class c RV

would they pull a Subaru crosstrek? Just wondering if you knew..

I would assume so. Some variables. Manual transmission? Tow dolly?

I've seen Liesure Travel vans towing small cars.

They have a Sprinter version and Ford Transit version, so the towing capacity might vary.

A great question for a dealer in your area or on their website.

I would assume so. Some variables. Manual transmission? Tow dolly?

I've seen Liesure Travel vans towing small cars.

They have a Sprinter version and Ford Transit version, so the towing capacity might vary.

A great question for a dealer in your area or on their website.

thanks - it's automatic

good feedback -- those are great looking vans and about the size we want but definitely a little rich

would they pull a Subaru crosstrek? Just wondering if you knew..

I don't know about a Mercedes, but it's very unlikely a Transit based RV can. The highest GCWR Transit chassis is 12,600 lbs. The built out RV is probably 8100-8500 lbs. Add 2 adults, 4 dogs (even small ones), 20 gallons of water, groceries, bedding, clothes, camping supplies like chairs, etc and you'll probably be in the 9500 lb range. 12,600 - 9500 = 3100 lbs left for towing. An unloaded Crosstrek is 3300 so you'll already be over gross. Since the Crosstrek can't be towed 4-wheels down (even the manual transmission version can't) you'll need a tow dolly which will add another 500 lbs. You'll be way over gross.

Rent one for a month and then rethink the idea.:)

This! ^^^^^^

32' is smaller than you think as a bunch of that is taken up by the engine and driver's compartment. Subtract that and you'll be lucky to have 25' of living space.

We've had 3-Class A motor homes (bus type) since 1986...26', 35' and 40'. In each we lost between 3-4 feet of living space due to the driver/passenger area. The advice to rent one, or more, of varying lengths, is great advice that you'd be wise to heed. RV'ing is a great way to travel but it's not for everyone.

Right now you likely have a romantic idea of what it will be like...the open road, crackling fires at night, seeing places and things that you've never seen, moonless, cloudless nights with a canopy of stars that will make you dizzy. And all of that is true. Also true...traffic, crowded campgrounds and RV parks, dumping your waste tanks, using the RV for errands and sightseeing if you don't tow a car, loud, sometimes drunk, neighbors partying late into the night and more.

Try this at home. If you have a room big enough or maybe on your deck, patio or back yard...mark a space 25' long by 8' wide and envision living in that with 4-dogs for multiple weeks. And remember, the actual space will be smaller when the walls for the various spaces, furniture and appliances are added.

Good luck. Happy to answer questions or provide advice as requested.

Try this at home. If you have a room big enough or maybe on your deck, patio or back yard...mark a space 25' long by 8' wide and envision living in that with 4-dogs for multiple weeks. And remember, the actual space will be smaller when the walls for the various spaces, furniture and appliances are added.

I like that idea lol.

Makes me think of using the same thing to decide to buy a boat. Find a small room, put a stove in it, heat it by burning $100 bills.

This! ^^^^^^

32' is smaller than you think as a bunch of that is taken up by the engine and driver's compartment. Subtract that and you'll be lucky to have 25' of living space.

We've had 3-Class A motor homes (bus type) since 1986...26', 35' and 40'. In each we lost between 3-4 feet of living space due to the driver/passenger area. The advice to rent one, or more, of varying lengths, is great advice that you'd be wise to heed. RV'ing is a great way to travel but it's not for everyone.

Right now you likely have a romantic idea of what it will be like...the open road, crackling fires at night, seeing places and things that you've never seen, moonless, cloudless nights with a canopy of stars that will make you dizzy. And all of that is true. Also true...traffic, crowded campgrounds and RV parks, dumping your waste tanks, using the RV for errands and sightseeing if you don't tow a car, loud, sometimes drunk, neighbors partying late into the night and more.

Good luck. Happy to answer questions or provide advice as requested.

Renting sounds good for sure. Really we are most interested for now in small trips to parks within 150 miles of where we live...and might as well rent to do that.

We are also a little pinned down with family caregiving in our house and can't travel much now anyway. Dreaming a little and starting the discussion with DW. All of this feedback is quite helpful.

thanks - it's automatic

good feedback -- those are great looking vans and about the size we want but definitely a little rich

Yes. Gently used should save but then it is used. The MSRP have just skyrocketed in the past 4-5 years. High demand, lower output due to Covid likely.

The nice thing about the B+ size is you should be able to fit more places than a true C. If the tow vehicle is too close due to combined weight, could try brining 2 Brompton folding bikes with. My wife and I each have one. Not that biking can replace a car, but good for buzzing around and much cheaper in the grand scheme.

We have a Class B Coachmen Beyond. It’s an RV built into the largest Transit van made by Ford. We’ve really enjoyed it but space is at a premium. I’m in the process of mounting a 42 inch Plano hard rifle case on a ladder I’ve already installed on the back to give us a little exterior storage.

We used to have two dogs (one big and one small) but our large dog passed last July. Traveling with one small dog won’t be very difficult and he enjoys it.

We love our RV but admittedly it’s not for everyone. We’re actually about to embark on our longest trip ever: a 2.5 week trip to Texas with stops in Memphis, Little Rock, and Hot Springs on the way. We’ll enjoy a National Park, the eclipse, a great campground off a lake, and whatever else we find along the way. We’ll probably drive down and check out San Antonio while we’re in Texas.

We’re thinking about putting an order in for a Leisure Travel Van which would give us a little more room. I think it’s still an 12+ month wait time for a new one depending on which model you want to order. They are the best designed RVs given the size limitations that I’ve ever seen.

Eventually the plan will be retirement and then full-time RV travel for a while or at the least “mostly full-time” with a home base somewhere. If you like the outdoors RVing is great. There’s so much I want to see I feel like I should already be on the road. If you can get the chance I would recommend renting one just to see if you like it. You can always reach out with any questions.

We rented an RV in 2020 and travelled with 2 cats. When DH retires in 2 years we want to buy an RV (gently used) and spend 2-3 months on the road with our 2 cats and our dog.

There are a ton of youtube videos on people travelling with their dogs so you may want to check those out. Some people modify the interior to make a kennel area for their dogs to sleep.

I would definitely rent first and see how it goes.

We are looking at a 32 ft Class C RVs. I have a couple of models in mind for when we are ready to shop. DH and I are fine with small spaces but generally want a kennel are for the dog. We will pull out the dinette and use that space for the kennel - there are just 2 of us and we usually eat on the sofa watching tv. So we also need a sofa or theater seats for 2 since we'll be ditching the dinette. The cats will get the overcab area for their litter box and beds (they had no problem getting up and down from there in our rental). Also a queen bed with space for both of us to get in and out without disturbing the other.

We can't wait. If your dogs are well mannered they will really enjoy it. We did a 2 week road trip with our pup (staying in dog friendly motels and rentals) and she loved it.

Subaru needs to have a manual transmission to be flat towed. Our roomie has a 2016 Outback he flat tows behind his class A.

Back
Top Bottom