Confessions From a Failed FIRE

Tekward

Recycles dryer sheets
Today I accepted an offer for a j*b I don't need.

I've been semi RE'd for the last 6 years and we are OK with health & wealth. The kids are launched, doing well and have their own lives (just spent 3 weeks visiting).

Bottom line, I like the company, j*b & people. They have good benefits and the pay is very fair, especially compared to my volunteer activities. Worst case is I give it 6 months. Best case is that the work life balance is good and at some point I downshift to PT. I'm honestly excited about the future.

I expect the most common comments will consider me crazy, but as Alan Watts might say true wealth not money, it is the opportunity to do what you please. Anyone else un-retire from w@rk by choice?

I'm happy for you.

Everyone gets to choose what they want to do with their time.

Congrats on flunking retirement. As long as you're happy - it's all good.

I've been tempted at times, especially as world travel is too awkward right now.

As long as you are happy and find satisfaction doing it, why not !!

Hopefully you signed on a truck driver to solve the nations shortages ;)

Yeah, long haul truck driver. Free travel and get paid too!

Retirement and FIRE is about doing what you want, and having the flexibility to do what you want...and that's what you've got.

Congrats!

No failure. You get to do what you want.
Not a chance I will ever work again, but that is me.

You don't fail FIRE by opting into working. You fail FIRE by HAVING to work.

I'm sure there are others of us who have been tempted by a good organization, team, company (but my temptations evaporate at the idea of getting up and commuting further than my driveway every morning).

To me, the important part of FIRE is FI. You are free to choose whichever path feels best at the time. I would not describe choosing to take a job that feels just right as a failed retirement.

DW retired 3 years after me. That was 5 years ago. She never really found a rhythm in retirement, except for travel. With travel largely shutdown, she's been looking for a change.

She finally decided to go back to work. Not in her old engineering field, but as a substitute teacher. There is a huge shortage of people willing to substitute in our area. The pay is pretty terrible. Lots of stories of classrooms run by administrative staff.

So she decided to go for it. The pay is so bad... it's really more like volunteer work. But she's doing something that makes a difference and gives her a sense of purpose.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are others of us who have been tempted by a good organization, team, company (but my temptations evaporate at the idea of getting up and commuting further than my driveway every morning).

That would be me- I considered temporary office jobs but realized I'd have to set an alarm and be in a particular place at scheduled hours.

You're doing what you want to do and building up more financial security. If you don't need it, charities and your heirs will appreciate it.

As others have noted, it's a "failure" if it's not a choice. I always wonder about people my age (68) working in Wal-Mart or the grocery store and wonder if its because they like being out of the house and doing something or they retired at 62 and their SS payment isn't going very far.

You've talked about this on and out for awhile, you're not a youngster either. Go for it and get it out of your system. That company will be lucky to have you.

Maybe you'll be like my 73 YO DH who stills farms for "fun". Although after yesterday when they had to pull out two batteries and other assorted parts to swap out a leaking power steering hose on the big tractor he might have a different attitude.

The work space was so tight he had duct tape on his forearms so they didn't get scraped.

The work space was so tight he had duct tape on his forearms so they didn't get scraped.

That is very clever. I have been in similar "scrapes" and have never thought to do that.

Maybe you'll be like my 73 YO DH who stills farms for "fun". Although after yesterday when they had to pull out two batteries and other assorted parts to swap out a leaking power steering hose on the big tractor he might have a different attitude.

^That sounds like fun to me.

DW wants to work a few more years. We are FI. I've been off since the end of June. I start a new gig next Monday. 6 figures. Work from home. Stuff I love. Actual work= a few hours per day. I seem to keep running into folks in their late 60's, 70's and 80's who tell me to stay busy and engage the brain. It's a work in progress. I sleep well at night being FI.

Gumby and Big you guys are not helping my cause...

Gumby and Big you guys are not helping my cause...

:LOL: Sorry. I've said it before; all about FI. RE? Not so much. FI gives me the freedom to do whatever I want. That want might include that horrible Jay OH BEE! The new gig starting next week will have aprox zero negative effect on my schedule/freedom. DW knows that as sson as there is something with the new gig that bothers me, I'm out.

I've always felt that the important part of our journey is reaching FI. That gives you the freedom to do whatever you want with your time.

Back
Top Bottom