Blow that Dough 2024

Starting a plan for visiting Germany, France and Austria in May. Any must see places you know of?

Starting in Paris, train to Colmar, then around south Germany and then to Salzburg & fly out of Vienna.

A proper blow! :dance:

Congratulations and many happy hours, FreedomAtLast!

My biggest hobby is cars. I've been running out of storage space, so when this professional garage became available, I was very interested. But the price was high. So I just treaded water for a long time and watched the price come down little by little over time. It was off the market for awhile then back on. Finally seven months later, after a big price cut, I made an offer and negotiations began. Negotiated the lift, tire changer and air compressor in with the deal. There's a two bedroom apartment upstairs that will pay all the expenses and produce some profit too. I've been wanting a place like this to store and work on my cars and just hang out for a long time. And it's only two miles from my primary residence. Settlement was yesterday. Today I started moving cars in!

First class to HNL from LAX and back, 3 nights at the Royal Hawaiian on Waikiki, 5 nights at Four Seasons Lanai. Celebrating our 40th! We'll visit a few friends in LAX two days before we go across the drink.

Starting a plan for visiting Germany, France and Austria in May. Any must see places you know of?

Starting in Paris, train to Colmar, then around south Germany and then to Salzburg & fly out of Vienna.

May want to post to the 2024 Travel thread or start a thread asking about these specific places.

His and Hers

Bought a Tesla Model Y Long Range for DW last year (2023). Last week I decided it was time to replace my 2009 Nissan Titan pickup. Instead of getting another truck I decided to get what I actually wanted. We bought a 2024 Tesla Model Y Long Range.

Yes, I agonized over the decision. Maybe it makes sense, but that wasn’t the priority.

Blow that dough!

Just decided to replace my 2017 Outback with: a 2024 Outback!!! What can I say, I have had about 4 or 5 outbacks and they provide everything I need - so, no point in exploring other options, I think. Looks like I'll come in just under 30K, so I'm please with that. Wasn't sure it was going to be possible to avoid busting through the 30k ceiling. It's funny, DW and I just discussed a time when I had an unbreakable rule never to spend more than 10k on a new car..... showing my age, I suppose.... :LOL::cool::angel:

Anyway, a new car is not a big deal for me (cars need to get me from A to B, basically), but this is definitely a BTD item for me.

Bought a Tesla Model Y Long Range for DW last year (2023). Last week I decided it was time to replace my 2009 Nissan Titan pickup. Instead of getting another truck I decided to get what I actually wanted. We bought a 2024 Tesla Model Y Long Range.

Yes, I agonized over the decision. Maybe it makes sense, but that wasn’t the priority.

Blow that dough!

Suggestion for your next BTD: "I have one word for you, Benjamin. Solar." :cool:

DW has been hinting at a new vehicle to replace her nearly 17 year-old Infiniti. The vehicle still runs fine, but it is starting to show its age. Between the two of us, we don't drive that many miles separately to warrant a new 2nd vehicle, but it would be nice to have a vehicle that should easily get 50-100% better gas mileage and use regular gas instead of premium.

What she has been looking at would likely cost about $40-45K before any discounts (if available) and any trade-in (which will be a small amount despite the low mileage of ~70K miles). The only question would be whether to do it as an all-cash deal or finance part of it if the rates are low enough.

The new Infinity's have been problematic when compared to the older models: Just something to keep in mind.

We blew some dough on my Tesla Model Y Long range and I LOVE it !!
Also spending on a Florida vacation RV site so we can come back to same place every year.

I think I've told the story before of a friend (who just passed last year.) Around 2010, he bought a brand new truck with all the bells and whistles. He said "This is my last truck, so I want it just how I want it!" 4 years later, he bought another "This is my last truck" and then four years later his last (and this time I really mean it) last new truck. This last time - he was right. He lived to 87! YMMV
I'm not saying last of anything; I just go with the flow.
I bought my 2016 F-150 Lariat new (factory order) a while back, so now it's 8 years old with 90 kmiles.

I'll probably factory order a new King Ranch model at some point when the voices in my head tell me to. But unlike my previous pick-up, my 16 has aluminum body panels, so shouldn't have rust issues like the 04 did...

I was thinking about all the travel charging I’ll be doing on my Costco Citi Visa this year (3% rewards on lodging and dining) and I thought maybe I should raise the credit limit. So I signed in and went through the steps. Citi didn’t ask me to request a credit limit, they picked. They raised it another lousy $1000 ha ha.

I did some calcs and credit limit at any given time shouldn’t be a problem anyway.

I was thinking about all the travel charging I’ll be doing on my Costco Citi Visa this year (3% rewards on lodging and dining) and I thought maybe I should raise the credit limit. So I signed in and went through the steps. Citi didn’t ask me to request a credit limit, they picked. They raised it another lousy $1000 ha ha.

I did some calcs and credit limit at any given time shouldn’t be a problem anyway.

You can always pay the credit card immediately before or after a big charge. Then in a couple of days you can do it again.

I'm not saying last of anything; I just go with the flow.
I bought my 2016 F-150 Lariat new (factory order) a while back, so now it's 8 years old with 90 kmiles.

I'll probably factory order a new King Ranch model at some point when the voices in my head tell me to. But unlike my previous pick-up, my 16 has aluminum body panels, so shouldn't have rust issues like the 04 did...

I can almost smell that King Ranch leather! BTD!

I brought my 2017 F-150 in for an oil change today. Told the guys there that I was thinking about getting a new truck now that I'm hitting 100k miles. They said that I have at least another 100k miles to go.

My 2017 might last that long, but I'd like to be able to enjoy a new truck while I can still drive.

Last edited:
Picked up a new gravel race bicycle for this coming season. This year’s ride has more flex in the frame and can handle wider tires with lower air pressure to take the edge off of the bumps and washboards …. this makes endurance races on rough gravel roads so much easier on my 59 year old body. Less post-race Advil will be needed!

Biggest gravel race I have on the schedule this year so far is a one-day 100 miler with 8k feet of elevation gain. Will be filling up my race calendar with similar events soon.

Wasn’t a large BTD event, but more than I usually spend on a race bike.

I can almost smell that King Ranch leather! BTD!

I brought my 2017 F-150 in for an oil change today. Told the guys there that I was thinking about getting a new truck now that I'm hitting 100k miles. They said that I have at least another 100k miles to go.

My 2017 might last that long, but I'd like to be able to enjoy a new truck while I can still drive.

I changed oil on my truck yesterday and has 200K on it. Still does the job each day but I have one that is scheduled to be built the week of March 18th. I'm ready for a different one also. Like so many say if you don't spend it someone else will. My wife says it is only money and you are getting a new truck. Lol

I changed oil on my truck yesterday and has 200K on it. Still does the job each day but I have one that is scheduled to be built the week of March 18th. I'm ready for a different one also. Like so many say if you don't spend it someone else will. My wife says it is only money and you are getting a new truck. Lol

Heh, heh, 200K miles? It's just broke in good by now!:cool:

Heh, heh, 200K miles? It's just broke in good by now!:cool:

Yep, LOL!! Been a great truck and just keeps on. I'm going to keep that chevy I might need that old horse when this new ford I'm getting can't get it done. Lol

March 18th - you'll have that new truck before you know it. Enjoy!

My recent experiment in FAT spending hasn't gone well. I ordered a premium replacement A/C for my house when a mid-range A/C would have worked just as well. I've been regretting the decision and the new A/C hasn't even been installed yet. How can I ever get to the blessed state of spending without thinking? :confused: The popular media claims that most Americans spend without thinking and are quite content to do so. I've got a lot to learn. :D

You can always pay the credit card immediately before or after a big charge. Then in a couple of days you can do it again.

Yes, that works well. I did that when we were having a barn built and I would charge $12,000 over the phone 1 day and submit a full payment the same day, rinse and repeat every week for a month. Gotta love the cashback too!

Whoo hoo! $1400 co-pay on hand surgery last week (mountain bike crash, broken arm at the wrist), and $1500 full cost on a crown at the dentist this week.

Am I doing BTD correctly?

Right, I can definitely do that. I did some calcs and I think it unlikely that I’ll get too close to my limit in any given month.

I’ll also have it paid off before we leave on our trip. I normally do that just before leaving on a long trip - pay off all credit cards and other outstanding bills.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom