Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OLEDs are weird with the really heavy base and very flimsy tops. It was challenging getting it out of the box and hung due to it's weird configuration. I scared myself a couple of times when I started to pick it up like a normal LED TV and the screen flexed. They are amazing, though.

It’s a good idea to have two people working on unpacking, moving and hanging these units!

DW and I did work on it at the same time. The outer box was configured so that once you cut the wrapping straps, it just lifts off the inner packaging. The screen was so thin that edge on it virtually disappears in the packaging. You have to lay it down on a table to expose the bottom edge and attach the base. The directions warn not to touch the screen, but it's hard to handle the weight from just the screen edge and you can't avoid it flexing a little. We got it done and it's amazing. HD content is so sharp you could cut yourself on it.

Interloping here, cause I like to follow the purchases... we're still in our FIRE wind down phase and have loosened the purse strings.

Anyway, earlier in Feb there was a thread at Jamon Iberico. Was reminded of it as I was at the corner specialty market for some guanciale and rosette de lyon and saw it on the deli chalkboard for $66/lb. They fresh slice it for you.

Not a blow the dough example, but we finally bought a replacement TV for a spare watching room. That begat a new chest and a new sound bar. But for $230 the 43" 4K was a huge upgrade in price/performance from the smaller 1080p (the chest was say more!). But still looking at the 65" OLED for downstairs but the value delivered for so little makes me question the $2K value for money, even with the better viewing angles.

At our Costco last week there was a large pallet of boxes of Jamon Serrano by Noel for $99.99, knife and stand included. I think it was a 14 pound ham. That's a pretty good deal.

Well, I'm sick of driving, researching, reading reviews and finally blow some dough on a vehicle. From Toyota, Chevy, Honda, Buick and Ford SUVS I decided on a Ford Escape.

It was a 2020 hold over with a MRSP of $ 29,945 and with rebates incentives and some dickering got them to $22,023. I also added a trade of the civic and they gave me $5250 for it.
I decided to sell my 2004 truck in a private sale and it sold tonight and got $10,500 for it.
Blow some dough but I felt good about the deal all the way around. So a new ride for $6523. It cost me ~ $384 a year for 17 year for both outfits not including ins. or maintence, but just cost of product itself. One was 17 years old and one was 14 years and both outfits were very good shape and low miles.

Attachments

• IMG_6362.jpg
    IMG_6362.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 429
street, be sure to check to see if the dealer took care of all the recalls on the 2020 Escape prior to selling it. I understand there are six of them.

^ will do. Thanks!
I just entered my VIN and yes 6 recalls, so will ask them about that and see if any effect mine. Not all escapes will have those recalls but some will it says. I suppose they will be able to check from a VIN#.
Thanks for the info.

... I decided to sell my 2004 truck in a private sale and it sold tonight and got $10,500 for it...

Will you miss your pickup? You seem to be an outdoor type who likes to wander out in the back country that is more accessible with a truck.

We have been quite happy with our 8 year old, 55 in. plasma TV. On Monday, it stopped receiving video signal from any source, to any connection port. Bummer. After checking out the current TV tech, we bought a latest model, 65 in. 4K OLED. The picture is mind blowing :eek:. At $2000 it's the most we have even spent on a TV, but we did get it from our local appliance store for $200 under Amazon. It delivers tomorrow.

We have a 55" LG plasma, and every now and then the controller stops working, but the problem is dust in the back part of the tv. I blow hard into the back of the tv and the controller works again for about 6 months.

Totally weird, I found the answer a couple of years ago on the internet, while looking for a new controller. :LOL:

Thanks, hope it is the right decision and can research till your heads hurts and still might not work for you. I have never bought a Ford before so this is a new experience for me.

NW-Bound >
Oh, I still have a ranch pickup and use that for all the heavy lifting and back country things I do. I have had pickups all my life and I would be lost with out one.

just had to many outfits, but I will miss these very much and just because.

heading out this morning to pick up two composite adirondak chairs for the patio/deck off our master. After that two hour drive, we will continue on to a watersports shop to look at Hobie kayak's. $250 each for the chairs and $2500 for a Hobie. Dinner with brother and sister in law, 500 miles on the truck and the total bill for today should come in around $3200. I think today qualifies as a "blow that dough" day.

heading out this morning to pick up two composite adirondak chairs for the patio/deck off our master. After that two hour drive, we will continue on to a watersports shop to look at Hobie kayak's. $250 each for the chairs and $2500 for a Hobie. Dinner with brother and sister in law, 500 miles on the truck and the total bill for today should come in around $3200. I think today qualifies as a "blow that dough" day.

That should end up a happy spending day for things you like.

Well, I'm sick of driving, researching, reading reviews and finally blow some dough on a vehicle. From Toyota, Chevy, Honda, Buick and Ford SUVS I decided on a Ford Escape.

It was a 2020 hold over with a MRSP of $ 29,945 and with rebates incentives and some dickering got them to $22,023. I also added a trade of the civic and they gave me $5250 for it.
I decided to sell my 2004 truck in a private sale and it sold tonight and got $10,500 for it.
Blow some dough but I felt good about the deal all the way around. So a new ride for $6523. It cost me ~ $384 a year for 17 year for both outfits not including ins. or maintence, but just cost of product itself. One was 17 years old and one was 14 years and both outfits were very good shape and low miles.
It looks very nice Street.
Did you sell off your old Colorado?

JP

It looks very nice Street.
Did you sell off your old Colorado?

JP

Nope, I still have that one also. Lol It has 165K and is still a great reliable outfit.

Did you get the Kayak Dawg? We might have to finally meet and do a little kayaking on the Patuxent !!!

Very nice and 27% off of MSRP sounds like a very good deal. Never owned a Ford myself either but did try an Escape once a long time ago when they were probably a completely different animal. Ended up with a Subaru Outback and have stayed in them now for the last 23 years.

That qualifies!:) Those composite Adirondack chairs are much more comfortable than I expected and should last a long time.

Last night, took advantage of Tier 3 status here in the islands and took a group of 8 friends to dinner. It's not a fancy place but the food is really tasty. I picked up the check which, with tip was about $200 (none of us is a wino, heh, heh). I'm sure lots of folks (me included) have spent that much on a meal for 2 to 4 folks in the past. But last night it just "felt" like blowing that dough as we probably didn't spend $200 total last year on "sit-down" dining due to Covid 19. SO for us, it was BTD even if YMMV.

Way to go Street. That car shopping and second and triple third guessing and figuring is exhausting. We did it in Feb and it is a thing for sure. We did like the Escape we checked out. Nice rig and many happy returns.

^ yes it has been exhausting and to many numbers of pricing for to many brands.

The game changer was a Ford dealer that is close to me, all the other brands are 4 hours away. Even thou I didn't buy it from the closest ford dealer I have one close anyway.

My dad would be rolling over in his grave if he knew, I bought a Ford. Lol He was loyal Chevy person.

When my wife and I got married she had a Ford Mustang and we took that home to see my parents one of the first times to visit. My dad wouldn't let her put that ford in the garage. Lol My wife reminds me of that once in a while and both have to laugh.

@koolau, I look forward to that day. I have not had a nice meal in the islands for many years and it would mean a great deal to me.
@street, the close dealer is a great reason. In the heavy equipment business the availability of support seems to outweigh everything else.

I want to be koolau's friend...

Last big spend was ~$4000 for laser eye surgery for the youngest kid so he can qualify for pilot in his service branch after undergrad.

After he's hopefully off the payroll next year I'd like to replace the original wall-to-wall mauve carpet in our home with LVP or something similar, at least in the high traffic areas.

Last edited:
Last night, took advantage of Tier 3 status here in the islands and took a group of 8 friends to dinner. It's not a fancy place but the food is really tasty. I picked up the check which, with tip was about $200 (none of us is a wino, heh, heh). I'm sure lots of folks (me included) have spent that much on a meal for 2 to 4 folks in the past. But last night it just "felt" like blowing that dough as we probably didn't spend $200 total last year on "sit-down" dining due to Covid 19. SO for us, it was BTD even if YMMV.

LOL! That sounded like great evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom