.

Went shopping today for new shoes. I have a high arch and have suffered from plantar fasciitis for years. I went to a specialty shoe store and had someone really check my shoes size and recommend specific shoes for me. Three pairs plus tax = almost $500. I got a pair of sneakers for exercise, a Chelsea ankle boot for winter and a pair of casual work shoes.
I plan for this to be my "new normal", I need to not skimp on shoes.

Have you been to a foot doctor? I had suffered with Planters fasciitis for years as well. The foot doc had inserts made for me that were almost miraculous. True, they don't work with flip flops, but regular shoes are now wearable without pain and the inserts are pretty much interchangeable. It's been over 10 years but my OOP was quite reasonable IIRC - nothing like $500 but YMMV.

^ WOW! Great way to enjoy your money.

I'm getting very close now to BTD. Land deal is close for me to exchange money and take over ownership. I'm exited about getting it done, it has been about 7 months since the the dialog started with seller. Been some bumps along the way but been persistent and patient and I can see the end point now.

I'm getting very close now to BTD. Land deal is close for me to exchange money and take over ownership. I'm exited about getting it done, it has been about 7 months since the the dialog started with seller. Been some bumps along the way but been persistent and patient and I can see the end point now.

Here's to a a smoother ride going forward! Looking forward to the final chapter AND some pictures.

Koolau, thank you. I know it was permature posting on BTD thread through the months but I have been very excited for my new purchase. I will definitely post when the deal is finally done. Lol

Have you been to a foot doctor? I had suffered with Planters fasciitis for years as well. The foot doc had inserts made for me that were almost miraculous. True, they don't work with flip flops, but regular shoes are now wearable without pain and the inserts are pretty much interchangeable. It's been over 10 years but my OOP was quite reasonable IIRC - nothing like $500 but YMMV.

Same here. Been using them in my running, walking and hiking shoes. Plantar fasciitis ended when I started wearing the arch supports.

While visiting my sister she noticed that Amazon has AirPods Pro on sale. She loves hers so I ordered them for myself just because. Never thought I'd spend that much on earbuds, but I wear them at least 2 hours a day now when I walk and do yard work, so I figure it's worth it.

While visiting my sister she noticed that Amazon has AirPods Pro on sale. She loves hers so I ordered them for myself just because. Never thought I'd spend that much on earbuds, but I wear them at least 2 hours a day now when I walk and do yard work, so I figure it's worth it.

Heh, heh, got "free" buds on a flight yesterday. Practically USELESS! Next time I'll BTD and buy some decent ones - though maybe not top of the line.

Heh, heh, got "free" buds on a flight yesterday. Practically USELESS! Next time I'll BTD and buy some decent ones - though maybe not top of the line.

Even with my own earbuds, I noticed on the plane it's pretty noisy, yet I didn't want to crank up the volume as I don't want to go deaf.

I'm thinking noise cancelling ones for the next flight.

Upon return to Paradise, I turned on the TV and Cable box. Both came on just fine. I started to get rid of some DVR'd programs that "slipped" through (thought I'd halted all the recordings). Suddenly, TV went black. I played with it for a couple of hours (Unplug, wait, plug back in. Unplug, wait, push "on" button for 10 seconds, plug back in. Etc., etc.) SO yesterday, went to Costco and plunked down $400 plus tax for a new TV of same size - has to fit the wall mount. That was LESS than the TV that the new one replaces AND the new set is light years ahead in quality and features (and brand name.) Still, for us, that's sort of BTD kind of experience, though YMMV since Costco had TVs for $3K!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom