Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH, I just about forgot to post that I have started to blow that dough. Paid land taxes on three different section of land for the seller of my new land purchase. It was part of the agreement that I pay the taxes and that amount would be taken off of the price we agreed too for the land, I'm in the process of purchasing. My attorney said it was time to get that part done so now one less step to the finish. So the BTD has started but more yet to blow.

OH, I just about forgot to post that I have started to blow that dough. Paid land taxes on three different section of land for the seller of my new land purchase. It was part of the agreement that I pay the taxes and that amount would be taken off of the price we agreed too for the land, I'm in the process of purchasing. My attorney said it was time to get that part done so now one less step to the finish. So the BTD has started but more yet to blow.

One step at a time. At least, the process HAS begun. Congratulations and hope for a quick completion of the sale. Enjoy!

Congrats it's good to hear that you are getting close to finishing the transaction!

Koolau & wmc1000 thank you. It really isn't in my blood to blow dough but this will be the last land I will buy. Well, I think so any way! Lol

I have bought and sold land on hand shakes and a very simple process with out all the legal avenues and never had a bad experience. The time things take to buy or sell property is unreal.

Upon return to Paradise, I turned on the TV and Cable box. Both came on just fine. I started to get rid of some DVR'd programs that "slipped" through (thought I'd halted all the recordings). Suddenly, TV went black. I played with it for a couple of hours (Unplug, wait, plug back in. Unplug, wait, push "on" button for 10 seconds, plug back in. Etc., etc.) SO yesterday, went to Costco and plunked down $400 plus tax for a new TV of same size - has to fit the wall mount. That was LESS than the TV that the new one replaces AND the new set is light years ahead in quality and features (and brand name.) Still, for us, that's sort of BTD kind of experience, though YMMV since Costco had TVs for $3K!

How about a leak in my main “hub” drain that most of our bathroom fixtures and kitchen sink and dishwasher drain through? Caused water leaking through the walls and ceiling below. Plumber had to take off parts of the wall and ceiling to access and remove 5 feet of all steel drain pipes and replace with PVC. $500 for that part of the job alone.
Now need to get the contractor in to replace the plasterboard and spackle and paint. No idea how much that will be.

I would have rather bought a new TV [emoji2359][emoji1787]

How about a leak in my main “hub” drain that most of our bathroom fixtures and kitchen sink and dishwasher drain through? Caused water leaking through the walls and ceiling below. Plumber had to take off parts of the wall and ceiling to access and remove 5 feet of all steel drain pipes and replace with PVC. $500 for that part of the job alone.
Now need to get the contractor in to replace the plasterboard and spackle and paint. No idea how much that will be.

Sorry to hear about your leak. Drywall is relatively simple to hang even if you have to hire someone to come in and tape and mud after you get it up.

Having "learned" through trial and error many home repairs including plumbing, electrical and even building our own room addition over the decades is one reason we got by on our relatively low incomes.

How strange, I've never heard of all steel drain pipes, cast iron and PVC are the only ones I've known.

How do you know the rest of the steel pipes won't start leaking soon ?

How strange, I've never heard of all steel drain pipes, cast iron and PVC are the only ones I've known.

Plumber needed to leave and get a different saw blade to cut through the pipes because it was not standard cast iron(?).
It was clear where the leak was coming from a joint near that area of the leak. Who knows if there will be future repairs. We will keep it open for a couple of weeks to keep an eye on it, but so far so good….dry as a bone there and the surrounding drywall has dried out too.
I was never much of a DIYer for home repairs and hiring a professional was usually the cheapest and best option va. Me trying it and screwing it up worse! [emoji23]

We booked are first cruise in three years! Balcony cabin for a week in the Caribbean beginning in late January. Don’t even plan to get off the ship because we just want to enjoy getting away to sea.

After we took the boat out my boat dude asked if I wanted anything else done, yeah replace the gas filler. So he gets out my work order, just so I'm prepared ya know and it $2700, about what I was expecting. Be 3 grand when he delivers it to my marina.

So;

Boat $6800
Repairs $3000
Stereo $1000
And with the new tacho and multi gauge I ordered, call it;

Eleven grand

Being out on the river - priceless - :)

^ so many things now for me, as I age are invaluable. Their is a difference between need and want but if you can why not, even if you don't need it. I tell myself if it makes me happy and will get enjoyment from something, then you should get it and enjoy it before we can't enjoy it any more.

After we took the boat out my boat dude asked if I wanted anything else done, yeah replace the gas filler. So he gets out my work order, just so I'm prepared ya know and it $2700, about what I was expecting. Be 3 grand when he delivers it to my marina.

So;

Boat $6800
Repairs $3000
Stereo $1000
And with the new tacho and multi gauge I ordered, call it;

Eleven grand

Being out on the river - priceless - :)
Robbie,
After I purchased a cabin, I decided a boat was necessary.
I tried getting by with an old runabout my father had, but I worked on it more than I ever used it.
I went out and splurged on a new boat. It was a very extravagant move for me, but I have no regrets doing it.
My friends tease me, because I prefer swimming off the boat over fishing. I just don't care. I anchor in a calm deep bay that I like, crack open a cold beer, and dive in. It is very silly, but also pure genius.
Enjoy your boat.
JP

Sold the 2018 Key West 239 few months ago - and, then the 2017 truck I bought to pull it.

Bought 2021 Subaru Ascent and looking for a smaller boat that does not require a first officer/admiral. Ascent will pull so won't need truck.

Have finished most of the research on a car to replace the admiral's Saab 9-3 convertible. ... either BMW M3 (E46) or M4 (F83) .... six speed manual!

This is the first boat I've owned that you could do this in, has a transom platform with a 2 rung folding and telescoping ladder that stows under the platform.

Upon return to Paradise, I turned on the TV and Cable box. Both came on just fine. I started to get rid of some DVR'd programs that "slipped" through (thought I'd halted all the recordings). Suddenly, TV went black. I played with it for a couple of hours (Unplug, wait, plug back in. Unplug, wait, push "on" button for 10 seconds, plug back in. Etc., etc.) SO yesterday, went to Costco and plunked down $400 plus tax for a new TV of same size - has to fit the wall mount. That was LESS than the TV that the new one replaces AND the new set is light years ahead in quality and features (and brand name.) Still, for us, that's sort of BTD kind of experience, though YMMV since Costco had TVs for $3K!
Silly... just buy a bigger, beefier wall mount for a bigger HDTV... this is the BTD thread!

My Mom's summer home that Dad built in 1962 has 4" copper drain pipe. I figure plan Z for Mom's nursing home costs is to replace the copper with Sch 40 and sell the copper.

This is the first boat I've owned that you could do this in, has a transom platform with a 2 rung folding and telescoping ladder that stows under the platform.
I'm scared that some day I'm going to have a brain fart and jump into the pond off of our pontoon boat without putting in the ladder... I'm not totally sure if I could make it back into the boat without the ladder.

Silly... just buy a bigger, beefier wall mount for a bigger HDTV... this is the BTD thread!

Heh, heh, took the words right out of my mouth. Unfortunately... DW has final say on what happens to all walls - and she said no more concrete screws and no bigger TV mounting. Live with it!

BTD would be a divorce - I'm not prepared to go that big on BTD.:LOL:

Anyway, I always get the last word in every argument: "Yes, dear." YMMV

Generally the mounts are adaptable and the TV of today don't weigh much.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing? How much does a new bigger tv weigh compared to the old tv weight?

Had a rental house (originally a farmhouse) built 1940 with all galvanized pipes...fortunately it was only one level with an unfinished basement so everything was exposed.

Hired a guy who was doing galvanized to copper at the local hospital to do the same for me on the side...still a few thousand bucks all told.

~3 weeks ago we BTD on a DNA test not covered by insurance for DW. She was actually hesitant to do it and I made the case for her. Mission accomplished!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom