Blow that Dough 2024

Whoo hoo! $1400 co-pay on hand surgery last week (mountain bike crash, broken arm at the wrist), and $1500 full cost on a crown at the dentist this week.

Am I doing BTD correctly?

While you are technically blowing the dough, I can think of a lot funner ways to do it :cool:

My recent experiment in FAT spending hasn't gone well. I ordered a premium replacement A/C for my house when a mid-range A/C would have worked just as well. I've been regretting the decision and the new A/C hasn't even been installed yet. How can I ever get to the blessed state of spending without thinking? :confused: The popular media claims that most Americans spend without thinking and are quite content to do so. I've got a lot to learn. :D

Sounds like you went over the top of the BTD rollercoaster and are still on the downward spiral, thinking "what the hell did i just do!". But like a coaster you'll reach bottom and probably be glad you did it. I can't get up the nerve to go over the top in considering spending 60K on a new car vs 35K. I'll eventually get up the nerve to test drive the 60K just get a "feel" for the difference, kind of like riding a simulated coaster before getting on the real thing.

$2800 for electrician to add 50A EV charging circuit to front of the house
$1150 for 50A EV charger with 40' cord
$33400 for side and back patio pavers
$1100 for replacement 1200CFM kitchen fan - final refresh of 16 year old kitchen remodel

We haven't spent much in the past year so it feels good to blow some dough once in awhile.

Whoo hoo! $1400 co-pay on hand surgery last week (mountain bike crash, broken arm at the wrist), and $1500 full cost on a crown at the dentist this week.

You are certainly BTD, but not in a fun way!
Hope your arm is healing well.

$2800 for electrician to add 50A EV charging circuit to front of the house
$1150 for 50A EV charger with 40' cord
$33400 for side and back patio pavers
$1100 for replacement 1200CFM kitchen fan - final refresh of 16 year old kitchen remodel

We haven't spent much in the past year so it feels good to blow some dough once in awhile.
Normally I'd not count home improvements where the majority of the expense adds to the assessed value of the house as "BTD". More like an investment. But 33K for pavers? If that's right, I wonder if anyone would pay anywhere close to that amount more for your house because it had the pavers, should you want to sell.

Normally I'd not count home improvements where the majority of the expense adds to the assessed value of the house as "BTD". More like an investment. But 33K for pavers? If that's right, I wonder if anyone would pay anywhere close to that amount more for your house because it had the pavers, should you want to sell.

15 years ago we did pavers in the front yard, entry and driveway but could not afford the side yards and backyard patio so those remained concrete. We never do home improvements expecting return because we are never moving unless it is when we are horizontal. This was just completing the job we couldn't afford to finish before. Concrete would have been about 20K.

I wont say its the correct way, but thats were the most of our blown dough is going.

We had a stump grind in the front yard done by the city who controls the trees 8' in from the sidewalk. The tree was dying so they took it out. Re-sodded a lawn over it a year later and ended up with a sinkhole in the lawn 10 years later that was at least 4" deep. Ended up tearing out the lawn where the hole was, digging out the composted stump and backfilling with sandy topsoil and reseeded the lawn myself and it grew back very well.

I dunno. I paid $50 for a single 8" stump in 2016 at a rental. My neighbor got a quote for thinning an oak and a red maple for $450, we clean it up.

Sounds like you went over the top of the BTD rollercoaster and are still on the downward spiral, thinking "what the hell did i just do!". But like a coaster you'll reach bottom and probably be glad you did it. I can't get up the nerve to go over the top in considering spending 60K on a new car vs 35K. I'll eventually get up the nerve to test drive the 60K just get a "feel" for the difference, kind of like riding a simulated coaster before getting on the real thing.

I like how you put it regarding spending money on things like cars. I am still driving my 97 and 98 cars. I have fixed some of today's cars and they are more disposable than ever.

This made a severe dent in our annual travel budget. Just came back from a two week trip to Belize. We had rented an ocean front beach house and invited two other couples to join us as invited guests. Even though it had a full kitchen, we ate out every meal except for two breakfasts.
Before we left, we reserved another beach house in Belize for next year. Came home Saturday and Sunday morning made the final payment for a week in May in the Virgin Islands on a crewed luxuary catamaran.

My thoughts are that, all our life we were thrifty and delayed gratification.
Well, times up. The delay is over. Time for that gratification!

This made a severe dent in our annual travel budget. Just came back from a two week trip to Belize. We had rented an ocean front beach house and invited two other couples to join us as invited guests. Even though it had a full kitchen, we ate out every meal except for two breakfasts.
Before we left, we reserved another beach house in Belize for next year. Came home Saturday and Sunday morning made the final payment for a week in May in the Virgin Islands on a crewed luxuary catamaran.

My thoughts are that, all our life we were thrifty and delayed gratification.
Well, times up. The delay is over. Time for that gratification!

Sounds wonderful! I gotta get me some friends like you. Somehow, I'm always the one who does the treating.

$3700 for 10 stump grinds and 8 tree trims. Waiting for the quotes for some landscaping and replacing driveway.

Just got $12K quote for installing drainage to address a groundwater issue, clearing some brush, taking down a handful of 30' trees, and moving a young tree to a better spot. This is for house #2 (rural). House #1 (urban) will get new backyard deck cedar flooring and refurbish cedar fencing (if salvageable), awaiting quotes.

Never stops with houses/landscaping. And this does not address cost of what will replace of the stuff we're moving and taking out.

Last edited:
The wife gets irritated w/ me when I say houses just money pits.
They have a starting point but no ending. I am happy w/ just a cave like Mr Fred!

Went to the garden center (commercial type, not HD or Lowes-type) and ordered some drainage rock and a cubic yard of very high quality soil to be used to fill in areas after our paver installation.

Soil was $70, rock was $60. Nice purchase. BTD on delivery charge was $145. LOL. If I still had my pickup truck I would have hauled it all myself. Wife made me get rid of my truck (full-size 4x4 Z/71 Chevy in perfect condition, low miles, rarely driven, etc.) because she thought it was a blight on the neighborhood and didn't like the height and said it made too much noise. The sacrifices I made to keep a happy household still amaze me, I really loved that truck but it had to go. I told her the delivery charge was $145 and would have been free if I still had my truck. She said $145 is a bargain for getting rid of that truck. Ouch!!!

I wont say its the correct way, but thats were the most of our blown dough is going.

Sorry to hear that. I can't say that I recommend it myself, but I do get a second surgery in about three months to take out the metal hardware in my wrist. Thanks to everyone for the well wishes.

On the bright side, we are blowing another $8k later this year, doing a repeat (sort of) of last year's vacation in Slovenia and Croatia. Didn't expect to go back so soon, but a vacancy was available, and my brother and his GF are joining us as well.

The nice home loudspeaker upgrade remains on the to do list. Maybe next year.

Wife made me get rid of my truck (full-size 4x4 Z/71 Chevy in perfect condition, low miles, rarely driven, etc.) because she thought it was a blight on the neighborhood and didn't like the height and said it made too much noise. I really loved that truck

I would have told her the truck is staying and she is welcome to go. I can't imagine living with a spouse that makes you get rid of something you love that gives you joy.

DW got her new BMW two months ago, my new Mercedes showed up yesterday.

Instead of making our usual Easter dinner this year we decided to take the extended family to dinner at an upscale restaurant instead which should set me back about $2,000. (but no cleanup!)

Flying out First Class back to Florida the day after Easter. (a seat up front isn't really a BTD as economy is not an option)

Last edited:
Wallet is $4100 lighter thanks to getting new tires for motorhome. Six tires, 295/75R22.5 size big truck tires. Good quality Toyo brand, not the most expensive (that would be Michelin) and certainly not the cheapest made in China tires. All tires have gone up, but the big truck tires are certainly costly. Not just the tire cost, but add in: FET, mount and balance, new valve stems, disposal fees, and sales tax put approx $1000 extra on the bill than just the tires cost.

The part that really sucks is the old tires were 50K miles, and looked near new; but 8 years old and had aged out. These new tires will eventually be the same fate, as they will not wear out before they age out.

Last edited:
Paid Business class plane tickets for our trip to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland for next month - $5300+ for tickets. We also reserved 4-star hotels, and a nice Audi A6 wagon rental. Probably $15,000 for this vacation.
Bought a new IPad for the wife and got an Iphone 14 Pro Max to use for this trip - so cough up another $2000.

I told DW that we could spend about 20% more at least per year. So she decided, for the first time, we would fly first class to Scotland on the Ft Williams to Inverness hike in June, which is about 4x what the flight would be, but she can't sleep on airplanes, and suffered when we flew to the Alps for the MountBlanc hike last year. And she is flying to camp with her younger sister in Pennsylvania in a few months. So I have been successful. (My twin died 15 years ago with progressive myclonic disorder--like slowacting ALS--, so Iencourage her to spend time with her sister and brothers whenever she can. And now she is doing it!) If you can spend time with your family or others--if they are important to you--you should, if you have the resources. If not, of course, that is different.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom