Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes sense. You could get a really nice smaller purpose built fishing boat, thinking purely in BTD terms now. The savings on that nice cabin cruiser offset a real toy purchase :)
A diesel mechanic friend of mine does all sorts of conversions. He put a 4BT cummins in a 23' Glasply fishing boat, and it does 31 knt, 4 nautical mile per us gallon.

Last edited:
If this deal goes down, yes. Get the big boat keep it in the slip at the marina where it is now (this is in Stockton close to the deep water channel), then sell the 21 footer but keep the slip closer to where I live. And go from there. All I really need to putt around in is a 17 foot and a 15 would actually work.

^^^ Can you tow a smaller one behind as a dinghy? I tow a car behind my motorhome. :)

Yes, I can. But I could also pop an inflatable on board and power with a trolling motor and a lithium battery.

Sorta anchor for free (boondock) and motor on in for groceries. Yeah, an RV on the river - :)

Tomorrow we will see. Looking forward to it! Yeah perfect for 2 people (sleeping) and a whole party for just a boat ride.

A boat that size is one heck of a fuel guzzler!

No problem with blowing dough there.

Yeah, unity gas mileage. One gallon per mile = 1 mile per gallon.

^ probably has a Chevy 350 or so in it.

Even a large Ranger fishing boat eat the gas. A 100$ bill nothing for a day on the water fishing.

Last edited:
Two Chevy 350's. 1 port, 1 starboard.

^ two 350's will get you up and moving. Lol Out the golden gate with no problem.

My son has a boat he bought many years ago. He paid around 35K for it used and still has and still worth a lot of money. I don't know the name/style or anything other than it is a very expensive fishing boat.

I said, 100$ for a day on the fishing I meant to say 200$. I usually give him a Benjamin when we have gone to help with fuel.

I have a canoe, boats like that cost too much for my blood. I'm way to frugal to buy a boat like his. Lol

Last edited:
How long an excursion do you do on those kinds of boats?

How big is the fuel tank?

The 33 is 200 gallons. Over a grand to fill up.

Yikes, so you can travel out 100 miles and then have to get back.

Still a good long trip for a boat. They're not like speed boats so maybe 30-40 MPH top speed?

Yeah, cruise at 25. But gas up at the marina on the course and go from there.

Not quite as easy as car trips, more planning involved, docking procedures, not like pulling into the Chevron off the highway, but doable. Hail 'em up on the VHF and let 'em know you're coming - :)

with good weather you could journey down to Catalina with that boat, after you get it properly shaken down. Best of luck that it is sound, Robbie.

I always thought that as well about drinking it straight, but the best distillery will recommend tiny tiny amounts of water.

Try a dram or pour with a teaspoon of unsweetened tea, at the same temp as your scotch, bourbon, whisky or whiskey. The tannins in the tea separate some of the individual flavors and "layer" the drink. I received this tip from the WSJ many years ago, and use it on occasion.

Come to think of it, a boat using 1 gal per mile costs you what? You go perhaps 100 miles in a week-long trip? Gas is expensive in CA, so that's $500. Even double that to 200 miles, and it's $1000.

That's not bad compared to the $7200 airfare for 2 business seats that people here egg me on. :nonono:

Last edited:
Come to think of it, a boat using 1 gal per mile costs you what? You go perhaps 100 miles in a week-long trip? Gas is expensive in CA, so that's $500. Even double that to 200 miles, and it's $1000.

That's not bad compared to the $7200 airfare for 2 business seats that people here egg me on. :nonono:

Lol!
That $7200 is probably less than an hour of trading for you. I get how hard it is to get over the cost of things but I'm really starting to realize I can't take it with me either. Get older each and dying with more money than my friends doesn't do me any good.

Frugal is so hard to break for me.

The 33 is 200 gallons. Over a grand to fill up.

A while back, BIL was filling up the tank on his sail boats auxiliary engine. I think the fuel was running somewhere north of $4/gal so he asked the attendant if fuel sales had slowed because of cost. The attendant said "Well Mr. X (local rich guy) just stopped by and put 1,000 gallons in his boat so people are still buying." I can't quite imagine paying $4k - $5k to fill up but I'm sure it didn't bother Mr. X very much.

^ if you can, most will not cut back and some will. I think as far as fuel goes even the ones that should cut back back on expenses don't!

We spend between $3400 to $4000K a year on fuel. Driving is a given for rural life and I/we go every day. I saved to be able to do this and be out doing the things I love to do. Doesn't bother me if that amount was doubled.

So, for us we may not travel the world, but we make up for the expense in other ways.

I have a friend that I went to school with that now lives in Fla. She and her DH have a large cabin cruiser, which they take to the Bahamas frequently. They just finished a trip from their home up the east coast, across the top of US & Canada, then back down thru the US to New Orleans and back across and around Fla. again backhome.
I think the journey has a name they called it. They left in March and just got home last week. It sounded like a great Bucket list type of trip. I enjoyed following along reading about and seeinfg the pictures she posted. I would say they were BTD on that trip!

I have a friend that I went to school with that now lives in Fla. She and her DH have a large cabin cruiser, which they take to the Bahamas frequently. They just finished a trip from their home up the east coast, across the top of US & Canada, then back down thru the US to New Orleans and back across and around Fla. again backhome.
I think the journey has a name they called it. They left in March and just got home last week. It sounded like a great Bucket list type of trip. I enjoyed following along reading about and seeinfg the pictures she posted. I would say they were BTD on that trip!

I believe this is called The Great Loop: https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/great-loop.html

I practiced BTD with fuel back in 2007.
We did a 22 day flying trip across the US and back. Average fill up was ~90 gallons and ~$4 a gallon.

Try a dram or pour with a teaspoon of unsweetened tea, at the same temp as your scotch, bourbon, whisky or whiskey. The tannins in the tea separate some of the individual flavors and "layer" the drink. I received this tip from the WSJ many years ago, and use it on occasion.

Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom