Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice Explorer deal Street!

A few days ago, I ordered some fancy (warm) socks that cost $15 a pair. Never done that before, but my feet FREEZE in cold weather so I thought I'd try one pair. They should arrive today.

We have a 55" LG plasma, and every now and then the controller stops working, but the problem is dust in the back part of the tv. I blow hard into the back of the tv and the controller works again for about 6 months.

Totally weird, I found the answer a couple of years ago on the internet, while looking for a new controller. :LOL:
Finally a problem that can be solved by being a blow hard.

Blowing Dough

We picked up a RAV4 Prime (plug-in hybrid) in Elk Grove, CA Friday on the way to visiting our son the winemaker and sold him the Silverado for about 11k off Bluebook.

It can scoot (305 hp; 0-60 at 5.6 seconds) and got 40.5 mpg on the way back from Modesto to Reno. It has AWD, which is key since we'll use it as the skiing and long-range camping vehicle. MrsRobj thought the Silverado was too big, didn't want a trailor, and we can use solar energy for short distances of less than 42 miles.

We picked up a RAV4 Prime (plug-in hybrid) in Elk Grove, CA Friday on the way to visiting our son the winemaker and sold him the Silverado for about 11k off Bluebook.

It can scoot (305 hp; 0-60 at 5.6 seconds) and got 40.5 mpg on the way back from Modesto to Reno. It has AWD, which is key since we'll use it as the skiing and long-range camping vehicle. MrsRobj thought the Silverado was too big, didn't want a trailor, and we can use solar energy for short distances of less than 42 miles.

Nice. I have a Rav4 now and am about 3 years away from needing a new vehicle and liked the looks of the Prime when it was announced.

What do you mean about the solar ? You've hooked it to solar somehow ?

We installed solar panels in Oct 2019 and traded the Forester for a Chevy Bolt, which gets charged off of our SolarEdge inverter (the panels generate enough during the day to charge it but otherwise it's about 9c/kwh if we charge at night. We have reverse metering so it really doesn't matter much when we charge the vehicles).

So the RAV4 also can charge from our solar inverter for about a 42 mile battery range around town, but also use the gas engine for longer range trips (long distance camping and babysitting the grandkids in CA)

Nice. I have a Rav4 now and am about 3 years away from needing a new vehicle and liked the looks of the Prime when it was announced.

What do you mean about the solar ? You've hooked it to solar somehow ?

An outstanding set of wheels you just purchased. If I would have had a dealer closer then 4 hours away that would of been my new ride also.

I also liked the Escape plug-in like the Escape you got (I think it was you), but AWD isn't available in the plug-in Escape and we go over Donner Pass so often to babysit, the second vehicle pretty much had to have AWD.

We just visited our son the winemaker, and ironically his next door neighbor had a new Escape (I think it was the same color as yours); nice car. Maybe Ford will add AWD in future versions!
Looked and I think it was an Explorer--still looks nice!

An outstanding set of wheels you just purchased. If I would have had a dealer closer then 4 hours away that would of been my new ride also.

Last edited:
Ordered a lightweight 17.3" LG Gram laptop today. As much as I'm on my laptop it's silly to compromise with a older, smaller, slower laptop.

Got a new recliner chair that cost more than my first car. Hard for me to believe, but it's the most comfortable thing I've ever sat in so it's justified, as well as qualifying for the BTD thread!

Ordered a lightweight 17.3" LG Gram laptop today. As much as I'm on my laptop it's silly to compromise with a older, smaller, slower laptop.

I agree. I am on a new HP Envy 15.6" and won't go any smaller. I wanted a full numeric keyboard and I really like the backlit feature on the keyboard as well.
The bigger screen is great for spreadsheets, graphs etc. and I ordered it with 16gb of RAM and a SSD. All good.

Damn things are almost impossible to find. I finished a lease on a Lexus NX Hybrid this month and wanted a RAV4 Prime but couldn't find one. Lexus will adopt the Prime technology in the NX next year. I only had 15K on the NX and the residual was about what I could sell it for so I just bought it. No more leases for me, too little flexibility on when to get rid of it. By next year the Prime will probably be readily available. It will probably be two years before the NX PIH is readily available. By then I will probably have multiple attractive choices to blow my dough on.

Signed up for a woodworking class at MASW (Marc Adams School of Woodworking). I go to a class about once every 2 years. They teach all sorts of things, not just woodworking...including stained glass, working with leather, making new furniture look antique, classes on paint/finishing including "wash" painting, making copper patina, and much more. Their facility is big enough that they offer 4 classes at a time, each on a different subject. They bring in instructors from all over the world, and get the best in the business...many of them are considered authorities and write books, are commissioned by Congress, used for expert testimony, and so on. Most classes are a week long, but they do offer some weekend classes. It's a great place to learn.

I stick with the woodworking stuff. This year (May) I'm taking one on "Detailing your projects" using things like banding and inlays. It's a week-long class. Typical week-long classes cost about $950, and then there are always a few tools you have to buy...so I estimate about $1,400 that I "blew" on that class.

https://www.marcadams.com/

Signed up for a woodworking class at MASW (Marc Adams School of Woodworking).

Good for you! I've got workshop full of tools but I've never attended a multi-day woodworking class but I've always wanted to. I live in the southeast and most of the schools are all in the north. Maybe post covid I can find something in my area.

Just got home from camping in Anza Borrego desert (eastern San Diego county) They had a plein air paint-out art event last week and we timed our trip to coincide with the event. We walked away with two oil paintings. The most expensive camping trip yet!

Looking to build a 1,000 square foot deck out back of our house. First priced last March at $25,000. Lumber prices have shot up over 140% since then and we are now quoted over $75,000 for the same deck. I looked into composite decking and steel framing. Cost is $80,000. For $5K more than conventional wood, this would be indestructible and maintenance free. The problem is that it's still $80 a square foot for a deck that 1/3rd that just a year ago. One contractor suggested I look at it this way; my house is now worth over $375 a square foot, so $80 a square ft for a deck is in line. This includes the deck stairs and railing. Turn key solution.
I'm just struggling with all the things I could buy with $80K other than a deck though. I made the mistake in 2006 on not going forward with buying a helicopter, a Bell Jet Ranger 206, for $125,000. (It's a long story about starting a side business in retirement) The same airship now sells for between $500,000 and $700,000. Will the price of deck materials and construction go up where I'll be glad I bought in at $80K, or will I look the fool to spend that kind of dough on a deck I really don't NEED but really want?

Finally, my chance to post in the BTD thread.

Bought this in central PA today and drove it 390 miles home. 2018 with 17k miles. This thing is LOADED and a dream to drive. My first Jeep.

By far the most expensive vehicle that I have ever bought (but not the most valuable, interestingly enough).

Attachments

• 20210310_101753[1].jpg
    20210310_101753[1].jpg
    776.5 KB · Views: 77
Signed up for a woodworking class at MASW (Marc Adams School of Woodworking). I go to a class about once every 2 years. They teach all sorts of things, not just woodworking...including stained glass, working with leather, making new furniture look antique, classes on paint/finishing including "wash" painting, making copper patina, and much more. Their facility is big enough that they offer 4 classes at a time, each on a different subject. They bring in instructors from all over the world, and get the best in the business...many of them are considered authorities and write books, are commissioned by Congress, used for expert testimony, and so on. Most classes are a week long, but they do offer some weekend classes. It's a great place to learn.

I stick with the woodworking stuff. This year (May) I'm taking one on "Detailing your projects" using things like banding and inlays. It's a week-long class. Typical week-long classes cost about $950, and then there are always a few tools you have to buy...so I estimate about $1,400 that I "blew" on that class.

Excellent, I cannot think of a better way to blow some dough!

... I made the mistake in 2006 on not going forward with buying a helicopter, a Bell Jet Ranger 206, for $125,000. (It's a long story about starting a side business in retirement) The same airship now sells for between $500,000 and $700,000...

If you bought the S&P with that money, you would have $513K now. And it does not require costly maintenance like that chopper.

Even with sleepy Wellesley MF, you would have $361K.

I have been eyeing those for a while. I have a 2017 RAV4 Limited Hybrid that is an absolutely excellent car, so I can't quite justify it. I would like the plug-in feature (I drive less than 10 miles a day, so I'm thinking I will be on electric 99% of the time) and Apple CarPlay would be sweet. But they are pretty $$$ - I would want the top model because that's the version my 2017 is. Plus you need to put $500 at the local Toyota dealer to even get in line for one. I think it's inevitable, but I can probably hold out for a while.

Definitely not a need, but a want...

skippro, wow that's extreme...I'd hold off if you can. But you're right, never know if it may go even higher.

I'll tell you this story...

I was a home inspector for 7 years. Of course on every house, I'd take off the electrical panel cover and inspect the wiring/breakers. We were trained in school that the main line into the house (called the service cable) is typically copper, but aluminum is permitted so long as it is larger diameter...because it's not as good of a conductor as copper.

I started noticing that all houses prior to about 2006 had copper service wires, but then most houses built from about 2006 to about 2008 had aluminum service wire (of the proper diameter), and then houses built from 2009-2010 had copper again. At first this confused me...but then I looked at the copper chart...

copper.jpg

No one knows what will happen with lumber prices...so it's a tough call...but I'd be looking for other options or waiting. What about a concrete patio instead? Can you find some "reclaimed" lumber somewhere else and cut it yourself? What about using engineered I-joists at least for the structure (not sure if they are permitted for outdoor use...but worth checking)?

If you bought the S&P with that money, you would have $513K now. And it does not require costly maintenance like that chopper.

Even with sleepy Wellesley MF, you would have $361K.

Very roughly speaking, I would have also been billing at $850 an hour. I probably would have around 500 hours a year for around $400,000.

skippro, wow that's extreme...I'd hold off if you can. But you're right, never know if it may go even higher.

No one knows what will happen with lumber prices...so it's a tough call...but I'd be looking for other options or waiting. What about a concrete patio instead?

The lay of the land makes concrete not practical. The slope is about 2:1 every 2 feet out the ground drops 1 foot. The deck is 20' wide, so while it starts at essentially ground level, the far end is 10' off the ground.

These steps lead down to where the new deck would go in. The yellow rope defines, very roughly, the deck in relation to the trees. I placed the rope to give an idea of the elevation change from the ground. Also roughly speaking the weed killed area would be the deck area.

My goal was to use steel and composite decking because this is California and I'm in a stage 3 fire zone, highest rated risk. I'd rather it be something not wood.

ACtC-3eutb7LGwlixBy52Y9TJW6-b489siHDzvYxFIMpWj38XwlQcCp0Wg36Nn0-HN45oaqmYUd5ewjeKPztsWDpG_1QUizQkZnZoFc1xIUOaRrhpVIYH6nwXwh5N2NREH16kddAL8UgQFdyNwwCt6sN_oOr=w974-h730-no

ACtC-3ecko7Sd6wkWONyNosQDH1Ge0fUkCnkyW1U_Nlyv6kWxPwWdf9mrnhBL5WkgIi8nNzpBFLUgBd3XnDFvU5sakHErtoSkq0eBzCdRTGpd2q6e7hgQZhgjAwwSqag3prRUoZ9JH_YUSlZaYqKTsvBkK69=w974-h730-no

ACtC-3eztEr9WIVbLqPk9a7NKBGd6HzBZn-LuY5rI266zuxHL8CbVUnOG9lBMjTrGIYwZVAJEQ9i10vm3iYeHgfy_RtK3rBjln3WTfOx_fEfNTutTFUzXT7dCMtf9V6P1TTneVXSy5GTAM-0voDwvK7v2vRf=w974-h730-no

Last edited:
Looking to build a 1,000 square foot deck out back of our house. First priced last March at $25,000. Lumber prices have shot up over 140% since then and we are now quoted over $75,000 for the same deck. I looked into composite decking and steel framing. Cost is $80,000. For $5K more than conventional wood, this would be indestructible and maintenance free. The problem is that it's still $80 a square foot for a deck that 1/3rd that just a year ago. One contractor suggested I look at it this way; my house is now worth over $375 a square foot, so $80 a square ft for a deck is in line. This includes the deck stairs and railing. Turn key solution.
I'm just struggling with all the things I could buy with $80K other than a deck though. I made the mistake in 2006 on not going forward with buying a helicopter, a Bell Jet Ranger 206, for $125,000. (It's a long story about starting a side business in retirement) The same airship now sells for between $500,000 and $700,000. Will the price of deck materials and construction go up where I'll be glad I bought in at $80K, or will I look the fool to spend that kind of dough on a deck I really don't NEED but really want?

Wow, that's expensive.

FYI, I just priced out a basic 16' x 30' deck (480 sq ft) for a friend's cabin. At current lumber prices it's about $5000 (PT wood) with an aluminum spindle railing, deck pads, nails, etc. We'll probably add a basic barbeque station and a bench along one side and a couple planters but that will add less than $1000 to the build. We're building it ourselves.

EDIT* I hope I didn't come across as overly critical. I was comparing a basic deck to something that was probably a work of art with a lot of very nice features. I'm sure I could easily rack up a material list for a 1000 sq ft deck of $20k or more without even trying that hard.

Last edited:
Wow, that's expensive.

FYI, I just priced out a basic 16' x 30' deck (480 sq ft) for a friend's cabin. At current lumber prices it's about $5000 (PT wood) with an aluminum spindle railing, deck pads, nails, etc. We'll probably add a basic barbeque station and a bench along one side and a couple planters but that will add less than $1000 to the build. We're building it ourselves.

So $6,000 for 480sqft complete. That works out to $12,500 in materials for a 1,000sqft deck. Labor would double the cost I figure. Simply look where the footings have to go in at from my photos. I need to go 2 or 3' deep to anchor this thing right. So figure around $25,000 for a turn-key basic wood deck. My deck has 3 levels and 3 octagon shapes incorporated. Not sure how much that would add.
I appreciate your reply.

So $6,000 for 480sqft complete. That works out to $12,500 in materials for a 1,000sqft deck. Labor would double the cost I figure. Simply look where the footings have to go in at from my photos. I need to go 2 or 3' deep to anchor this thing right. So figure around $25,000 for a turn-key basic wood deck. My deck has 3 levels and 3 octagon shapes incorporated. Not sure how much that would add.
I appreciate your reply.

I edited my comment to be less critical, looks like we cross posted ;)

3 levels, octagon, pilings, etc...angles and levels take more time and more material and that's expensive. And I just looked at the photos, definitely a lot more work is involved.

One thought...is the deck 3 levels because of the slope and aesthetics or because there are different levels of the house requiring access? Almost everyone I know with a multi-level deck spends most of their time on one level and if they had to do it again would go with one level. YMMV of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom